home made bullet comparitor

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by JimSC, Jan 20, 2019.

1. JimSC

JimSC

I saw the thread on bullet comparitors yesterday and decided to see if I could make my own and improve on the Hornady comparitor by making it into a bench tool. Here is waht I came up with in about an hour this morning. It works fine and certainly is faster than using the tool with the calipers.

I think I might be at or approaching the point in my shooting where getting down into the weeds a bit farther might be worthwhile and might start sorting bullets. Anyway it was a fun little Sunday morning project. The base is some scrap hard maple and the ends were cut from a old teflon cutting board. Total cost outlay was zero since all the wood, screws, etc were left over from old projects and the dial indicator and comparitor base and inserts were already on the bench.

bullet comparitor.jpg

2. David Christian

David Christian Gold $$ Contributor

Looking good. I might cut away the 90 degree angles on the cutting board material so that your hands have more room around the bullet.

3. savagedasher

savagedasher

All that is needed is a drill and a file

4. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Looks good,..simple design...all a person needs .

SPJ likes this.
  5. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Very nice. Simple, yet it should work just fine. Good work. Might just have to follow your idea!

6. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

I like it, nice job.

Darrin

7. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

What are you measuring? OAL?

8. chromatica

chromatica

Noice! I like to customize my setup and take inspiration from others who do the same. Good job!

9. JimSC

JimSC

bullet base to ogive

10. Mikemci

Mikemci

He's measuring ogive to bullet base.

11. BULLET 05

BULLET 05

Great idea!!! Well done.

12. AlNyhus

AlNyhus

Jim, try this:
    1. Select the two bullets whose base-to-ogive vary the most.
    2. Size two cases, leave the primers out.
    3. Seat a bullet in each case.
    4. Using a dial caliper and your comparator, measure case head-to-ogive on both and compare.

Looking forward to your results. -Al

13. JMayo

JMayo

That's interesting. But doesn't accomplish anything for me.
    I'd like another hornady. #23 on the other side to measure bearing service ....

14. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

Sinclair/Brownells makes a nice version of this concept. Same thing, just a dial indicator on a small granite plate with a cylindrical gauge-thingy to hold the bullet. It's a very good way to measure base to ogive.

JimSC likes this.
  15. JimSC

JimSC

thanks, I am looking forward to doing some casual experimentation with this also. At the moment though I am not happy with the functioning of the unit. I should have tested it more before posting. As the current design goes, don't bother with one. I cannot get repeatable results.

The Hornady base works fine with calipers as it was designed to do, however it is just awkward and slow to use because of juggling the bullet in one hand and operating the calipers with the other. The upside is the wide blade of the caliper "seats" the ogive of the bullet into the datum hole more evenly and firmly. Results taking readings with it are very repeatable.

Using the dial indicator the bullet tends to tilt slightly in the datum hole and of course readings can vary several thousandths. I discovered this after comparing the same 10 bullets using the calipers handheld and spinning the bullet to get a initial set of readings then measuring on the dial indicator setup and with and found that wiggling by the bullet in the dial indicator setup I could make it agree with the readings taken with calipers or be .003 or more off. Not very repeatable results I am afraid

I do have a couple of ideas on how to remedy that issue. I going to try making custom datums out of the cutting board plastic using a hot bullet and a arbor press or spinning the bullet in a drill press. Of course a separate one would be needed for each caliber and style bullet so the bullet that I use but they will be held firmly in place with no wiggle room. I also want to get a spare calipers and attaching them to some sort of base to make them more user friendly.

or I might just buy a set of the Sinclair inserts and use my own dial indicator and stand, thanks Damon. That looks like the best setup I have seen so far in one of these

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  16. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I've made a few for folks that use redding die bushings and a digital dial indicator. They do work well and very easily. I don't think I have any pics though. I'll have to look.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    damoncali likes this.
  17. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

that's my kinda style, same results and cheaper,

18. olddav

olddav

To the OP, exactly what I was thinking approximately two days ago. Good work and now I don't have to do any design work. I'll just copy your work.

19. JimSC

JimSC

if you do get these Sinclair inserts to use as datums https://www.sinclairintl.com/reload.../sinclair-bullet-sorting-stand-prod38769.aspx and then just use a regular dial indicator stand

the Hornady's little datums does not support the sides and lets the bullets wobble too much without using the calipers. Also you might want to get a flat tip for your dial indicator like this one https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/35916121

Before I spend much more time or money I want to test it to see if I can see any on target benefits. I used my calipers with the Hornady tool tool to sort out 25 from a box and I want to check to see if they group and chrono better than unsorted.

20. olddav

olddav

A simple solution is to just stand it up on end. Not perfect but close enough for starters!