How big a round will a pillar bedded Panda action take?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by HTSmith, Sep 7, 2018.

1. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

I bought a Panda in 6BR pillar bedded in a McMillan Tooley style stock from a member here. I absolutely love it. I'm thinking about getting another barrel chambered for it and was wondering how much recoil the action/bedding would take. Its the regular action without the front recoil lug.

I was thinking about a 6.5x47 Lapua. Reckon it would be OK?

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

With the tang the way it is you should be fine. As with any custom action id glue it in as well. With that you know its going to work.

3. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I just bought a Panda actioned 6x47. It was lightly used. I don’t see any cracks in it.:eek: It’s a bolt in, not a glue in. I’m shooting it for the first time, tomorrow. I’ll let you know!;) I’m pretty sure it’ll take it. Like Dusty inferred, the tang acts like a recoil lug.
    7D2C5A59-272D-430C-BDCA-7079DA25940A.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Dusty Stevens and T 700 like this.
  4. HTSmith

OK, looking to hear back. I'm guessing the brake takes some of the sting out of it.

5. X Ring Accuracy

X Ring Accuracy Site $$ Sponsor

It will take more than you can handle : )

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  6. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Hey! Thanks for the reminder! I put 50 test rounds thru the gun using Berger 105s up to “a little over max book loads”. I see no problems with the stock and no loosening of the action. I’m putting some more loads together, now. My brass is in the tumbler as I type this.:)
    I shot some of the first groups with a hard hold and some went off in free recoil.

HTSmith likes this.
  7. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

I'm running one in a 284 Shehane without any issues at all.
    I hope this helps,

Lloyd

8. HTSmith

Helps a ton. A 308 w/ 185's shouldn't be an issue for me then. Please confirm--you have the regular Panda without the front recoil lug?? Thanks much

9. alinwa

alinwa

I'm less about "handling it" (because what does that MEAN??? "Won't bust the stock??") and more about transfer of energy to the surrounding stock. Picture the forces involved....... basically you set the gun up on the bags then take an uppercut swing at the muzzle using a baseball bat.

WAKK! Backward and upward. Remember lots of shakey upward......

I recently did a Panda 308-sized setup. My first one larger than PPC/BR and first one NOT glued in. They really are designed as glue-ins :)

In my case, I'm all about vibrational feedback so I want the Panda to bring the stock with it when the barreled action ROCKS up and back....... I want the barrel/stock "tuning fork" to act together.

Because the panda has no recoil lug I took it another way. First I opened up behind the action to leave a 3/16 rim of bedding showing and dremele'd in, undermining into the tang and tunneling down into the wrist so the "recoil lug" action tang is firmly and solidly contained and backed by a slug of epoxy.

Now, on the front I was concerned about sucking the pillars UPWARDS while trying to drag the stock up under recoil.... so (and this is O.V.E.R.K.I.L.L..... but so one ever accused me of being sane!) I machined 2.5in diameter AL discs and epoxied them to the bottom of the 3" wide stock where the screws come thru.

The gun is shooting great, dead as a smashed toad and VERY amenable in the baggage.

I'm running it at 600 as we speak, will try snap a pic

txdan likes this.
  10. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

By design, pillars do one thing, and one thing only.

11. alinwa

alinwa

what I did

20180915_123214.jpg

jbhotrod likes this.
  12. Dusty Stevens

13. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

Well I guess those pillars aren't going to pull through!

14. HTSmith

Adjust the trigger with a regular allen wrench??

15. Dusty Stevens

Wrong spot for that (screw is at an angle) plus the short side of your wrench does that- and the shoe is in the way (actually looks like its in the hole)

16. HTSmith

Bad guess. Mebbe Al will clue us in.

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  17. hpshooter

hpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

My money is on clearance for the trigger.

Trigger guard didn't have adequate clearance and owner didn't want to cut the trigger or re-bed the action higher in the stock.

joshb likes this.
  18. alinwa

alinwa

Panda is deep..... stock is an antique McMillan 1st gen Rem 700 mold. Yes, the hole is just cuz I didn't want to grind the trigger. It's a Light spray-n-pray gun

19. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

I'll assume that this post was meant for me. I have three Pandas, all ar the Big Bore variety with the front lug.

Lloyd

20. Dusty Stevens

And it aint function as a recoil lug