Hearing Protection shopping

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by yotehater, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Martin52

Martin52

2. JRS

JRS

Stay away from the universal fit, if you want to protect your hearing.

3. normmatzen

normmatzen Silver $$ Contributor

If you look closely at the NO-NOISE plugs, they have response similar to the old yellow foamies but less attenuation. The response is still a low pass filter and don't believe the low frequencies are safe! The 29 dB attenuation they talk about is at 8000 Hz and the total response is way different from natural ear canal response so while you will be able to hear , it will be distorted.
    The Etymotic ER-20 ETY-PLUGS not only have effectively the same broad band attenuation, the response is flatter so what you hear will sound way better.

And, they are way cheaper!

Incidentally, the ETY-PLUG uses a carefully designed audio filter using the tube equivalent of an inductor, capacitor and resistor to tune the response.

To evaluate any companies product, go to their web site to find actual response curves. These are on both NO-NOISE and Etymotic's web sites. DO NOT ACCEPT ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE!

4. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Gold $$ Contributor

NORMATZEN: Is this what you are talking about? And what is meant by 'standard fit'?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEESS/?tag=accuratescom-20

5. normmatzen

No, the blue ones are for small ear canals. The standard size have off white ear tips. The newer model is a better device, but the old ones with the long skinny tip are still fine.

6. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

I have some MSA Supreme Pro-X muffs. They're well made, very comfortable, and overpriced. They work pretty well for the high frequency noise, but for lower frequencies from rifles, especially large ones, they are not sufficient. The electronics are ok. Nothing special. Doubled up with foam, even over glasses, the protection is as good as you can get. I have no issues on a covered concrete firing line.

Bottom line is that nothing I have ever tried has beat foam and muffs. The big awkward muffs come close, but low profile ones need plugs under them. This is backed up by the fairly easy to find scientific literature out there. Double up and call it a day. Buy what's cheap and comfortable.

7. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Boyd, I purchased a set of the Sensgard protectors and did as you described- I inserted the 32NRR foamies as designed and put the Sensgard over the top. Wow, It 'feels' like I get at least the same protection as my Howard Leight's over foamies but without the issue with the muff cup striking the stock. Thanks for the post.

8. normmatzen

rardoin and others.

I keep trying to tell you all, using foamies under any muffs will afford best attenuation.

BUT! You don't need the muffs! Just properly inserted foamies will afford the best protection you can get!

It just gets a bit more complicated if you want to hear something also.

And always beware anecdotal evidence including "It seems good to me!"

9. JRS

JRS

You are, as usual, absolutely correct;):cool:

10. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

That has not been my experience under all conditions. Foam alone at my range (covered concrete) is not sufficient - it's almost painfully loud. Real world issues - plug fit, eye pro, etc, make doubling up a sensible thing to me. Neither foam nor muffs alone do the job (although the big blocky peltor muffs I have come close - the low profile MSA's are simply not good enough by themselves, even on an uncovered grass range). I can absolutely hear the difference.

11. JRS

JRS

A properly inserted well fit foam earplug seals the ear canal and is less likely to allow acoustical leaks than any muff type protection. Simply look at the higher attenuation values of foam plugs as compared to muffs.

12. savagedasher

savagedasher

I can tell you that you can't get too much . My Grandson uses molded inter ear protection Along with pro ears gold. When you see him put his hand up and cover his ears when someone is shooting next to him
    I know what he is using isn't enough .
    Larry

13. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Simply stated...in my opinion only. Don't ever go cheap on hearing protection. You don't have to go crazy, but cheap is as cheap does. That being said, the cheap foamies work best when used properly. MOST have no clue how to use them correctly.

14. normmatzen

If you really want to protect your hearing, stop using your "feelings" about what works best or accepting anecdotal evidence!

Peer reviewed and clinical testing is the only valid input for safe decisions!

For yellow foamies to work right, you have to learn and take the time
    to insert them correctly! Then, you will have protection limited only by your mastoid bone! Adding a muff to that is a waste of money.

JRS likes this.
  15. JRS

JRS

Absolutely!

16. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

I know this is an old thread but figured I would bump it rather than start a new one. Boyd, are you still using this combination?

What is the most effective hearing protection being used now?

Thanks

17. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

After my old muffs died, I replaced them with these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T7QJ9O/?tag=accuratescom-20
    They seem to work just fine. BTW when it comes to attenuation, I tend to believe my ears.

18. dbramley

dbramley Dan Bramley

After years of molded ear plugs etc my daughter and I settled on the Peltor TEP-100 with skull screw tips. A bit pricey but work perfect and allow you to hear range commands and coaches perfectly.

19. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

I use Peltor X5A ear muffs. I have serious issues with ear wax and properly inserted ear plugs result in a trip to the ENT to get impacted wax off my ear drum.

These muffs will get in the way of some stocks, depending on how low your scope is, how much cheek wield you use, and how wide the cheekpiece is. It's no problem with any of my rifles, but I mount my scopes high, even on the hunting rifles.

EDIT: I want to mention that 3M actually publishes frequency attenuation data for their muffs, unlike virtually everyone else, so that you can see how each muff in their line performs at different frequencies. This is much more valuable compared to the completely bogus NRR rating most manufacturers put on their stuff.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  20. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Boyd, regarding experiencing an "eerie silence" - alas, if only I could. Tinnitus never sleeps.
    -