Help

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by butchlambert, Feb 12, 2019.

1. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

We have a big problem with feral dogs and cats on our property. Wife said she has heard of shotgun shells with plastic BBs. She just wants to bust their A$$ and let them know that they need to stay away.
    Any help will be appreciated.

2. 1slingshot

1slingshot Silver $$ Contributor

Rat shot in a 22 will work well

3. scubohuntr

scubohuntr

If they are truly feral, I'd go with tungsten #2s. Wildlife managers and hunters will thank you. If they might belong to the neighbors they get one shot with rat shot, next time it's on for real.

Jdne5b and Whit holman like this.
  4. Prairiedogger

Prairiedogger

Don't dick around. Shoot to kill if they are feral. Night scope,

Prose, swd, Whit holman and 2 others like this.
  5. theMadAlaskan

theMadAlaskan Gold $$ Contributor

Just this morning I was at a gun shop looking at 12 gauge rounds with rubber balls. It's LE "less than lethal" stuff.

6. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

A live trap and a 22. That's what I do.. Take em to the "Farm"

DHuffman likes this.
  7. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

I agree get them before they bite a kid or worse.

8. butchlambert

Rat shot does not have near enough range.

TimS likes this.
  9. Bojo

Bojo

If you really just want to scare them away , a pump up daisy or Crossman bb gun is all u need. If they are truly feral and either are or potentially gona cause problems them unfortunately something more of a one time permanent solution is necessary. Sad but true that these thing need done , but the reality of it is such that at some point this issue was started by a human one way or another and as such needed cleaned up by someone else.

10. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe SSOY 2004 Gold $$ Contributor

Butch, what you are looking for is "Riot control shells" and like was said they are an LE item but you can probably get them with a little help. I don't think there is anything illegal about them, just available to LE only in general. You can load some shells with rock salt as an alternative.

11. Rsadams

Rsadams

Might contact your local Sheriff department , here if they are endangering people , property or live stock you can use a more permanent solution... Another option is to have the county trap them for you... I have not seen a shotgun load with plastic BBs only rubber buckshot etc but those can also be lethal or at least do serious damage of course not as much as lead...

butchlambert likes this.
  12. butchlambert

Thanks Joe. I'll call a couple of the cop shops in the area.

13. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Ground up Tylenol in cat food.. Not a great way for them to die. But they won't die in your yard. I firmly believe in not creating evidence against myself.. Antifreeze mixed in works too..

Bc'z likes this.
  14. North Fork

North Fork

I would call the sheriff and the local dog pond and talk with them they are not hard to trap

15. butchlambert

Well our sheriff's dept does not do animal control. No animal control or pound in rural areas.

16. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

Wild dogs form packs and hunt for fun, not food. They will decimate wildlife in the areas where they roam.

I'm a dog lover but there's really only one solution, and unfortunately, your wife isn't going to be too keen about it.

Bc'z likes this.
  17. butchlambert

Actually our biggest problem is with the cats. Yes, we are cat lovers and have a couple. Ours are house cats and don't roam at all outside. I have to keep my garage closed, take the cushions off our furniture on the deck, and they gather under my deer feeder to attack the birds. They run in packs of 5.

18. gambleone

gambleone Silver $$ Contributor

I agree with Bojo. BB gun is all you need to scare them away. I have a pump up crossman and use bb's & 2 pumps. Even if you come close, it still scares em. With dogs I'd use 3/4 pumps depending how far they were.

19. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

Well you could do what my father in law does. He had a coon problem in his horse barn getting into the feed. live traps. when he finds one, he just takes it to town on his way to work in the morning and turns it loose on main street....far enough away to not come back and a little fun too

simo hayha and mikeinct like this.
  20. Hopkins

Hopkins

Our local rescue groups trap, neuter and release feral cats. This is a common practice as far as I know. They prefer to release them where they were trapped originally. Theoretically it will eventually solve the problem but I doubt that. The only cat population moderating factor here is the coyotes, and them I still shoot. I used to dispatch any seemingly feral cat I spotted. That is no longer PC in my household.