High expectations dashed

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by magic mike, Mar 19, 2019.

1. DHuffman

DHuffman Gold $$ Contributor

That's hardly a load work up in my opinion. 2 different bullets with 2 different charge weights and 2 different seating depths.

Pick one bullet and one powder and seat it .010 in and cover 1.5 - 2 grains of powder in .2 increments and I bet you'll find a good load. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but you didn't put in the work and give the rifle a sporting chance before you started bashing it.

Bc'z, Jdne5b, Dgd6mm and 4 others like this.
  2. DHuffman

DHuffman Gold $$ Contributor

Mine shot Varget @ 29.5 with a BR 4 and a 105 HVLD with that in mind I'd start at 29.2 and I got bolt lift at 30.3

SPJ likes this.
  3. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

^^^Solid advice from DHuffman
    Just gotta shoot a ladder and find out
    J

Bc'z and Dgd6mm like this.
  4. NWnewguy

NWnewguy

I have a bunch of Savages that don't get much use anymore, but I still feel a bit of fondness for, so I thought I would share my experience. I bought one of the LRPV 6br's with the HS Prec. stock and accu-trigger. It's a dual port and fit and finish is standard factory rifle. I tested a few different Hornady V-max bullets, as coyote, prairie dog and ground squirrel were what I was planning on shooting once I had worked up a load on paper. With the twist rate of this barrel which if I recall is 1-10, as long as I shot 87gr or less, it was consistent at just below a 1/2" with no real effort. With a little more effort on the reloading side (this was before I had an auto-trickler) and more concentration at the bench it would do almost consistent .3" groups. I felt like I had gotten pretty fortunate as it shot well and when I cleaned it, the barrel felt very smooth. Then I got a bore scope. When I first took a look down the barrel with a scope, I thought they must have rifled it with an impact drill. It looked rough all over. Lots of chatter, but it was fairly consistently spaced. I would have never guessed if I had seen that before I shot the first shot that it would be a sub 1/2 MOA barrel. I wouldn't give up on yours yet. Break it in and let the speeds come up. Use a little JBs bore paste and smooth it out a tad.

One more story about a rifle that wouldn't shoot. I was friends with a fine fellow named Russ Haydon who built some fairly decent benchrest rifles. One weekend he finished and delivered a nice Bat action, Kreiger barreled 222 rifle to a fellow and we went to the range in Tacoma to give it a test run. The gentleman that had paid his hard earned cash took the first test drive and after three 5 shots groups and three cleanings, the rifle was grouping 1&1/2"-2"at a 100 yards. People don't generally expect to pay $3500 to get a rifle that groups like a Walmart special Henry lever gun. About this time Russ started sweating in the balmy 52 degree Pac North West weather and suggested that I give it a try. I sat down and fired an effortless first group (for me) in the mid 2's. Russ finally took a breath and realized what the problem was and then he ran off another group that was in the mid 2's. Take what you will out of that story, but I have found that a lot of the time, if I'm not shooting well it's because I can't get my mind out of the way.

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

and I have seen both of those bullets shoot so bad you'd think the scope was loose.

B_Thomas, Terry, Dgd6mm and 2 others like this.
  6. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

Shoot the dang thing at 100 with some decent loads , worked up for YOUR rifle . DONT WORRY WHAT THE BARREL LOOKS LIKE !
    Almost every post here on savage barrels is exactly what you see . Break it in , work up loads , use flags and a good rest . If you insist on judging a new rifle by shooting a few untested groups and looking up its barrel , give up now . It takes time and some / ok a lot of EFFORT on your part to get a new rifle shooting bug holes .
    Good luck

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Bc'z, gambleone, Dgd6mm and 5 others like this.
  7. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

I fear the battle may already be lost. The psychological Gremlin has embedded itself and is as hard to overcome as a bad flinch. Bore scopes may have been the ruination of many good barrels.

A deep breath and a start over may be needed.

Bc'z, dc.fireman, jackson1 and 4 others like this.
  8. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

I'm confused, your very first post said yesterday , indoor at 50 , now you said you shot this at 100 and out to 900 with less than stellar groups ? WHAT GIVES ? You either have one heck of a range , both indoor 50 yds and outdoor 100 all the way to 900 . Dang your too fast , slow down , take a breath and stop using that time warp machine . It'll shoot .
    I'll tell you what , send me just the barrel and I'll prove it . I put money were my mouth is , always ! Just be prepared to eat crow and pay up .

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Bc'z, MrMajestic, SPJ and 2 others like this.
  9. Whit holman

Whit holman

Be sure and check front base screw it may be tight but not holding the base tight
    I have had to shorten the front screw on all of mine. Take front screw out if the threads of the berral are bent over you found the problem

Bc'z and Evan like this.
  10. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Plenty of good advice posted. I definitely wouldn't change barrels on a four load test. I'd jam them starting out, then work my way back. Jumping as a starting off point can make load development a wasteful guessing game.

DHuffman and la-shooter like this.
  11. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Bob Petillo

I am not a 6BR guy but I shoot with several and all of them jam their bullets. It's how 6BR likes to shoot from what I'm told. Could just be a Berger thing too. But worth a try.

DHuffman likes this.
  12. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

I was thinking the same thing

13. ratbuster

ratbuster

Dusty knows of what he speaks. Before you do anything else buy a box of either Berger 108, Sierra 107 or Berger 105 Hybrid. With methodical load development using one of those bullets it should be a shooter.

Bc'z and Dgd6mm like this.
  14. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

If all else fails, I'll give you $20.bucks plus shipping for your barrel.

Ggmac and Bc'z like this.
  15. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

If I ever took a borescope to my Fal, I'd probably fall out, but it still shoots good.

Bc'z and MrMajestic like this.
  16. Drolds72

Drolds72 Gold $$ Contributor

I am bored at work and want to do an experiment. PM me your mailing address, and I will mail you 16 berger 105 hybrids. you shoot em at 29.4 thru 30 grains of varget in 4 shot groups, either with a small jump or touching, and show us the results in that barrel. (offer good for OP only!)

Bc'z, TZaun and Whit holman like this.
  17. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

Never look at a Savage barrel with a borescope. It's always a mistake. I've had more Savage rifles and barrels than I can recall and all of them shot well, some better than others, but all shot well. Listen to the advice on this thread. It's possible that something is bad wrong, but that's not usually the case.

Rick

18. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

I disagree; the 105 ELDM are perfectly fine. If he was trying to eliminate a troublesome flier in a 5 shot string, then sure, buy the more expensive bullets to try. I've never had trouble getting hornady stuff to shoot sub half MOA consistently in every rifle I've got. But here again, maybe his barrel is quirky and doesn't like them. Maybe it's going to like Sierras alot. Hard to know without having some to try.

I agree with above that you should at least load touching the lands to start, not jumping, and run a ladder up to find max. Also, your rifle may not like varget, or at least your lot of varget. Do you have some RL-15 to try?

My RPR, which is a consistent 0.5 or better gun, didn't start really shooting for me until maybe 100 rnds or so in. Just another data point.

19. steve123

steve123

The reason I plan on a custom barrel and/or mods when I buy any less expensive factory rifle, it's a lottery.

I had a Savage once - for two days, and was very happy to get rid of it for a loss.

20. Whit holman

Whit holman

Mine likes 29.4 Varget 105 hybrids
    This is not hot in mine but work your way up

Drolds72 and DHuffman like this.