Hot temps and load reduction

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by topclass2017, Jul 12, 2019.

1. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

Bullets go faster in thinner air.
    Chamber pressure goes up in thinner air.

I really don't think its the temperature at all.

I mean if you leave the ammo in the sun until its 150 degrees then that is an issue. Or vice versa leaving your ammo in a freezing car overnight, you will start to see velocity reductions. But you could bring the cold ammo in the chamber for a few extra seconds on a warm barrel and bring it up to summer temps even then. Cold ammo is much worse than hot ammo. Hot ammo shoots good.

But that little bit of time the ammo is exposed to external temps is not what most people are seeing that moves them out of the node, or takes them over the top of max pressure.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. topclass2017

topclass2017 Silver $$ Contributor

urbanrifleman: I don't think thin air is my problem - I'm shooting at +/- 1,000 feet of elevation in Central Texas. The impact of 100* days and barrels that heat up quickly (and conversely don't cool down quickly) seems to be more of my problem.

I'm going to adjust my load to a lower node to address the problem.

3. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

I would just adjust to the very bottom of the node you are on. If you use a lower node, the heat will just make it go out of tune. You can certainly go to a much lower node and the barrel will not heat up as fast. That is true.