Hearing Protection shopping

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by yotehater, Jul 17, 2016.

1. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

2. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

No, I have not. But, it mentions "biochemical processes behind hearing loss", so I'm not optimistic. Mine is from the tiny mechano-sensory structures called "cilia" in one ear being knocked flat by an acute "auditory insult" from a very loud stage monitor pointing right at my ear, and only a few feet away.

I have heard that there are sophisticated (and expensive) newer hearing aids with DSP that can be tuned to mask out tinnitus with variable success (YMMV as always.) However, any incoming frequencies matching the apparent tinnitus frequencies would necessarily be masked out as well, and my tinnitus is broad-spectrum, not a "ringing" so much as "pink noise". The outlook is bleak, but happily (to date, at least) my other ear still functions reasonably well, even allowing for normal high-frequency loss associated with aging and exposure to everyday noise, playing in various musical groups, and early years shooting with inadequate or no hearing protection.
    -

3. Dave Marshall

Dave Marshall

I have been evaluating my hearing protection lately and am not sure what direction to go.

Currently, I buy the HL orange foamies by the case and use them doubled up with Peltor shotguners for use with centerfire rifles on covered and open ranges. They do a great job of reducing the noise and I can use them comfortably all day while shooting. However I cannot hear range commands very well. When I’m scoring or further back I use just the foamies.

I also shoot PRS matches with braked muzzles going off all around. I need to be able to hear range commmands so I use foamies doulbed up with HL impacts. This combination works ok, but is not comfortable for all day use. Using just foamies for braked rifles is a no go even if I’m just spotting. Painful.

I bought a set of the Etymotic GSP-15’s last year, but I found the noise level uncomfortable even for non-braked centerfire rifles on an open range. I put them back in the box and haven’t really tried them again. I also tried the muffs over them and it didn’t help.

I am now considering laying down the cash for some MSA Sordins or Peltor CommTacs to be worn over the foamies.

4. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

I have a set of these with the neck band and really like them! I caught a deal on the pro gold for like $126

5. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Any chance that the extremely hard acoustical qualities of THAT range is causing the sensation to be carried by the mastoid and even possibly the cranium? Norm?

Norm, I know you keep giving chapter and verse and prob feel most replies are "Yes but...."
    BUT don't back off. Truth is truth. We and anyone new needs to hear it. Just as much as "the bullet does not rise" after leaving the muzzle and the last focus needs to be the front sight and not the target when pistol shooting.......

6. TrxR

TrxR

Any one here try Decibullz custom fit ? Decibullz.com

most foam plugs wont stay in my ears they keep coming out.

Right now i use a big set of peltor muffs.

7. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Brians356 - I read a bit of the site provided re tinnitus. Like you, I have tinnitus. I also understand, like you, that the hearing loss was caused by the cilia being mowed over so to speak, by the extreme noise, if you will, thereby mechanical.
    However, when doing a mental point counter point, I surmised that those tendrils that are now flat, non responsive - to incoming sound - may not be laying there generating what we're hearing, the tinnitus (crickets, 747 engines, whatever). I did read 8+ pages and can grasp that there may be a lot more going on than first thought.
    Just the surmisings of a geezer who is really enjoying his 2 month old hearing aids. :)

8. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Silver $$ Contributor

Not sure, but what I can say is that sometimes the noise is painfully loud with only foam or only muffs, and not an issue with both. I have experienced this on concrete metal covered ranges, and on grass open ranges. My only hypothesis is that properly fitting foam (or muffs) is not as easily obtained under typical shooting range conditions as it is in a lab. I will continue to double up - pain can't be good.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  9. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

Double up!!!!
    I run E.A.R. Inc customs plus Impact Sport Electronic muffs.

10. normmatzen

normmatzen Gold $$ Contributor

Dave Marshal,
    The GSP-15 has just about the same potential protection of yello foamies.. BUT! You MUST use the best tips to accomplish protection. The best tips are the grey foam tips and the second best is 3 ridged plastic tips. AND! You must learn how to insert them for proper protection,check out the curves below.

Attached Files: