Here you go Capt Dan

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by KMart, Mar 12, 2019.

1. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Caldwell County wants to get rid of feral hogs and they're paying those who help
    The Caldwell County Feral Hog Task Force is offering a 'bounty' for the animals. From now through August, anyone who brings in a feral hog tail will get $5.

Author: Rebecca Flores
    Published: 7:49 AM CDT March 11, 2019
    Updated: 7:51 AM CDT March 11, 2019
    CALDWELL, Texas — Another Central Texas town is trying to get rid of an animal that's causing a lot of problems — and they're willing to pay you to help out.

The Caldwell County Feral Hog Task Force is offering a "bounty" for the animals. From now through August, anyone who brings in a feral hog tail will get $5.

Gather up your tails and head to Caldwell. Not far from you.

2. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

yea, time to break out pig killer and head down the road,,if it was just that easy. Can't blast them in city limits, and people with property, even though they HATE them, want you
    to pay for a lease. Only option, wack them here, take tails there, and swear you got them in Caldwell Co.

3. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

Kinda like people that want a groundhog removed from their property and want me to trap it not shoot it...ahhhh "NO"...

4. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Once the boomers are finished hunting, the chickens er pigs will come home to roost.

5. pirate ammo

Neighbors complain about the pigs rooting up their yard, then they complain because I wake them when I shoot the darn things. One called the Sheriffs Dept. one night, the deputy that
    showed up buys powder from me, just asked if he could over and get some. My lands platted different from theirs,,do lac u wanna.

yotehater, mikeinct, Bc'z and 3 others like this.
  6. mic2377

mic2377

Well the big issue with feral hogs is the hunting industry itself. They can be totally eliminated with a combination of trapping and judicious night hunting, but no one actually wants to get rid of them all. People pay for hunting leases and/or guides, and hog hunting is a massive industry.

A $5 bounty isn't going to do squat. And not to mention the HUGE issue of restricted areas where you can't shoot.

We are our own worst enemies when it comes to the feral hog problem. This is why DNR's in many of northern states have banned hog hunting outright to prevent this issue.

hogpatrol and pirate ammo like this.
  7. pirate ammo

you can't get rid of all of them, but you can darn sure put a pile of hurt on them. Not to mention, when you tell people your going to leave them for the buzzards they get UPSET.

nmkid, mikeinct, Bc'z and 2 others like this.
  8. Bojo

Bojo

If we can wipe out buffalo and other species I'd be sure that we could wipe out hogs. Having open ,free access to any property would be paramount.
    With all that being said a woodchuck hunter where I come from waits till after Memorial day to go afield on any field that you want to shoot at year after year. By that time the young are able to be on thier own, shoot to early in the spring and you can wipe them out or put a serious hurting on them.

nmkid, MrMajestic and Lone Hunter like this.
  9. pirate ammo

As said before, some here in Texas have learned you can make more money leasing land to hunt pigs than just wacking them and cutting the tails off for bounty.

SPJ, joshb, MrMajestic and 1 other person like this.
  10. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

I know they are a pest over there and cost you guys allot of money but man im jealous

11. JSH

JSH

I quit believing they are a true problem after seeing what is charged on a per hog basis. Got no problem paying a trespass fee (with in reason) or what ever ya want to call it along with a guide fee room and board etc.

It seems to me some want the “pied piper” to pay them for every “rat” he gets rid of.

12. Kurz

Kurz

Buffalo birth one live calf a year after a 9-month gestation. Feral hogs have been a problem because of birth rate:

"Feral hogs (also called wild hogs; Sus scrofa) are characterized by high reproductive potential, with a young age at puberty, large litters, and frequent breeding. The recent expanding range of this non-native species provides evidence of its high reproductive capacity. In general, the various aspects of the reproductive biology of feral hogs in the United States are intermediate between that of domestic swine and the Eurasian wild boar. However, these various reproductive parameters can vary widely between populations of these non-native animals due to both genetic and environmental factors.

Female feral hogs can reach sexual maturity as young as 3-4 months of age; however, most wild sows reach puberty by the time they are one year old. Females of this species are polyestrous, being able to come into estrus every 18-24 days if they are not successfully bred. The ovulation rate typically averages 7-8 shed ova but can range from 3-15. The feral hog’s gestation period averages 112-120 days and can vary from 100-140 days. Fetal litters in feral hogs average 5-6 embryos/fetuses and range from 1-14."

They breed faster and in larger litters than they can be eliminated. The buffalo stood still until the entire herd was dead. Pigs run at the first shot.

Good luck with THAT idea! I certainly wouldn't allow just anyone onto my property in a way you suggest. I own it, I pay for it and I maintain it. What gives you the right to just amble on whenever you feel like it?:mad::eek:

Rustytigwire, joshb, McGraw and 4 others like this.
  13. centerlineseal

centerlineseal Gold $$ Contributor

Same here, ... but I will give permission when asked, ... if appropriate. (No hogs here however)

Mark W and Bc'z like this.
  14. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

Kurz, way back in Ag class we remembered swine gestation as 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days.

MrMajestic likes this.
  15. danny

danny

Sounds kind of similar to the people that moved into the rural area that I once lived in. People from the Suburbs and City moved in, because they wanted to be in the country. As soon as they got into the country, they found a lot of things that they did not like in the country, which were always so, and common place. They then set about to get things changed. Would that not start to change the country into what they left, which they left because they did not like it? Would it not have just been simpler remaining where they were?

Danny

Willie, varmintshooter, JSH and 2 others like this.
  16. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

That is way to complicated for some of those folks.

MrMajestic, danny and hogpatrol like this.