High-Dollar Purchase, No History...Opinions?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by GSPV, Sep 13, 2017.

1. GSPV

GSPV

Thanks, KnotWild. That is awesome info!

2. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

Ask the seller if he will accept paypal. If he will, then you are 100% protected. If he won't, that could mean he was a scammer. But it could just mean he doesn't do paypal. --Jerry

3. alintx

alintx

Pay pal won't help you if they hear anything about gun stuff. Bunch of @$$holes, but sometimes necessary. Most of my dealings are freind and family payments that aren't backed up anyway, but I'm wary unless the person is well known in here! Most are good as gold, and never had a minutes problem, but there will be a day......

4. C.E.Smith043

C.E.Smith043 Gold $$ Contributor

Very well said

5. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

Paypal stood behind me on a $10,000 transaction. They took $9500 loss and smiled.

No, friends and family has no protection. You have to pay the 3%. Use FF only for trusted transactions, as the name implies. --Jerry

6. msinc

msinc

It's otherwise known as an "escrow" deal and any hometown lawyer can also do it. What I do is call the guy and ask "if he is willing to do this sale thru an escrow" if he refuses to send a valid phone number and/or refuses to do the escrow then I don't need what he is selling, period end of story. If the seller volunteers his number and doesn't balk at the escrow then I do it and have not used an escrow service yet. Have not had any bad deals so far and I buy a lot of stuff.
    As to paypal.....use them if you like/trust them, but everyone should know that they are run/owned by a bunch of communist, far left, tree hugging democrat, millennial snow flakes that believe illegals and dead people should always vote.
    One other tip I have learned...if the seller don't know the difference between "sell" and "sale", as in "I need to get this saled so it is now "for sell". He's an idiot. Might not be a left wing communist democrat, but a definite registered, thoroughbred idiot...walk away! This person is too stupid to even ship the item properly.
    All that said, I am not afraid to deal with anybody...just remember two things; you are the buyer, so you are in the drivers seat...and understand that no one else is going to protect you in a deal, that's your job!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    snert and outasite`08 like this.
  7. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

I don't use PayPal and avoid it. You can usually smell a scam by his item description. I have used Tradiator and it was smooth and easy. I bought an un-fired .222 from a guy in Texas that I found on a forum I don't use. He had no trade info and we were both very comfortable with the transaction.

8. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie

That Tradiator sounds like a great resource.

9. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

Not trying to make light of this, but a 1K deal not that big today. I know way more people who've been duped by gunsmiths, sending parts, cash, etc...
    Matter of fact, I don't personally know anyone who's been scammed by a sale, hear about it though.
    Ask for a pic of last months utility bill, his drivers lic, etc...

10. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Sells Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, Leicas, Vortex and other optics on the web. :cool::D

upload_2017-9-14_10-11-16.jpeg

TIMO, msinc and Comrade Terry like this.
  11. drover

drover

Just another thought, when dealing with someone I don't know, or has no record of trades/sales, I ask for their address and look it up on Google Earth. There has been more than one time the address was an empty lot or the back row of a junky trailer park. If it doesn't feel good - walk away from the deal.

drover

snert likes this.
  12. Greg Taylor

Greg Taylor Site $$ Sponsor

I would be more than happy to broker the trade for you if you need such service...no fee

GSPV and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  13. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

No offense meant Milo, but $100 is money in my mind, $1000 is tuition. Maybe I am stuck in the 90's for real, but $1000 is big money to this boy.

You don't know me, but i once tried to buy a carbine stock on another site. Sent money, no response. Took me four months but I tracked the dirtbag down and found out in the process he had a sketchy burglary at his "business" (his closet at home, FFL) and had been implicated in several insurance scams. When i rattled the cage some more and it appeared to him that the local PD was re-opening a case (thanks Local Ohio PD friends!) and looking at visiting him regularly, suddenly my $70 stock showed up.

ya, for $70.

He ticked me off.

I was getting ready to drive to Ohio from NY and get my $70 one way or another. In my mind, i had $70 of entertainment coming to me, at his expense.

msinc, hogpatrol and wholman like this.
  14. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Oh, and like Drover, his address was an empty lot...but I found him anyhow...dummy used his real name and lo and behold, local county news had his burglary case in the paper about 9 months previous. Gotcha! :mad: He was about a mile away...lazy turd.

msinc likes this.
  15. GSPV

GSPV

Wow! Thank you, Greg. That's above and beyond.

At last word, the seller hand not responded to my newbie bud. If it goes down, I'll introduce him to you.

Greg J

16. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Hi Greg!
    Glad to see you're back in shooting mode. You coming to the UBR Nationals this weekend?

17. GSPV

GSPV

Hi Mike,

I'm really helping my college buddy that is a chemist up in NY. He's on here now "Paul Dodson" is his handle. I don't have time to do anything through, at least, March. I'm going like a one-armed paper hanger in a wind storm.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  18. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

I'm fully onboard with what you did, and for 1K would most likely go to the same lengths, and did say was not making light of the situation. If it does not feel right, don't do it. I was one of the first 400 or so on Gun Broker, Auction Arms, my first buys were AR 15's at 1100.00 a pop, this was in 2000, way scarier then, send MO or cahiers check when a personal check may have left a paper trail.
    Sometimes you just have to trust someone w/o feedback, they need a start. This forum has tried to implement some protectionist measures, where a simple post count limit would verify if a person has an interest to be here in the first place.
    PS, damn glad you got the retribution and I wont hose you, lol

hogpatrol likes this.
  19. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Ask for the seller's bank account number and tell him you'll wire him the money. At least that's the way it works with my long lost relatives in Africa. I'm waiting for a transfer to come through any day now.
    [​IMG]

joshb, JLT, snert and 1 other person like this.
  20. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

Be straight forward, explain the situation to the seller and the reason for your hesitation. Ask him if he's be amiable to shipping the product first with payment being made upon receipt.