Hornady A Tip bullets ???

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by 284winner, Apr 27, 2019.

1. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Reading about some new bullets being released by Hornady soon. They will be available in .24, .26 and .30. New aluminum tip design similar to Amax or ELD-M but with an aluminum tip. My guess is looking at the BC numbers, it's Hornady's answer to Sierra and Berger's newest high BC offerings in the 6.5/ 150s and the .30/230s. They are offering that ATip in a 250 for the .30 caliber showing some crazy high BCs. Hornady's newest high BC offering not only promises highest ballistic coefficient, they promise the most consistent bullets on the planet in this new design. George Garner was shown shooting a 6 Creedmoor out to 1800 yards with the new 110 grain 6mm ATip and producing phenomenal groups. Groups you'd only see with 30/33 caliber rifles using 250-300 grain bullets. Gonna be very interesting.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  2. dfrosch

dfrosch Silver $$ Contributor

3. 284winner

4. AlaBusa

AlaBusa

I will stick with Berger and SMKs.

Lone Hunter and Mark W like this.
  5. dreever

dreever Gold $$ Contributor

High price MIGHT be worth it beyond 1000 yards. Normal ranges out to 5-600 or so don't think you'll see any vast improvements.

284winner likes this.
  6. 284winner

With many of the troubles some guys have had with the ELDs, I don't believe you'll see any of them jump the fence just because Hornady released another brainchild bullet. Berger, Sierra and Lapua have been tough for Hornady to compete with. I'll shoot Hornady any day and do it alot cheaper keeping more money in my pocket. On the other hand, I'm not losing matches from defective or weak jackets. I'm just scratching my head if a bullet don't make it to that 840 yard Groundhog target. I'll always shoot Hornady provided they keep there prices affordable. The ATips aren't affordable...IMO.

7. Savage243

Savage243

110 grain .243 bullet, cool. $75 for 100, not cool. Using not-new brass, my 105 A-Max load is $35/100 and does quite well on the 600 yard line if the nut behind the whole operation can do his part.

Bc'z and 284winner like this.
  8. davidjoe

davidjoe Skunkworks Gold $$ Contributor

The 30’s are priced attractively relative to the 6.5’s. I was an ELD exploder in my RSAUM who wrote about it last year. I also elaborated that absent the blowup issue, which only some people experience, possibly with tighter than average bores, they had the competition handled in accuracy. But I’m going to try the 250’s in an 8 twist .308. The 8 twist wasn’t selected for these bullets, but by happenstance it may do a good job with them.

9. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I'll just be blunt here!! They are to expensively rich for this recreational shooter.. I like Hornaday bullets, but not that much.

boltfluter, Mark W and Lone Hunter like this.
  10. davidjoe

Ball’s in Hornady’s court, as they haven’t been distributed yet. Unlike a Saum, in midstring, I don’t believe my .308 is capable of unwrapping a jacket. But I’m going to don some safety glasses and push these submarines hard enough in Lapua Palma brass with a plungerless bolt and 31 inch borerider barrel to give their ridiculous BC every chance in the world to prove its worth. Once I’m done flogging some of the strongest brass ever devised, with (hopefully smiles) and f-Open or smaller holds, and counting holes on target versus empty shells, I’ll back it down and switch from CCI’s indestructible white box primers to BR4’s and see how tight they group. All safely, of course.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  11. davidjoe

$$ but cheap for the BC.

The G1 and G7 BC of the 250 blows past all the .338 bullets, and exceeds the several lathe turned .375’s I’m looking at. In fact the 452 grain lathe turned bullets in the factory Barrett .416 are well lower, which I recall were an eye-watering 9 bucks or so a piece.

12. Acyr

Acyr Gold $$ Contributor

`
    What powders do you plan on trying?

13. Pigdog

Pigdog

$75 per hundred!!! we pay that for ELD M here in Australia. These new bullets are $129-$139 per hundred here you guys got it real good.

14. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

You got that right, the price was a total turn off for me.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  15. davidjoe

That’s a good question. I’ve never tried anything this heavy in a .308. For 230 hybrids I’ve used reloader 17. These are close to 10% heavier. I’ll probably try 17 but I’ll be prepared to go with a slower choice if the primer/case head suffers.

Consensus in TR is that the 200 works best despite heavier options. Those heavier options’ higher BC but slower speed tend to wash out any benefit while working over brass. But Hornady’s BC has “gapped” the other choices by such a wide margin I feel obligated to try them in a .308.

16. Acyr

Acyr Gold $$ Contributor

Yes I agree about the 200's. I am also curious about your results. Please keep us informed!
    Andy

davidjoe likes this.
  17. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

First melting tips that ran the price up. Now, aluminum tips with a huge price jump. Gouging at it's finest and still won't shoot with a Berger bullet. No Thanks!! :D:D:p

Paul

JLT, Danley and STOMP442 like this.
  18. davidjoe

So the big question I haven’t seen addressed anywhere yet, is what’s going on in the heart of the match bullet segment, the almighty 7mm?

I wonder if there something strategic going on here behind the scenes with their rollout, (timing courtesies between the makers) or if these other calibers are being first introduced to give the 7mm a gravitational slingshot effect when it does arrive.

boltfluter likes this.
  19. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0

I'm going this route. atip.jpg

Dave Marshall, JLT, dgeesaman and 5 others like this.
  20. davidjoe

That’s what the holdup must be. They found the guy that painted all the 50 cal tips in the Korean War but he is really slow now.

Acyr likes this.