Help me out with 700 Bottom metal or DBM

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Ledd Slinger, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Setting up a new hunting version of my 300 Norma Mag Improved. Looking at the price on BDL bottom metal, I might as well go a few ounces heavier and use a DBM. With standard BDL I would probably be limited to 2 rounds in the mag anyhow with how big the rugby case is.

My loaded rounds limit my selection on everything. Action will be a CC Axiom that can accept longer mags. COAL with longest bullet I might use is 3.7" (Sierra 230gr MK touching lands)

Not many options with that round length. What would you suggest?
    I don't like the obnoxious latches on some of the dbm's that can get caught on things. I really like the APA dbm latch design. Must also be made from aluminum to save weight. Problem is almost nobody lists the internal mag length dimensions. I have never owned a bolt rifle with dbm so looking for some advice here. I have my own mill so inletting the stock is not a big issue. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Nice action choice. Sunny Hill makes nice bm . No clue if they make something that would work. Just a passing thought. Good luck!:D:D

Paul

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  3. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

HS Precision long action bottom metal max length is that 3.7 inches. If you like theirs, Red Hawk Rifles has the best prices I’ve found.

boltfluter likes this.
  4. Ledd Slinger

Yeah they are nice, but they are all stainless. Weight is over 12 oz. Heaviest of all the dbms

McGraw likes this.
  5. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

I like the APA DBM. I also like Surgeon DBM.

6. LRPV

LRPV Jason Walker Gold $$ Contributor

I’m using APA on my 300WM with CIP length 338 Lapua Accurate Mags. I think that’s the longest option for a standard long action. APA would be a great choice especially on a hunting rig.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  7. dminn1

dminn1

There's a lot to be said for a BDL bottom metal in a hunting rig. No magazine to accidentally leave behind, nothing to snag on the bottom, and no accidental ejected magazines. Stocky's has some very nice solid billet machined options.

LRPV and Ledd Slinger like this.
  8. Ledd Slinger

Yeah the APA is nice. I called them and they said the max OAL is about 3.640" with their CIP bottom metal. So it must use the shorter 3.715" magazines.

Found a PTG that uses the longer 3.775" mags. Bonus is that it doesnt require stock inletting. Don't like the release on it, but considering the price it looks pretty good. Has good reviews too. I could machine up a new release latch that doesnt protrude so bad.

Screenshot_20181206-104947_Chrome.jpg

9. Ledd Slinger

I thought it was odd that every DBM manufacturer I called this morning didn't seem to have a clue what length cartridges their bottom metal/magazines would allow :eek: Found it rather disturbing actually. How is it that the people building them don't know dimensions??? One guy didn't even know if the dbm had an M5 foortprint or not :confused:. I guess most of them just shoot factory ammo and don't care one way or the other...:rolleyes:

10. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Curtis makes nice bottom metal with a nice mag release design. Long version coming soon, 3.8ish I hear.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  11. Ledd Slinger

Yeah I saw they were using a release design similar to APA. I really like that style of release. Hopefully they get the long action dbm out soon with a 338 Lapua mag becaus I like their 3 round mag design a lot better than the standard AI mags for a hunting platform.

Alex Wheeler likes this.
  12. LRPV

This is what I use in my APA. Measures 3.775” inside.

Attached Files:

13. Sniper338

Sniper338

Seekins once made extra long DBM and mag, then stopped making them. I have one on my 338 lapua I got lucky enough to find. Its long enough to seat out berger 300s in the lapua case.. Cant remember the inside length though. After they stopped making the big mags there was nothing on the market to fill the void. Im still not certain any company stepped in yet to make bigger mags.

If only I had a machines to make magazines...

Sorry. No help, but I am guessing the void isnt filled yet and the standard lengths you fine are still just it...

14. Ledd Slinger

Really? I didn't think the APA was that long. But like I said, the rep didn't seem to know much about his own product.

Is that the CIP long action 700 from APA?

Are you running that dbm on a custom 700?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 12:49 PM
  15. LRPV

Well, I don't know. Moon at Crescent Customs took my parts and built the rifle. It is on a 700 that he worked over, quite nicely I might add. I would assume that the feed ramp has been shortened to accept the longer rounds but other than that, it's just a long action 700.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  16. Ledd Slinger

Thanks. Looks like I will have to re-investigate the APA.

17. Ledd Slinger

So I called APA again to double check. First guy didn't know the mag length they used. Waited on hold for about 6 minutes, then another guy picked up and wasn't sure and had to measure. Said they were 3.775" mags. Wonder if your smith modified the bottom metal to accept the longer 3.850" Accurate mags?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 5:47 PM
  18. LRPV

Wish I knew so I could help you out. I really don't see how. They only measure 3.775" inside even though they say 3.85" on the mag.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  19. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

When you call APA again, ask to speak with Jered Joplin, the owner.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  20. cotntop

cotntop

Do not know if this will help but I use Badger Ordnance. I send my stocks to them for inletting and have them back in around a week.

Ledd Slinger likes this.