House arrest!

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by thejamesd, Mar 21, 2020.

1. 338 dude

338 dude Gold $$ Contributor

but everyone’s thoughts are influenced by many inputs dumb asses even more so

2. SGK

SGK Silver $$ Contributor

Sure. And quality leadership matters.

Read the foremost study on the topic, the paper that is shaping public policy now and over the last couple of weeks. Link above.

Anyone bitching about current self isolation rules needs to understand that the study estimates a requirement of 5 months of such policy. Even then the virus flares up again afterwards. Read the paper. Of course there is a lot of uncertainty but it is based on best-available data as of a couple of weeks ago.

New Gun and joshb like this.
  3. 338 dude

Relax I am at home I believe this is a problem and I also believe that I do not like the government closing down businesses naming what they think is essential I am completely neutral on this as for my opinion like I said I am staying at home

New Gun and Scalloper like this.
  4. outasite `08

outasite `08

rebel, I would go with you but I can`t run anymore. Let us know how it goes. Jeff

New Gun likes this.
  5. moondog

moondog Silver $$ Contributor

Maybe if we told people the brain is an app.
    They would start using it!!!

D-4297, New Gun, Snuggie and 3 others like this.
  6. Gina1

Gina1

Read a description of a patent on a ventilator with coronavirus, drowning in their own blood and bodily fluids.
    Think I'll try and stay home as much as possible. Don't need no government order, just good common sense.

D-4297, New Gun, swd and 3 others like this.
  7. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino Silver $$ Contributor

I'm not building those hunks of iron with a cannon mounted on it, that isn't what I'm used to doing in my job description...….Joe Blow , employee #34098, Chrysler Corp.
    1941 Webster, adj. selfishness.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    338 dude likes this.
  8. JimT

JimT “I don’t even own a piece of camo!”-Kenny Jarrett Gold $$ Contributor

Joe Salt likes this.
  9. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

300_whisper and shoobe01 like this.
  10. JimT

So you are saying we should ignore the published French study??

11. Twicepop

Twicepop Silver $$ Contributor

I addition to that, back when Bill MF Clinton was a student at Rhodes College, it was said that he went to Moscow for some meeting with Soviet officials. It was also said that at at time there was a large assembly of Chinese dignitaries in Moscow and attended that same meeting. Back when Bill MF Clinton was President, at the time he signed the NAFTA trade agreement, he also issued a Presidential decree giving China "most favored nation status" for unlimited access to American markets. This was/is around the same time that he GAVE the Chinese our technology for ICBM's.

12. JimT

13. Toby Bradshaw

I'm saying that:

1) the credibility of news sources matters, so don't waste time reading non-credible sources
    2) any drug intervention study is preliminary, and will require many months of validation -- months that we do not have in the exponential growth phase of COVID-19. It took more than 20 years to develop and deploy a drug cocktail that made HIV-AIDS a treatable disease. Antiviral drug therapies have a terrible track record. For instance, other than HIV-AIDS, name a single viral disease that is successfully treated with drugs.

We will either contain the first wave of SARS-CoV-2 by social distancing, keeping the health care system afloat until a vaccine is developed, or we will have double-digit percentages of the population infected by mid-summer. East Asia showed that the virus can be contained, but the west ignored the lesson and is paying the price.

338 dude and Highpower-FClass like this.
  14. JimT

?????
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remdesivir

You may be right, but I am thankful there are scientists on the front lines who haven’t thrown their hands up and given up!

15. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

Funny how when Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson get the bug, it's all front page news. When they recover in just a few days nothing but crickets. Come on folks, calm down and get on with your lives.

16. 338 dude

Don’t you think they may have gotten a little special treatment better than what the average person would get because they can afford it I would like to think everyone gets treated the same but I kind of know better

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    D-4297, New Gun, Twicepop and 2 others like this.
  17. Toby Bradshaw

And in less time than it took to test remdesvir an Ebola vaccine was developed.

Drug treatments are worth exploring but the pace of the pandemic is not going to permit testing at scale.

18. SGK

Suppression provides time to properly test treatment assistance drugs (including the likes of Hydroxychloroquine) and find a vaccine (if that's possible). The purpose of Neil Ferguson's study was to look at the potential impact of mitigation and suppression tactics - non-pharmaceutical interventions - on reducing the strain on the healthcare systems of the US and UK. Note that the authors do not expect a properly tested vaccine for 12-18 months.

D-4297 likes this.
  19. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Jim T did you read that the Nigerians OverDose it's Prescription Drug. They used to much. When reading the news read between the lines. And my old Science teacher away said believe nothing of what you read and half of what you see.

Joe Salt

20. SGK

From a GS research report released yesterday:

Barry Bloom is Professor of Public Health, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health