Horn. 88 ELD-M

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by sscoyote, Nov 25, 2018.

1. sscoyote

sscoyote

Anybody shot anything besides targets yet with them? If so how'd it do?

2. venatic

venatic

I shot 5 coyotes with them longest at 521 yards. Also shot 4 pigs last week and they seem to work fine. Actually on the coyotes 3of the 5 had small exit not much fur damage two had pretty good exits sat quarter size.
    This was from a 22Creedmoor 1/8 twist running 3360

AckleymanII, GotRDid, MTSLW and 2 others like this.
  3. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

venatic,

Great info, thanks for sharing.:D:D

Paul

GotRDid and sscoyote like this.
  4. sscoyote

sscoyote

Yes it is!! Thanks sir!!

5. MTSLW

MTSLW Silver $$ Contributor

Shot a red fox at just over 100yds. Broadside rib shot, about a silver dollar sized exit. 2900fps muzzle velocity. It jumped around a bit and then flopped.

sscoyote likes this.
  6. linebaugh

linebaugh

Shot a mature axis buck at 250 yards with a start velocity of about 3000 fps (can't remember exactly now) and the animal went about 30 yards max. No exit and lungs were highly damaged.

GotRDid and sscoyote like this.
  7. fredo

fredo

Wouldn't doubt if this 88gr turns out to kill well. However, the sheer mass & bearing surface precludes even super large capacity .224 Cal's from pushing them fast enough to maximize flat trajectory...

Simply stated, any given .224cal is gonna push a 75-80gr fast enough, to where they're the 'better' ballistic mousetrap. And, since several flavors of ~75s are already well proven to kill like hammers of Thor, I question the practical decision of going heavier, in the first place? Beyond the fun of experimenting, that is?

Case in point. Against my better judgement, have a friend who I've allowed to build a .220 Redline on a 1:8, and he wants to try these 88s (amongst others). Tried in earnest to talk him outta it, as I honestly feel the combo is gonna fall on it's face & blow up bullets before they fly fast enough to be worth it.
    ~3700fps from a 1:8 is rockin' over 333,000RPM, and I bet my Redline would push an 88 that fast, with relative ease. BUT, that is not gonna be jacket friendly! Bullet shredderator, if ya ask me!

So, if ya gotta slow down in order to keep a bullet in one piece, then...POOF...there goes the ballistic advantage that a monster case capacity is posta allow for! So, again, what's the point?

Reckon sometimes ya gotta let people find things out the hard way, so I wished him good luck! But ain't holdin' ma breath...

Naturally, smaller capacity .224s may not run into these 'extreme' stability/integrity issues, but they'll still very likely push a lighter bullet fast enough to make them a (ballistically) superior option, than a super heavy for cal. projo...

Runs some #s for yourselves, and you'll get the jist...

sscoyote, Bc'z and Mark W like this.
  8. sscoyote

sscoyote

Thks Fredo et al. Gives me something to thing about!

9. sscoyote

sscoyote

OK Fredo (et al), what is the best 22 coyote killin' bullet from point blank to as far out as you can shoot them? I assume Redline 75's? I have to look that piece over again. 30+ yrs. night shift can remember chit!

370bc likes this.
  10. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Hard to beat a 75 Amax for Killin stuff at loooong distances. Especially coyotes !!! Sorry Fredo but had to jump on that one. I love those 75s.

sscoyote likes this.
  11. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

The slightly larger brother, 80 grain A-Max, kills Whitetail size on down.

sscoyote likes this.
  12. 284winner

I have no doubt that even the 75 grain little brother is up to the task as well but never used one that light on deer.

timeout and sscoyote like this.
  13. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I have killed a half dozen coyotes beyond 500 yds. The 75 A-max bullet was my favorite for long distance shots. This bullet never failed to expand, even on a 512 yd red fox! About an 8 lb fox. Does not get much better than than, in my experience.:D:D

Paul

timeout, MrMajestic and sscoyote like this.
  14. sscoyote

sscoyote

What cartridge/cartridges have you used with them Paul?

15. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

I harvested an adult doe this past season with a .223 and 75 grain Amax. Approximately 100 yard standing broadside shot in the crease just behind the lower front shoulder. Good blood trail and didn't go far. Certainly not a long distance whitetail round but worked well up close.

MrMajestic and 284winner like this.
  16. 284winner

Gotta believe pushing the 75 Amax at 3600 fps, it would be a very effective whitetail bullet at pretty long ranges. Lets face it, there are better cartridges and bullets for the job but hitting lungs, i think that set up would be effective at most ranges. The amax kept at 2000 fps would literally explode inside once hit. Even Fredo's Redline is only a .224 set up and granted will push the bullets as fast as any .224 case can push them but there are many better setups for deer at all ranges.

timeout likes this.
  17. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

I can't push it anywhere near that fast. Ruger Ranch 16" barrel. Shoots pretty well and it's nice to carry. It's my deer drive carry rifle.

MrMajestic likes this.
  18. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

I hit a smallish buck with the 80 from my .223AI at 3050 fps on the point of the shoulder at 35 yards and angled back to the crease on the opposite side. It broke the shoulder and made it to the hide on the offside. He went 50 yards and was as dead as any other I killed. The guides gutted and removed the hide back at camp and no bullet was found but I must admit not much effort was given. No blood trail however the boiler room was a mess...

sscoyote, 284winner and timeout like this.
  19. 284winner

I shoot the 95 Berger in my 243 and same results. Bullet usually found in opposite side under hide only in several pieces.

sscoyote and MrMajestic like this.
  20. fredo

fredo

No worries , John...everyone's opinion factors into the collective, and we're all better off for referencing as many of em, as possible!

That said, had goofy stuff happen with 75Amaxs, (.22-243AI, 1:8, 3585) on coyotes, after the new AMP jacketed ones came out. Would have a nasty ugly mess from one, then a zip thru ribs spinner/runner one the next. No real rhyme or reason, until I realized the original Amaxs seemed more consistent in killing? Dunno about what all changed, just sharing my experience, albeit limited...

Before last year, loaded up 75VLDs with same exact charge of H1000, and they shot super small. And, coyotes friggin LOCK UP when hit with em...go figure?

From friends shooting 80s in their (same reamer) .22-243AI, the 80Amax did a better job of dropping coyote more consistently. I stuck to my guns about staying with a lighter/faster bullet, and wound up having to switch bullets, altogether...

Live & learn!

sscoyote and MrMajestic like this.