Hearing protection act

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Jalen, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Jalen

Jalen

Last I heard the bill was introduced I believe that was last year, haven’t heard much on it since. What’s the inside scoop on that?

2. varmintshooter

varmintshooter Silver $$ Contributor

Yeah, what happened? I think the shooting in Vegas put an end to it. I hope it is still alive.

3. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

It was shelved.

4. missed

missed

Everytime it gets close someone goes and shoots up something, the baseball game, Vegas.....

5. rr2030

rr2030

Manchurian Candidates

300_whisper and seymour fish like this.
  6. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

I'm not arguing, or saying you are wrong here, But I don't think it was ever remotely as close as a lot of people dreamed it was.
    And even if it was to make it to a vote, there would have been some things plucked from it, one in particular was the refund of stamps purchased. Heck, give your wife 200 bucks and ask for it back, :(

6.5creed, pirate ammo, Geno C and 7 others like this.
  7. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Silver $$ Contributor

Shelved after Vegas; Ryan wouldn't allow it to come to a vote.

Makes you wonder how gun friendly the repubs really are when they have the house/senate/presidency and they shelve a gun bill that is literally common sense. Not like they're going to sway any moderate voters by doing this either.

300_whisper, mikeinct, Barlow and 3 others like this.
  8. rr2030

rr2030

Well, its conservatives that are gun and constitution friendly, not republicans. Used to be many pro gun dems, but they are evaporating under the common cause of their party. Too many weak repubs now days. I haven't heard anything about the CCW Reciprocity since a few weeks after inauguration.

9. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

Far too many politicians see this as a facade for getting an evil "SILENCER" legalized w/o registration. Everyone knows you can kill someone in a room full of people w/a big bore handgun and no one will hear the shot. Most of these politicians only know what they have seen in the movies, and are not going to verify reality before they vote, even if it comes to a vote. LDS

'Freak and varmintshooter like this.
  10. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Ryan refused to being it to the floor after it was approved in committee.

11. Jalen

Jalen

Well hopefully we the people can get a true constitutionalist in there, that’s a stretch I know. I guess I should have realized this bill just makes to much since for politicians to grasp. I thought the policy was you have to first pass it to know what’s in it...

12. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Only if it's a Dem bill, and this would never be a Dem bill. It's a political hot button issue. When Ryan leaves in 2019, then the new speaker should be a little more amenable I hope.

13. clunker

clunker Silver $$ Contributor

As much as I hate to say it, the speaker in 2019 might be Pelosi. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

pirate ammo, 300_whisper and tmwinds like this.
  14. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

All you gotta do is throw a bill on hearing protection in with some welfare money and itll pass

rardoin, LarryDScott, 'Freak and 5 others like this.
  15. Geno C

Geno C

Ryan is from my state. He is spineless and I made sure to tell he that we know that. As the leader he should have brought it to a vote and threw anyone who didn’t vote for it under the bus.

wbm likes this.
  16. Evan

Evan

There are several good scientific studies that correlate hearing loss with faster onset of brain disease as we age. There are a lot of ways to present this bill in the light of decreasing healthcare costs and improving quality of life as we age. Any well prepared person could readily defend this bill as about more than just giving gun nuts suppressors.

17. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

First, I have 8 tax stamps for silencers.
    I have never agreed with HPA, and never remotely thought it stood a chance of passing.
    We choose to shoot, our hearing is our responsibility. No one makes you shoot a gun, no one makes you subject yourself to gunfire. Shooting is on par with smoking, it's your choice.
    But yet we ask for legislation to protect ourselves from ourselves. One more 20 oz soda law.
    I was never sure how far HPA would have went as to what the requirements would have been, but that tax stamp and vetting process, and stiffer penalties, keeps class 3 items from the criminal element for now.
    Is all HP 41(?) and the wishful thinking of HPA going through did was vapor lock the industry for 12 months. It stressed the heck out of the surviving companies, and bankrupted others.

pirate ammo and JRS like this.
  18. Jalen

Jalen

I respectfully disagree. No law stops a criminal element from obtaining anything illegal if they want it bad enough all it does is stop the law abiding. Our hearing is out responsibility yes which is why we should have the right to obtain nothing more than a muffler. I hope you won’t try and dictate to another law abiding (adult) citizen that ear muffs are enough.

Edit: Also I have my own range and I do everything by the books, I’m sure my neighbors would appreciate the HPA. Unlike smoking (which you can take outside as to not affect others) shooting does affect neighbors close to a range.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM
    69mach, Geno C and 'Freak like this.
  19. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

You are seriously comparing the HPA to a law banning soda? Do you understand the intent of the legislation?

"...protect ourselves from ourselves..." ??? How so?

We are free to engage in the shooting sports, but removing the ban on a device as innocuous as a lawnmower muffler is somehow a threat to liberty, or free enterprise??

Geno C likes this.
  20. clunker

clunker Silver $$ Contributor

Kind of difficult to hear animals stirring in the brush when you are hunting with ear plugs in.

Geno C and 'Freak like this.