High-Dollar Purchase, No History...Opinions?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by GSPV, Sep 13, 2017.

1. GSPV

GSPV

Guys,

Asking for a friend that is new here.

He found an item that he is pretty interested in and is basically $1,000.

The rub is that the seller has very few posts and no trading history.

I'd like to hear your opinions about how to go about this purchase with confidence...or if there isn't really a way. :(.

Gennaro64 likes this.
  2. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Does the seller have a Full Forum Profile? Get a phone number and physical mailing address. Google it and check it out. Our Forum Boss has offered a great deal of information regarding your question. Read it.

WyleWD likes this.
  3. spife7980

spife7980

If youre not confident in the seller, pass. Its easier to find the item for $1,050 elsewhere than to make up the 1,000 that he gets scammed out of.

WyleWD, mac86951, snert and 2 others like this.
  4. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow

Words of wisdom there already.
    Is a face o face possible or does distance kill that?

5. GSPV

GSPV

I've read the pinned post in the marketplace. As I read it, it comes down to F2F, which in this case doesn't work, or establishing confidence.

With a seller that doesn't have a history, it seems that you just can't go there on a high-dollar item.

6. GSPV

GSPV

What constitutes a "Full Forum Profile"? If nothing else, I need to make sure that I have one ;)

7. GSPV

GSPV

Well, there is a profile, including a city.

8. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

In the past I have done a deal or 2 with newer members that didn't have a lot of history. First, as said before, get a physical mailing address and make sure it is legit. Then, what I have done is send 1/2 the money and the second half once I received the item. If there is a package of more than one item, send 1/2 the money, get half the package, send second half of money get remainder of package. If the seller is legit they usually don't have a problem with it as they want to establish their credibility also.
    Good luck.

hogpatrol likes this.
  9. GSPV

GSPV

Thanks. That's helpful.

10. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

Set the exchange with a second party Like a gun shop Most gun dealer do that with a 3 day agreement . Larry

Sniper338, joshb and NorCalMikie like this.
  11. geraldgee

geraldgee Silver $$ Contributor

If the seller is new and wants to establish some credentials, maybe he can be persuaded to ship the item and the buyer remit payment after receiving it - if the buyer is established and has stellar credentials himself. I am not sending an un-credentialed seller $100 let alone $1000.

tmwinds and 300_whisper like this.
  12. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Another thing to consider is if he has been a long time member or did he recently sign on. A lot of people read a lot here but doesn't join in the conversation.

6MMsteve likes this.
  13. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

"NEVER ship valuable items before receiving payment".

WyleWD, Delfuego, Milo 2.0 and 2 others like this.
  14. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

If the buyer has an established history he should request to have the item shipped 1st for quality inspection, function what ever. Then send the funds or the item back.......Either way it went i would follow it up with some A++++ feedback to get them out of the gate....;)

Regards
    Rick

15. GSPV

GSPV

Tbanks guys. In this specific case, I think this is a no-go.

16. Keith Glasscock

Keith Glasscock True believer - Straight 284 Gold $$ Contributor

There is no good way to avoid getting scammed by a dedicated scammer - except refusing to deal with them. Likewise, the vast majority of the shooters here are good people that are simply trading items in an honest fashion.

Do you know a solid, reputable member here that can vouch for the seller or act as an intermediary? That might help establish some confidence. Otherwise, FTF is the best way to go.

17. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I prefer to buy things from guys who have bought things....lots of things. Proves to me that they get stuff where they sell stuff. My question would be "Why come here and sell $1000 product"? Just cause you have it and somehow got it without knowing anyone else who likes this kind of stuff and could buy it FTF? Really? :rolleyes:

yes, I know people inherit things, and want to dump it, but more often they KNOW someone, and hang around with people like us, so they have cred, so to speak, and a PLACE other than here to sell it. But if they just pop up here with that special something, with no history, no one who can vouch, well....we are too niche market for that kind of stuff. On the other hand, if they are here a while, buy a bit, contribute, meet others at matches or hunt with them, have coffee with them, it makes all the difference.

I agree, spend $1050 for the same thing elsewhere when you can KNOW you are not sending it to a fake address with a fake name and a real thief at that end.

Urv likes this.
  18. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I agree with having him take it to an FFL close to him. It may cost an extra $100 but it's good insurance. Have him take it to the FFL at a certain time and call the FFL while he's there. If it's OK have the FFL hold it until your check arrives at the FFL. Try to find a member close to him. We have members all over the country!

mr45man and savagedasher like this.
  19. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Use Tradiator.com. Simple, cheap, and you can't lose. The seller holds the item until Tradiator notifies them they have the money, item is shipped when Tradiator notifies the seller they have the money. and the money is not released by Tradiator to the seller until you indicate the item is as described and you are satisfied. If you are not satisfied, you don't get your money back until the seller notifies Tradiator that the item was returned unharmed.

All for less than sales tax.

joshb and GSPV like this.
  20. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

And if you call you can usually tell alot by talking to someone. Its always a risk though.