Heatwave? Time to reload!

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by joshb, Jul 21, 2019.

1. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

It’s miserable outside so I’m staying inside at the reloading bench. So far, I’ve done:
    222- 50 test rounds. New old gun
    6ppc-50 test loads. New gun
    6ppc-50 test loads. New barrel
    6br- 100 rounds plus 50 test rounds for new bullet
    6br- 50 test rounds. New barrel
    308- 100 rounds
    308 Palma-100 rounds
    6mm Rem- 50 test rounds. New old gun
    6.5 x 47 Lapua- 100 rounds
    6.5 Creedmoor- 50 test rounds for new bullet plus 50 rounds old recipe.
    6.5x55- 80 rounds
    6xc- 100 rounds
    223- 500 rounds
    338 Win Mag- 100 rounds

I’m almost hoping this heatwave lasts a couple more days!;)

2. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

A Creedmoor????.... I thought you were better then that. :D Nice work though!

3. D-4297

D-4297 Silver $$ Contributor

Heatwave ? Should I send a Whaa-aaam-bulance ? Just another typical summer day in Phoenix , Az. Think it was 107 - 108 here today
    and I shot some load development at B A this afternoon . But it's a "DRY" heat !

Delfuego and hogpatrol like this.
  4. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

Yeh 108 is normal for us in El Centro. We like the dry heat.

Attached Files:

McGraw likes this.
  5. joshb

I couldn’t help myself.;)

6. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

I loaded up 30 test rds for 223 and 20 for 22/250 on Saturday thinking I did a decent days progress. Tried to find something to load up yesterday but got sidetracked somehow and didn't get much (nothing) accomplished other than staying indoors.

joshb likes this.
  7. rebs

rebs Silver $$ Contributor

I have been inside reloading during the afternoon and shooting early in the morning before it gets hot

joshb likes this.
  8. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Processing .28 Nosler and a load of .17 Fireball. The heat may be ok for you young bucks but us old farts need to be careful. Old guy up the street had a heart attack. Wife found him in the garage in time to get help.Ok now but more people die from heat than storms.

Lone Hunter and joshb like this.
  9. cw308

cw308

Didn't shoot this weekend 308 , too hot . I did load 100 230's for my 1911.

joshb likes this.
  10. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

Hey, don't forget to shut your AC off before using your scale. You want good results

Ray

joshb likes this.
  11. joshb

I use powders that aren’t “temp sensitive” and a Scott Parker tuned scale. Thanks Ray, but I’ll keep it on.:p

Hog is right about us “old farts”. One of our Church members almost died from water poisoning. His wife told him to stay hydrated. Evidently, he drank too much plain water and depleted the electrolytes in his blood stream. The ambulance got there just in time to save him.o_O

12. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I shot on Friday and pour and finish a house slab tomorrow. I'll be 60 soon, it's starting to get a little tuff in the summer time here in the middle of North Florida. I've seen heat indexes of 110-115 since the end of May.

13. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

Capture.JPG
    Agreed

D-4297 likes this.
  14. centerlineseal

centerlineseal

And, ... it'll cook a turkey!

joshb likes this.
  15. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

With all of the other restrictions here in NY, I decided to neither load nor shoot this weekend. Too sticky and if outside for a few hours in the heat and humidity, I would stink up my car on the ride home.

But in the winter, I have the pleasure of saying:

It was so cold outside, I saw a turkey with a capon.

joshb likes this.
  16. Rsadams

Rsadams

7 days in a row at or near or above 100 here in central Texas and this is just the start... 114 is not impossible here with high humidity , you will die here from it.... At this point absolutely everything I reload and then some has been reloaded and sitting on a shelf for a few weeks... I try and sneak to the range from 8:00 am to about 11:00 am sometimes a whole lot less time before I leave... By then your soaking wet... This is the time of year I practice with Rimfire more than anything because I don't have to look for my brass out in the sun....

In 2011 I had heat stroke 4-5 times , put in the hospital 3 times at least and about 12 IVs for dehydration.... I live in a bad place when you can't get hot anymore... During the winter I do my big rifle shooting/training and a ton of pistol... I feel bad I haven't shot my pistol in about a month and I try and go 2-3 times a week at least... There's a cold front coming Wednesday and should knock it down to 94 degrees , I am going to try and get some pistol time in.. Take it from me be careful out there , a bottle of water is what $2-3 , an IV for dehydration is about $3000 a piece.....

joshb and Zero333 like this.
  17. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

LOL
    I'm in Southwester Ontario, Canada and with the Humidex we reached 110 last Friday. With out the humidex it was only between 90 and 95 most of last week. But the Humidity is always there and I hate it.
    I lived in Spain for 3 and a half years and I remember many times the temp going over 40c ( 105+f) but rarely got very humid so 105+ f was not unpleasant.

I too did tons of reloading last week. Lots of 9mm on my xl650. Besides the regular loads, I made some test batches of 50 to 100 with different powders and bullets. Loaded some 223 and 308 as well.

joshb and Rsadams like this.
  18. Rsadams

Rsadams

Yes sir I had my Dillon going also last few weeks , it almost sucks to use when you have all the time in the world to reload but is so darn wonderful when you don't... I actually have been trying to figure out if I need to load some more but I just don't.... Plus I like to reload when I need it so it's fresh... Ok I will admit it I am bored..lol... It's very very rare I can say I have no reloading I need to do....

hogpatrol, joshb and Zero333 like this.
  19. joshb

Ya know..... I like “fresh” ammo, too! After reading all the posts about bullets cold welding to the cases, I don’t like to let it sit for too long. I just got bored with sitting around and said screw it!:rolleyes:
    I have 5 thousand empty pistol cases in a bin. I might just start on those.

Rsadams and Dgd6mm like this.
  20. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Load 'em up and shoot 'em! The world's going to end in 12 years anyway. :eek::D

RED DIRT, mike a and Raythemanroe like this.