How Clean is Carbon Ring Clean?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by centershot, Feb 6, 2019.

1. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

I used Iosso and Carb-Out to clean out the "carbon ring." How clean should the final patch be? It seem impossible to get it to not have "black" on the patch.

2. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

Iosso turns black as you scrub (as it breaks down), and comes out black. It can take a little work to remove it all. The Iosso "Triple Action Oil" works very well to get the Iosso paste out, and is what there instructions recommends to use in conjunction.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Rsadams, dogdude, centershot and 2 others like this.
  3. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Silver $$ Contributor

Most of it comes out with abrasives which turn black when you use them, so patches are a poor indicator; they'll turn black even in perfectly clean throats.

If you don't have a borescope it's probably easier/more accurate to "feel" its removal, rather than trying to judge by the color of patches. The color of patches doesn't mean much in terms of throat cleanliness....at least in my experience.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    centershot, moondog and mike a like this.
  4. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I thought I was on top of it till I got a Borescope. A patch really won't tell you jack.
    Find someone who has one and take a peak.
    You may or may not need to change your cleaning procedure.

5. centershot

I used a scope to check out the throat before and there was a ring, along with some copper fouling in the throat. Did not know that the Iosso turned black on the patch. Thought there was still carbon in the throat. Thanks for the heads up.

Boatschool02 and dmoran like this.
  6. JMayo

JMayo

Just spin brush in the neck area a few times before you push it through.

wbm and rardoin like this.
  7. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

^^^^^ I use a bronze brush one caliber up from the bore caliber on a chamber length rod with a carbon cleaner...short stroke it and rotate it. It works faster/cleaner than Iosso for the chamber end/throat. I still use Iosso on a same caliber nylon brush every couple of hundred rounds or so to clean the entire bore. Just the bronze brush and cleaner WILL get all the carbon out of that area...and do it quickly.

McGraw, Sundown and moondog like this.
  8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew

I cant reverse a caliber correct brush much less one caliber up

Mike Powers, Danley, JMayo and 2 others like this.
  9. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I use one caliber size up and just rotate in the throat area. I can only short stroke the throat.

bigstick6017555 likes this.
  10. rardoin

True on a new brush...once used a bit it becomes easy. On a new one I just twist in then twist out. After a dozen uses it will reverse. I do suppose it is time for a new .270 brush soon.

11. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Soak a patch Hoppes and use a plastic jag. Push it up into the carbon ring and let it set overnight. If the carbon isn’t super hard sometimes it will soften it enough to let a brush get it out pretty easy. If it’s been cooked to well done get out the JB or Isso..

JBT likes this.
  12. wedgy

wedgy Gold $$ Contributor

Some paste Isso/JB color doesn't matter on the brush or patch, the borescope will show you what's there or not, some guns it matters and some it doesn't.
    I have dreadful throats that shoot better than Miss America Barrel. Explain me that

13. rardoin

Try a bronze brush as per my previous post. I find it faster and less messy than Iosso for routine cleaning and works as well or better. I reserve Iosso/nylon brush for the rest of the bore every 3rd to 4th cleaning.

Robin

14. centershot

I went to the range to see what my carbon ring removal did. I shot 9 five shot groups, including three fouling groups with three different bullets. Worst was .527, best was .156. Average was .356. 6 PPC. Now have 3,000 rounds down the pipe. I am satisfied.

simo hayha and Dgd6mm like this.
  15. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

There are a couple of things being discussed and some may not know the difference. Powder fouling will accumulate in the chamber right at the point where the neck part of the chamber ends, with a 45 degree transition to the freebore. The one caliber up brush twisted when you feel the resistance at the end of the neck works for this. IOSSO is not needed, but it probably would speed things a bit. Then there is the matter of hard carbon, which shows up in a different place a little farther forward, and sometimes on down the barrel a bit. For that, after a regular cleaning, I load up a nylon brush with IOSSO and short stroke the affected area, making sure to remove all of the IOSSO from the barrel, chamber, lug recesses, and bore guide when I am finished. I also expect that the barrel will take more shots to settle down after that sort of cleaning. IMO calling simple powder fouling carbon just confuses the issue.

Rushty and JBT like this.
  16. centershot

I was a bit concerned about how the rifle would shoot after my above procedure. It shot a .445 group clean barrel including the fouling shot. After that it shot a .156 with the same point of impact. bottom line is that I believe the process increased the accuracy.

Dgd6mm and BoydAllen like this.