Horizontal stringing..

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by long40shot, Mar 20, 2017.

1. long40shot

long40shot Site $$ Contributor

So on Sunday i took my 22-250 out to test out a batch of loads. It's wearing a new barrel now, so i thought I'd start from scratch. I tried 50grn and 55grn v-max bullets. The powder was Varget. To my surprise the 55s did better than the 50s. Still, neither were great. On the vertical was good, but on the horizontal things really opened up. I'd getting two rounds touching, then things would shift and I'd have two touch a 1/2" away. Then some groups would just not touch. Everything is tight....scope and base screws, action screws. Now, I'm not saying it wasn't me, but if it's something to do with my load, I'd like to get it nailed down. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Matt

2. RGRobinett

RGRobinett

Wind; bedding; seating-depth??? I'd check in that order. RG

MrMajestic likes this.
  3. Greyfox

Greyfox Site $$ Contributor

Are you using wind flags?
    Rick

4. long40shot

I wouldn't expect that wind was an issue. I was in a low lying wooded area. The rifle is in a hs stock that has the bedding block in it. I was wondering about seating depth. I have them loaded longer than saami spec. Should i go back to saami spec and try or try longer?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  5. long40shot

No flags.

6. Greyfox

That's probably your reason. Without wind flags serious accuracy is just not possible. Even some stakes with surveyors tape is much better than nothing.
    Rick.

7. LHSmith

LHSmith Site $$ Contributor

Someone else on this forum said it best: Without flags -you're just plinking. A $2.95 roll of survey tape is the cheapest and best way to improve accuracy.

8. long40shot

Really? Please excuse my scepticism.

Matt

9. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Site $$ Contributor

It was hard for me starting out to accept that the wind could and does move a bullet as much as it does at 100 yards. But it does
    That said, seating depth does have a big impact on horizontal

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    LHSmith, 22BRGUY and long40shot like this.
  10. Greyfox

OK, you're excused. Now, are you wondering if you can use surveyor's taped or do you not see the need for wind flags?

Rick

11. long40shot

The need for wind flags. I'm not trying to take .005 off my group. Just go from 3/4" to 3/8".

12. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Site $$ Contributor

3/8" to 3/4" at 100yd takes a wind switch of just 3mph. You can't see or feel that without flags.

Mikey_P, LHSmith and JohnKielly like this.
  13. Greyfox

I do apologize for being a smart ass. Sometimes I just can't help myself. Seriously though, you clearly misunderstand the need for wind flags and why they are used. As Toby said, a switch downrange that you won't even see without flags can easily add 3/8-1/2". Spend a few $$ on some 1"x 1" and surveyor's tape. Tack the tape to the top and make them low enough to shoot over. Put out 3 or 4 for 100 yards. It will make a believer out of you.

Rick

LHSmith and JohnKielly like this.
  14. long40shot

I will give some tape an honest try. But, would a change in seating depth be worth a try?

15. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Site $$ Contributor

Read Tony Boyer's "Book of Rife Accuracy" and try his charge/seating depth test. Simple, quick, effective. Example from one of my own rifles below (3-shot groups, 100yd).

Also take a look at his competition targets if you want to see what wind does, even to the greatest BR shooter on the planet.

30BR charge and seating depth2 copy.jpg

MrMajestic and brians356 like this.
  16. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Site $$ Contributor

In answer to this. Some really good shots with a full blown bench rifle in 6ppc get the crap kicked out of them by the wind
    First year of competition on left second year and a lot of practice and paying attention to my flags on the right.
    No one is saying it's all the wind. Most likely you load and seating depth can be worked on. You really need a method to do this like Toby said Tony has a simple and effective method laid out in his book

Attached Files:

MrMajestic and Toby Bradshaw like this.
  17. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Site $$ Contributor

IMO, flags are very critical when doing any load work up. How else would you know if the changes hurt or help...or if the wind blew the shot out....or even in? If you're serious about getting the potential out of your gun, your load and yourself....flags are a prerequisite.

LHSmith and Terry Altom like this.
  18. brians356

brians356 Site $$ Contributor

Forgive me, but what does "I have them loosed" mean?

The HS stock still needs bedding, a skiff coat at least.

Re. "horizontal stringing" what are the average vertical and horizontal dimensions of your groups, center to center? Are they < .25" in vertical but > 1" wide?
    -

19. Terry Altom

Terry Altom Site $$ Contributor

This! If you know the wind increased or changed direction you can discount that wide horizontal shot from load development. Shooting different wind conditions is for you to practice and shouldn't count against the accuracy of the load.

Even with tape streamers you can see the wind has changed and wait a few seconds or a minute for a good time to shoot.

LHSmith and Dgd6mm like this.
  20. long40shot

Typo. It's corrected.