How about a 6BRA vs 6 Dasher shootout?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by jamesdmock, Jan 18, 2019.

1. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

We all enjoy the exploits of the Dasher Dome gang (Shayne, Birdog, Junebug, and others. Maybe the Dasher group could offer a challenge to a 6 BRA group of top shooters. Maybe they could shoot 600 yards at IBS target or other like the Australian Fly target. Just an idea and if it were to happen, can I have the popcorn concession?:) Good shooting...James

Bart, if this comes to pass maybe you could be the captain (or Colonel) of the BRA team.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  2. JasonPeterson

JasonPeterson Gold $$ Contributor

These shootouts happen at every 600 and 1000 yard BR match :)

Tom E, LRPV, GlennK and 12 others like this.
  3. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

That is very true and at our 600 yard matches last year, the Dashers prevailed. However, there were only three BRA shooters that competed regularly. I have a feeling that things may be a little different in 2019. Good shooting...James

MrMajestic and dogdude like this.
  4. Gabe22BR

Gabe22BR Gold $$ Contributor

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Lots more folks push the bra than actually use it

Danley, Wooten, drags and 3 others like this.
  6. Downhill

Downhill

Just kinda curious, what cup size is the 6BRA? A? B? C?????

Wooten likes this.
  7. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

I think the Dasher has more rifles out there, the BRA had there trial year this past this year will be the test! I'm staying with the Dasher. The guy or Women with the best Barrel will win.

Joe Salt

BartsBullets and comagutsa like this.
  8. johara1

johara1

Best barrel and the best bullets will win.... jim

blowemup, dedeadeye, Danley and 6 others like this.
  9. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I think it will be a wash. I think the BRA is a little more user-friendly when it comes to brass prep and FFing. After that, it comes down to the mentioned barrel & bullet combo and of course the driver of the rig.....;)

Regards
    Rick

10. good2go4it

good2go4it Silver $$ Contributor

As my gunsmith told me I can build you a straight true rifle but at the end of the day the Indian still must pull the string..

RDA72927 likes this.
  11. 1BAD284

1BAD284

It’s hard to fix the nut behind the butt no matter what you’re shooting. I am living proof of that!

12. HUNTER3401

HUNTER3401

When I started experimenting with 40 degree shoulder 6BR back in 2015 it was not to find something more accurate than the Dasher, it was to find something that was EASIER THAN THE DASHER. I had turned, prepped, and blown out hundreds of Dasher brass years ago. It was all at the end of its life now. I had always noticed with a max load in the Dasher it still did not fill the case, there was always more space in the case. PPC shooters wanted a full case! So why were we blowing the case out and strething it so much? I had heard the 40 degree shoulder makes for a “perfect boiler room” to burn the powder more effieciently and completely. I think of it like a car engine’s combusion chamber. Think of a street car vs a NASCAR piston chamber, change the piston’s head angles qnd you get a more effiecient combustion chamber and more HP out of the same displacement. I don’t know all the correct engine terms here, but I hope you get the point. In 2015, I had shot BR long range many years and I did not want to spend so much time making Dasher brass again, so I took a 6BRDX finish reamer I had and ran it in a standard 6BR barrel I had to just enough to make a 40 degree shoulder to experiment with. I quickly found the brass was easy to make and kept the long standard BR neck. Maybe it was a fast barrel, but I chrongraphed Berger 105 Hybrids up to 3050fps with only very mild pressure signs, not enough to ruin the brass after many firings. But I found accuracy was between 2920-2970fps, faster than that and groups definitely started opening up. The barrel as a BR would start showing pressure after 2900fps. I then rechambered another std 6BR barrel the same way to confirm my findings. It had been a good shooting 6BR barrel. This barrel started off shooting better with the 40 degree shoulder than it had with standard BR chambering. I found it easier to tune than any st BR or Dasher I had ever had. The first time out I shot two or three groups in row in the 0.8 inch range at 500 yards WITH different powder charges! I had never had a Dasher or standard BR shoot that good. This was enough info. for me to now to have a reamer made.
    I found the 6BRAI (I call it) easier to tune and much easier to make good cases. It kept the long BR neck. Fire forming rounds were very accurate and brass could be fully expanded after one firing. With Dasher brass I like to FF twice at a low powder charge or I would lose primer pockets early. The AI reamer I had made was a .272 no turn and was made to have a “crush fit” of 4 thou. (0.004) for std. 6BR cases just like P.O. Ackley use to recommend. The FF round head spaces on the neck shoulder junction, so no need for false shoulders or necking way down to get a lot of tension so you can set the round in the rifling hard tO FF the Dasher.
    With all this said. Do I think the 6BRAI is more accurate than the DASHER? Probably not. Like said before, accuacy has more to do with a great barrel matched with great bullets, ALSO, a great shooter shooting in good conditions. The question to me is: WHICH ONE IS EASIER TO MAKE AND TUNE? To me that easily goes to the 6BRAI. Unless you are very experienced with the Dasher, you will be able to make very good 6BRAI fire formed rounds much faster and easier than you vrs the DASHER, this should lead to better accuracy for the less experienced shooters.
    Note: I have just about quit posting on here for people picking my posts apart. I don’t pick other peoples posts apart! I don’t claim to know it all, I am still learning, this is all my opinion based on my findings, please be respectful!
    Samuel Hall

JBT, ckaberna, H Brewer and 47 others like this.
  13. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC

I think some people need a life. I will take the best shooter on the relay with the best conditions. You can have any cartridge you want. Some of these conversations give me a headache. I need an aspirin. My wife says I get crabby when I can't get out and shoot. I don't understand.

gunnermhr and R.Morehouse like this.
  14. Pappy42

Pappy42 Gold $$ Contributor

It ain’t the arrow; it’s the archer.

15. johara1

johara1

Both the Dasher (that I had a lot of success with) and the 6 Br. imp.Seem to share the same useable velocity. But the 6 Br imp. is way easier to Make great cases. .... Easy to tune? ... go for the 6 BR. Imp...... jim

Pappy42 and BartsBullets like this.
  16. johara1

johara1

It takes both, don't let anyone kid ya.... jim

Pappy42 and Toby Bradshaw like this.
  17. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

18. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks so much for all you have done for the sport Sam. I've followed your findings since the beginning. I did my "BRA" last year and couldn't be happier. 3 of my shooting buddies that run Dashers have switched over to the BRA. I call them by cup size now! B cup, C cup, and training BRA. I've noticed quite a few Smiths, Shooters, Loaders who have helped me enormously, strangely absent from this site. I think it's sad to see but I think you are spot on with what's happening. Hope it changes. Respectfully, Thanks again.
    Tod

JBT and BartsBullets like this.
  19. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Very Well Said Mr. Hall!
    Thank you!

Bart

MrMajestic likes this.
  20. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

Thank you for your time and effort. Troy