Heavy 10 First Step - Power

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by GSPV, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

I expected as much, as such is usually the case. I don't know where SPJ lives, but having 3-phase service installed in MY state is neither viable or cost effective.

2. alinwa

alinwa

Yes it is...

I share my driveway with 2 other property owners, it's a mile long. The first neighbor is only a few hundred yards in, the second property owner hasn't developed a homesite but he was adamant about availability of 3-phase power..... his shop has it and he thinks it should be an option.

Problem is, the main road going by the end of the shared driveway doesn't even have 3 legs available! So this guy paid the electrical contractor to install 3/4mi of 4" Sched 40 and J-Boxes every quarter mile so IN THE EVENT the county upgraded the service along the main road a prospective buyer COULD hopefully install 3-phase someday.

In the meanwhile, yrs passed, a rock quarry was developed with a 2mi haul road that crosses our driveway and they bought 3-phase and ran it up the new road which serendipitously CROSSES EXACTLY AT THE LAST J-BOX! I'm a plan-ahead guy, so is this other fellow on the road...... but in this case it's a simple illustration of "the best laid plans of mice and men ga' oft a'gley" eh!!

THAT'S why I find the "simplicity" angle of "just getting 3-phase" to be funny,

never was directed at you, just sayin' that in MY experience with city/county/state administrations, ain't NUTTIN' ever simple....

Steve morgan and hoz53 like this.
  3. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah it would have cost me an additional 3800 to the electric utility in my shop and also the breaker panel is much more expensive.

4. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

3/4 of a mile of 4 inch schedule 40 plus the trenching is serious doe

5. hoz53

Truer words have never been spoken about building departments and they get worse every year.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  6. SPJ

The VFD that I just Googled looks similar to the well controller I've had installed in a couple of new home projects. They ran off a 30 amp breaker, am I with you on that?
    Administrations I deal with on a daily bases so I'm cool there.

7. hoz53

Another thing around here the utility will want to know how much electricity you will be buying from them every month if you want to install 3 phase. The minimum is much more than a hobbyist or even a guy with a one man full time shop would use.

8. hoz53

A VFD is much different than a well controller for a house. VFDs come in many different sizes. You can get one for a 100 horse motor if you want.

SPJ likes this.
  9. SPJ

I've never been asked that question,
    I do however calculate load and locked rotor current when filling out my power apps , new transformers cost me around 6k upgrading a 25 K pole transformer is under a grand I've paid 2700 to have a new pole set etc. Extending a gas main is $60 a ft now

10. SPJ

Thx guys
    I'm learning quite a bit, I'll step aside and follow along

11. hoz53

Well ok here they ask about the load and # of hours you will be using the equipment so they calculate their revenue from it. With 3 phase you need 3 transformers. Sometimes they are all built into one housing.

12. SPJ

Sounds like the typical water company :cool:

13. SPJ

Why would they need to calculate hours?
    There's a meter..

14. Someoldguy

The electric utility is not interested in installing or maintaining equipment that is not creating a positive revenue stream.

For someone who claims to deal with these situations all the time, you certainly seem to lack a fundamental understanding.

hoz53 likes this.
  15. SPJ

When they ask you about load they may be calculating your current transformer for capacity

16. Someoldguy

They get much bigger than that. I deal with stuff that's 1000 HP per motor and I've no doubt there's bigger stuff out there.

17. SPJ

That's the most ridiculous statement .. does the nurse know your on the internet?

18. hoz53

They want to know before the meter is there - when things are in the planning stages so they can project revenue also yes they need to size the transformer but they want to calculate revenue also.

19. hoz53

I know they do - I was using that as an example. I have installed some bigger than that to. Thanks

20. Someoldguy

Oh, now that's a real zinger. I should ask you the same about your mother. :rolleyes: