Hornady AMAX - still in production?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Baer45, Feb 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Baer45

Baer45 Gold $$ Contributor

This will Win stupid question of day but is hornady discontinuing it’s AMAX line? The reason I ask is I don’t see them for sale in as many calibers anymore?

Big_Daddy likes this.
  2. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

ELD is the replacement. AMAX have been discontinued for a good while now, so what you are seeing is new old stock.

Big_Daddy likes this.
  3. Baer45

Baer45 Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks, shame I liked them in a couple of guns and were affordable in bulk

Don and Mark W like this.
  4. Zero333

Zero333

Hornady still makes the 30 cal 168 gr Amax as well as the 50 cal 750 Amax.

For the first couple of years some of the new ELD-M bullets were the same exact A-max but with their new Tip.

I'm sure a handful of the ELD-M bullets are still the same as the old A-max, but with out having newer lots in hand to compare with the old A-max, it's hard to confirm.

5. Road_Clam

Road_Clam

I was very disappointed at the news of the Amax discontinuation on most of their calibers. With my R700 Sondero 300WM it took me a LOT of frustrating testing to acquire a consistent 1 MOA load , finally found "the" load with the 208 Amax and H1000 powder. I'm fortunate I bought about 1500 210 Amaxes back years ago for a great deal. Still have about 900 but once they are gone i'm back to the testing with the replacement 220 ELD-X

6. Zero333

Zero333

Shortly after they introduced the ELD-M line of bullets, I bought some of the 208eldm and compared them side by side to the 208 amax, and the measurements were identical !.

I haven't bought newer ones, so I can't say if the latest 208eldm are still the same as the old amax.

loadnhot likes this.
  7. ebb

ebb

My 6.5 shot 140 Amaxs almost as good as Bergers and JLKs. I sure miss them. Like Alex Wheeler said about carbon wrapped barrels seems like the recommended choice is always the more expensive one.

8. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm

I'm shooting the 105 Amax in my 6br, 2500 of them. When they run out I'll finish the barrel up with something else.
    I have the .208 Amax that I'll be shooting in my .308 at a 1000 yard f class Match the end of the month.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    kneedtospeed likes this.
  9. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

.223 80 Amax was a great Bullet .....
    The Eld’s in .223 A waste you have to throat you Barrel .

Sad Day in Deed .

Mark W likes this.
  10. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

I purchased a box of the .224" 52-grain ELD-M to try after being crushed to find the 52-grain AMax had been discontinued. I found that accuracy in my .22/250 was equal to that when using the same loads with the AMax. Luckily I mentioned this to a friend who is the world's leading Pack Rat. He checked around in his mountainous stash and found me nearly 1,000 AMaxs that he had bought but never used (no real surprise. He loves to buy, not use.) So at least for awhile I'm happy, until those run out and its the ELD-Ms again.

GotRDid and joshb like this.
  11. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

Wait, I'm confused. What's the problem with the new ELD then if it shoots equal to the old ones in your gun?

I guess I'm just generally confused. If the AMAX were still around, the price would have increased anyway. The new ELD is in the same market spot/price bracket relative to other match bullets as the AMAX used to be.

A dollar just doesn't go as far as it used to, but then again, I make more dollars now than I used to. I think they call that inflation.

12. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

I certainly don’t have the data to prove or disprove your statement, but it was my impression at the time that the ELD line came on market at a higher price point than the Amax left.

I never really believed the whole melting tip story. Even if true, it didn’t affect the vast majority of Amax users. In my opinion the whole thing was a marketing ploy to replace an affordable solid performing bullet with a more expensive yet very similar version.

As a former Amax user, since the change I have purposely avoided anything in the ELD line and have found much happiness with Sierra, Berger, and Bart’s.

dibbs and mrjdasr like this.
  13. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

Actually nothing more than comfort zone. Old habits die hard. Once I found the AMax had been discontinued, the old OCD kicked in.

14. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

Think what you want but that's not true. It was a problem with some bullets in some calibers at some velocities. Many of us knew for years there was an issue but couldn't identify the problem. When Hornady got their dopplar radar up and running they immediately ID'd the problem.

Price gouging lets compare.Midway pricing
    Hornady 6.5 140 ELD-M $37.99
    Berger 6.5 140 Hybrid Target $49.99
    Hornady's are selling at a 24% discount to Berger's.
    You decide.

dibbs and shoot4fun like this.
  15. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

when I talked to hornady, the new tips (eld vs v/amax) were only in bullets the BENEFITED , so others were here to stay.
    eld/vmax/amax co-exsist

I was specifically asking them about their 6mm 105.
    they said not needed.
    but it is gone and we now have a 108 and a 110.
    so not quite a lie...just new bullets with new tips

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020