Hornady OAL Gauge

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by centershot, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

I have found this to be the most reliable method yet, I do have the Sinclair tool and the Hornady, even though it is plastic push rod it does work well.

dbduff likes this.
  2. mchees1

mchees1 Silver $$ Contributor

+1 on this. My Hornady gives me repeatable CBTO length for every rifle and caliber I own - always 0.001 or less (caliper measures to 0.0005). Agree that it is a reference point that is absolutely repeatable.

3. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

For those folks having success with Alex's method, does it work on as well on a Remington 700 action (most are known to have primary extraction deficiencies)?

Old dog, wanting to learn new tricks.

dmoran likes this.
  4. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

Then you have guys like me with my Bighorn actions. I've been using the Wheeler method with good repeatably. Just not in the Bighorns. I like what Nedd and Donovan have to say. Maybe you guys can come up with a floating bolt head technique. Argh! Mike

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/arc-nucleus-action-reviews.3985594/

Check like post #7 by pat miles to see one solution for a particular bolt head. Gotta think outside the box and come up with a solution

mike a likes this.
  6. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

7. hpshooter

hpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

"Check like post #7 by pat miles to see one solution for a particular bolt head. Gotta think outside the box and come up with a solution"

When using the Wheeler method on a Savage I use one wrap of Scotch Magic Mending tape to retain the cross pin for the bolt head. Check to be sure the bolt will drop closed from its own weight to assure the tape is not introducing drag.

mike a likes this.
  8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

No im just saying there is ways to remove the cocking piece but still retain the bolt head

mike a likes this.
  9. Bogusname

Bogusname Gold $$ Contributor

I like to use the Hornady tool for starting the stripped bolt method.