Homemade wind flags

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by South Prairie jim, May 14, 2018.

1. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

IMG_0220.JPG Gents
    I'm in need of a great idea for home made wind flags,
    Yes I could buy them however I would prefer to make them myself.
    I practice at 550 yards using a simple target board that folds up with an old cleaning rod and ribbon that actually works quite well. I would like to place a couple of others at mid range.
    I thought of perhaps old music stands extended with flags.
    Whatcha got?

2. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

3. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Silver $$ Contributor

wood dowel and pink survey tape,,cheap and works,,:confused:

Rushty and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  4. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

Thx
    What would you use for a base to hold the dowels?

5. ClassCat

ClassCat Unlimited Gold $$ Contributor

I started like that. Once you become "A STUDENT OF THE WIND" you will understand why you should just do it and get it over with.

http://www.brflags.com

6. madmixerman

madmixerman Gold $$ Contributor

Use a wooden dowel , drill a hole in each end. At one end put in a a 16 penny nail and cut of the head or a piece of welding rod. On the top end ,get a wire coat hanger ,cut it about a foot long or so. Put a 90 degree bend on one end & tie a piece of surveyors tape on the other. Make sure the 90 degree bend is above the dowel so it will swivel.

Rushty likes this.
  7. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Silver $$ Contributor

DIRT,,make a point push,I'm cheap

Rushty likes this.
  8. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Anything's better than nothing. A good flag is highly visible and sensitive. The best flag can only show what wind has already happened. The best ones are way, way closer to real time.

Most experienced shooters will tell you that the wind is THE most important aspect of shooting really small. IMO, that speaks volumes about the importance of using the best flags you can get your hands on.

But, even the most basic piece of surveyor tape on a dowel rod will tell when NOT to shoot.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  9. boltman13

boltman13 Gold $$ Contributor

Since you shoot at 550 yards, calculate your rough mid range height for your particular cartridge and place a wind flag at that height or as close as you can get. Have one fairly close to your target at about the height of your target. Have a third fairly close to your rifle at about the level of your rifle. All of your flags should be as close to identical as possable. The flags should tell you both the direction and intensity of the wind. Learning to read the wind from your flags is a skill that takes time and practice. As the previous poster said let your flags also tell you when not to shoot.

10. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

My intentions are to place a couple of wind flags at mid range let's say 200 and 400 yards to go along with the flag I already use at the distance I'm practicing 550 yards, as I mentioned perhaps a recycled music stand that folds up.
    I don't think the range master would appreciate me digging holes to place a pole and just stabbing it in the ground would most likely fall over within 5 minutes so those 2 options are out. I'm open to more suggestions however'
    I will refer to my Coach for wind adjustments although any tips are appreciated.
    I would like to see more ingenious ideas on homemade wind flags so keep them coming!
    SPJ

11. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Silver $$ Contributor

Old golf clubs can be had for free. Old steel shafted drivers are everywhere. Cut of the head at and angle to make the small diameter into a point. Will easily dig in the soil. Add Caution tape. If the wind isn't blasting this works quite well. After about 5 MPH it is essentially useless.

I just got my 3D printer. When I get this thing sorted out I am going to be posting a thread on how to make your own dozen or so pro level wind meters for next to nothing. I will have the parts and bill of materials of common parts you can buy on Ebay. I figure you can make a pro level wind meter for about $10-15 each and a few minutes of your time.

Urv and Rushty like this.
  12. foxguy

foxguy Silver $$ Contributor

What Size Wind flags are being used for 400 - 600 yards. Someone mentioned surveyor's tape, I would thing that would be hard to see 400-500 yards??.

I would think a 3/16" - 1/4" steel rod about 8" long pushed into the Ground may hold a wind flag up, but that depends on how large the Wind Flag is and how hard the wind is blowing.

13. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

I started with 1/2” threaded rod with a 3” nail duct taped to the top and pink surveyors tape pinned on the nail.. I forgot the pink tape once and used toilet paper, worked fine.
    Next I found some propellas in the gardening section on short fibreglass sticks with plastic fittings, bought core flute for the rear, melted and glued the plastic fittings to fit over the nail on threaded rod, pink ribbon on the back.. worked fine.. then I bought ready made flags. BRT..

Attached Files:

14. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

Perfect solution my friend'
    Gents here's a man with ingenuity!
    Much Respect
    Jim

Rushty likes this.
  15. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Silver $$ Contributor

Oh those are really nice. Very well done.

I was, looking at props used for large rubber powered models, but I like those props a lot.

Rushty likes this.
  16. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

South Prairie jim likes this.
  17. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

IMG_0247.JPG Thanks to my wife 'who never seems through anything away I have an old music stand with a paint can key and a pink ribbon,
    I figure what the hell might work just fine.
    J

Rushty likes this.
  18. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I offer a premium flag that I feel is the best flag going, but have entertained the idea of a "kit" that has all the pieces and will be a very decent flag for the budget minded segment of the market for about $15 each. Been planning on them for a while and already have everything in stock to build several kits.

If there's any interest, I'll try to post some pics in a day or so. I have tested them and they really aren't bad at all but nothing like my premium flags.

It'll come with all the pieces and will need minor assembly. They will benefit from fine tuning and balancing but it'd be a budget item that most anyone can do themselves.

I'll probably offer them in sets of 4 to help justify the shipping. It will cost as much to ship 1 as 4, I think.

To clarify, these would be coroplast and garden daisy type flags. In no way similar to the flags I've offered for about 10 years now, but a basic wind flag in a kit.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    snert, South Prairie jim and foxguy like this.
  19. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

Sounds good
    Do you have a web site one could check out all your models?
    J

20. gunsandgunsmithing

Site is pretty dated but..
    http://www.ezellcustomrifles.com/