Help with a Vintage Sniper Build

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by watercam, Oct 8, 2017.

1. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Hi folks,
    Looking for advice for a K98 Vintage Sniper build. I can not afford a Springfield nor can I find a M96 or K31 that are affordable so am using a 24/47. I am committed to using this rifle as my base. My question revolves around mounting a Swept-back scope mount. The base is a 4"x .4" steel bar that is meant to be attached to the side of the magazine well on the left side. There are no holes/screws on this one nor on any original parts that I have seen. They appear to be silver soldered in place flush with the mag well on the bottom. Is there any need to ad screws to a silver soldered piece? Total weight of scope and base will be around 2Ibs. and about 6" high top to bottom.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. Ggmac

Ggmac

Are you duplicating a mount . Please email or post some pics . The mag well is tapered . I've got many Mauser sniper books and I'm not sure of the one your talking about . I'm familiar with the swept mount , just not one that attaches down there . The ones I've done , uh seen , were mounted on the sight base .
    Your not looking at one of the Russian AK mounts retrofitted to Mausers . Inter ordnance did a few variations of these.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  3. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Too much trouble for what it is. It is a rectangular bar 4"x .4" that attaches to the very thin mag well of a Mauser 98. It is already contoured to the only place it will fit. I think I will just have it Tig welded in three spots and back up with 3 #8-40 screws. If I am thrown off the line for the weld, so be it!
    Thanks for the reply!

4. Ggmac

Ggmac

Rivet it , solid steel like AK , with the weld .
    I think the screws would get a good grip , with such thin material.

5. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Silver $$ Contributor

Did a quick search on Google Image, could not find a single picture of a mount that was soldered. Found many that are screwed to the side, attach to the top, etc.

Most common that came up was this picture, notice that the mount sits forward of the magwell where there is more meet to attach to:
    upload_2017-10-9_5-31-49.jpeg

6. Kurz

Kurz

I'm not sure with what little you have written (and no photo), whether you have the K98 mount or the G43 mount since they are decidedly different.

[​IMG]

The G43 swept back mount is the lower image of the two Mausers. It has the 'bar' as you describe it . All of the G43's came manufactured for scope mounting while the K98 did not. Some K98's were mounted as above by using the sight base while other used a machined flat on the left side of the action.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure this is helpful since you have already made your decision as to how to handle your mounting. If it's duplicative information I can delete my response.

Regards.

7. Ggmac

Ggmac

I've got some pics of the rarest late war swept back mount and base . I can only email pics if anyone wants them . It isn't like the previous pics .
    Gary