High expectations dashed

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by magic mike, Mar 19, 2019.

1. varget204

varget204

Did you check action screw poundage ? If it's a new rifle,Send it back to Savage,Customer Service should take care of you.

2. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

If the gun is new send it back. I would at very least want a good barrel so I could take it off when I got it back after some test shots so I could sell it to recoup some of my money and in the meantime order your new barrel. I would talk to Northland Shooters Supply as their price's on aftermarket barrels are very reasonable.

3. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

Why would anybody return a rifle that shoots in the 2s at 50 yards? There's nothing wrong with the barrel (for a factory rifle). The unacceptable accuracy at 100 yards is a mechanical issue in the rifle or optic, a conditions issue, an operator issue, or some combination of them.

KRP, Dgd6mm, Down South and 3 others like this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

and why send it back to a company that let it go because it met their standards to start with? savage wont do nothing but keep it for a while

JBT, Dgd6mm and Someoldguy like this.
  5. beemanjohn

beemanjohn

I am sure glad all you guys have a Savage rifle that shoots so good, because the one (and only one) I have shot like carp from the factory. I started out as a 16 stainless 223 varmint rifle. I worked on loads all summer and never could get the pos to shoot. I spent way too much time and money on it trying to get it to shoot. After I broke down and bought a quality pre-fit barrel for it, it shoots crazy good. My advice is sell the barrel it came with and buy a new one rather than waste a whole lot of $$$ and time on a barrel that may never shoot. (or you can do like I did and waste a whole season you are never going to get back!)

6. Pawnee Bill

Pawnee Bill

"High Expectations Dashed"

Hell, that happens to me every time I go shooting!!

7. Whit holman

Whit holman

Ever since I switched to one shot groups my targets look a lot better now

8. Bojo

Bojo

Maye I missed it somewhere in this thread, however what twist is this barrel?
    If memory serves me right tthat gun come in 2 different twist rates 1:12 & 1:8.
    I was not impressed buythe 105 eldm in a 1:9.25 twist either at 100 or better

9. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Savage Benchrest model chambered in 6 br is listed at 1-8 twist

10. magic mike

magic mike Gold $$ Contributor

And the congregation said...Amen

After my conversation with the lady in customer service regarding the action screws barely engaging the action and the scope rail mounting screw holes being unusable until I ran a tap through them and her response of "OK", sending the rifle back is not going to happen.

Taking into account all of the suggestions and comments posted on this thread I am willing to work with this barrel for a bit longer. If the thing will shoot .2's at 50 it should shoot half MOA at 100 unless something mystical is happening. Like I posted earlier, I am not sure that if having to shoot through a 12" tube about 10' long at the 100 yd range I went to has some affect on the bullets flight path or not. I have never had to do this before. I would sure like to hear if anyone one else has any experiences with that sort of a situation.

If the barrel is the problem I can replace it with an aftermarket pre-fit and still be in this gun for what I would have in a new action or a used gun that I would most likely have to re-barrel anyway. I don't shoot competition so having the best of everything not my goal. Just want to have some fun before I leave the range for good.

Mike

Dgd6mm likes this.
  11. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

That seems to be a rather long, small ID tube youre shooting through. Perhaps it is causing a mirage issue? Have you shot the good 50yd and bad 100yd groups during the same shooting session?

12. magic mike

No Charlie, I didn't. The 50 yd groups were shot on an indoor range. There was some slight mirage if I turned up the magnification. 70-72, sunshine, no wind.

13. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

I don't have personal experience but have read that guys shooting rimfire indoors experience a high degree of "mirage" after just a couple of shots. So I'm wondering is a similar phenomena might be happening in that tube.

14. Bojo

Bojo

I guess I'm a little slow but ......
    How does one of those tubes keep a shooter from shooting over the berm other than the inside top roof of said tube ?
    Sounds like a bad idea that spread to me.

15. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Sounds like you voided your warranty by messing with it.

Ggmac likes this.
  16. magic mike

The tube is buried in an eight foot high dirt berm right in front of the benches. The only way you can screw up is to shoot straight up or behind you. You can't see anywhere down range other than what you can see through the tube. I don't like it but it's what I got around here unless I drive 2 hours or join a club for an outrages amount of money and still have to pay monthly dues.

17. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Bro
    You gotta lot of stuff is going on

Mark W likes this.
  18. Bojo

Bojo

Me thinks the Forum Boss would give me the ban hammer if I used words that are rattling around inside my nugget right now.
    That has to be really loud ,really awkward and really shitty to watch the wind thru.

19. RetiredArmy

RetiredArmy Silver $$ Contributor

Just my 2 cents here. I know the golden numbers for 6mm br are 30gr varget behind a 105 what ever. MY 6br doesn't like it, it shoots real nice .2-.3 in groups at 27.8 gr varget with 105 gr hornaday. I'm a little slow (2610fps) but it just shoots. All that said to say, start at the low end in the book and work up. It will shoot. Yes mine is a savage.
    Thanks Bill

Dgd6mm, Bojo, Dusty Stevens and 2 others like this.