Hornady 17 Hornet Brass primer pockets

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by remy3424, Mar 13, 2019.

1. remy3424

remy3424

I purchase some once fired factory loaded Hornady 17 Hornet brass. I see that there are 2 different head stamps, larger and small fonts on the cases heads. The large font head stamped brass primes well, but the cases with the smaller font head stamps are very difficult, almost impossible, to prime. I used the RCBS SR primer pocket uniformer tool, very tight to ream and then they are still very difficult to prime. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, how do you resolve the problem? They don't look to be crimped, I don't know if I need to bevel the primer pocket open, is there a tool that will fit in my RCBS case prep machine that will do this better than the head to debur the inside of case necks?

2. dstoenner

dstoenner Silver $$ Contributor

I haven’t seen what you are finding but i found about 10% of my cases have a primer pocket that is so deep that my extra deep sinclair primer pocket unifier will not even touch bottom

3. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Think you will find, if you do bevel the primer pocket slightly your issue will go away.

4. remy3424

remy3424

I tried a slight bevel with the inside case deburring attachment on my RCBS case prep station, I will try a little more.

5. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I had that issue with factory ammo trying to reload it.. I have posted about it a few times, but the consortium here assures me it is a non problem.. Some factory ammo has a crimped primer.. Good luck with getting rid of the crimp. Me? I tossed 200 cases. Hornaday was less than helpful.. I only buy brass now..