High ground

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by misfire, May 21, 2020.

1. misfire

misfire Gold $$ Contributor

Spooked this guy while working ground.
    He climbed up that tree and stared me right in the eye on the next pass like he had a attitude. Guess I'll have to come back in a couple weeks and give him an adjustment ( pups aren't out yet here).

Jim 20200521_095838.jpg

Skunce, 1K6BRA, Leo Smith and 7 others like this.
  2. PRR1957

PRR1957

Tree Chucks are dangerous as they will leap down on you as you walk by them and chew off your ears or nose. The recommended rifle caliber needs to be 338 or larger because a wounded tree chuck is at least ten times more dangerous then a wounded leopard.

Hntndad, Leo Smith, misfire and 4 others like this.
  3. AWS

AWS

My buddies grain auger bound up and he reached up in it to free the auger and it was and chuck jammed in the auger still alive. It damn near bit off his finger, ungrateful little sh-t. It pretty expensive little sh-t too.

4. ARW

ARW Silver $$ Contributor

In my early safari days, when I was 6 or 7 years old, I hunted them with my old trusty BB gun and even more trusty groundhog killing dog. We would tree an occasional groundhog and that's when the BB gun would come into play. They did not climb very high and I would aim at their feet. After being stung a few times, by shots that I considered at the time to be placed with surgical precision, they would bail out of the tree to my waiting dog. The fight was on when it hit the ground and it was a sight to see.

5. Dead Eye

Dead Eye Silver $$ Contributor

I remember the first time I saw one in a tree. I was hunting in an orchard with my trusty Marlin 39 M that my uncle gave me for my birthday. I was creeping along focused on the area in front of me as far out as I could see so I could obtain target acquisition and put the sneak on it. I got that feeling you get when something is about to eat you, looked up and there it was perched in the apple tree ready to pounce. A quick shot with the previously mentioned trusty 39M saved me from certain death. Looking back to my younger days I am lucky I made it this far.

6. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Gold $$ Contributor

Once I found my Coon Hound that high in a tree.

MrMajestic and 338 dude like this.
  7. Coonman300

Coonman300 Gold $$ Contributor

Didn’t realize they could climb a tree. Not a common animal to see where I live. I’ve actually seen a couple on the side of the road the last 2-3 years. Usually in town.

338 dude likes this.
  8. bluealtered

bluealtered Silver $$ Contributor

Hounds are very good climbers, so i found out.

338 dude likes this.
  9. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

That hog is a good climber and on smaller limbs.

Sure have seen them on top of fence posts and other shorter trees but that high and on small branches like a squirrel? Call it Rocky.

misfire and 338 dude like this.
  10. misfire

misfire Gold $$ Contributor

First time I've ever seen one that high also

11. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

Some of the best safaris of my life were affordable, close to home and with my best friend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    ARW likes this.
  12. ARW

ARW Silver $$ Contributor

Yes indeed, I sure would love to go back and do it all over again.

mike a likes this.
  13. redrockranger

redrockranger

It's been 60 yrs since i seen a hog in a treee.

14. Jalen

Jalen Silver $$ Contributor

Sounds like a story CNN would run with

Mark W likes this.
  15. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

Railroad tracks seem to harbor a bunch of them. Always figured it was easier diggin'. Shooting them out of a tree is a rare treat and one you never forget.

misfire likes this.
  16. 1K6BRA

1K6BRA Silver $$ Contributor

I shot one 30+ years ago out of a tree while hunting and have seen a few others just while walking around without a gun climb up trees. I have shot numerous ones that climb up an old wooden fence post to get a better view of things problem is then I’ve got a better view of them. To me that is the most fun shot out chuck hunting!

misfire likes this.
  17. billshehane

billshehane Gold $$ Contributor

My son and I had one run up a big white pine and he started squeerling us. Every time we would move around to get a shot he'd move around the other way. Had my son move one way and I stood still-- bad move on the whistle pig. Here he came on my side and impossible to see in a 16X Leupold so I just pointed the barrel and got the job done. Little did we know how strong those claws are-- he left 4 slick spots on the trunk of the tree the size of your fist where he was holding on ( wish we'd had a camera ) That was 40 years ago and never seen one in a tree since.

18. troupe

troupe

That is a great sight to see for me. I grew up groundhog hunting, and miss it deeply to this day. I shot one off of a fence post years ago, what a mess on the whistle pig. I also miss the hills.