Heavy 10 First Step - Power

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by GSPV, Oct 1, 2018.

1. sdean

sdean Gold $$ Contributor

If you would just wire that thing up and make some chips you will soon forget about your worries now and find many more new worries. That old lathe grew up all the way to now without having you to worry about it. Wait about 3 years before admitting to your first screw ups like I have. My first barrel i chambered has the ugliest tenon which no one can see. Shoots great. Have fun it is a never ending project.

hpshooter and hoz53 like this.
  2. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure.

Not only do I have time, I am actually going as fast as I can.

I’m filling in the gaps by gathering information on how to do it right.

I’m not opposed at all to going for it when that’s what’s needed. It’s just not needed or really even possible right now.

The electrician will put in the 220 outlet this coming week. I can’t put the lathe where it will sit until that is done.

Going to get the oils on order. Check into how to do that oiling. Then I’ll clean and lube all the gears and replace the V belt. When I’m not doing that I’ll check into how to install the new belt.

Need to get bolts and nuts for the leveling/squaring system.

Then I can do the initial wiring of the VFD to the outlet and the VFD to the lathe.

Then put her in place and accomplish the squaring/leveling.

Yadda-Yadda.

Lots of fun to be had here.

All this is headed toward my first real project of making a spider for the outboard side.

3. sdean

Spider tip maybe. I made one that screws on the bearing lock or thrust lock, only threads there. I also drilled and tapped the spindle itself. The spindle is hard right there. I have a 13 so headstock is longer than yours. On a short barrel every inch shorter helps. Good luck

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  4. GSPV

I’ve thought about radiusing the ID of the cover that the outboard spindle end is accessed from so that I can put a spider on that just slips over the OD of spindle with set screws to hold it there.

5. GenePoole

GenePoole

It would be good threading practice. I never could get one to hold on tightly with set screws without tightening them to the point of mangling the spindle.

6. sdean

You will learn more than you want to know on one part. Take that nut off and use it to make a male plug to use for your internal threads on your spider. So now you know how to turn and thread and how to bore and internal thread. You need those tools anyway. Only took me 2 tries for my first project. I have been whittling on a 3 inch by two foot piece of aluminum from speedy materials for years.If you have not been on the s/b forum for practical machinist then you should. There people there that will know everything there is to know off the top of their head about that lathe. Have fun.

P.s. Just my two cents on leveling and squaring your lathe. If all you are going to do is stuff 3 inches from the chuck you will never see the diff. I'll get around to doing mine one day.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  7. GSPV

84118B5F-2119-4DA9-AFD3-C35C6C4FC66D.jpeg We may be talking past each other. My spindle isn’t threaded on the outboard side. Either internal or external.

I am already over on Practical Machinist. Same handle there as here.

Going to have to clean it up some in there. It’s going to rain here for three days. It’ll give me something to do.

I’d already figured out the squaring thing when chambering through the headstock from the geometry. But, I want to do it right. I’m debating buying a machinist’s level or doing it with the plumb bob hack.

8. Jonathan Zimmerman

Jonathan Zimmerman Silver $$ Contributor

I had a TECO for my heavy 10 and was satisfied with it too.

9. sdean

Sorry a 13 is different. A lot i don't know.