Hearing aids?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by rjtfroggy, Apr 30, 2019.

1. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Silver $$ Contributor

It is time to get a hearing test and some hearing aids.
    My concern is what do you do at the range with them? Remove them or cover over with good electronic muffs? I found out the other night that some one behind me speaking is just noise, it is getting to where I can't make out what is being said, and I am worried that when I get them I won't hear range commands if I remove. I hear them fine with electronics on but then what do I do with the aids.
    Opinions or advice.

2. Jefferson

Jefferson

what, what what

3. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

I take mine out. Then again I don't deal with range commands. I paid over $7,000 fawkin dollars for them and half the time I still can't hear much, esp. in open areas or places that have a lot of reflective surfaces for sound.

I've heard good things about Costco and regret not having shopped around.

Three different times I've had the silicone earpiece come off and end up inside my ear. All 3 times it was the left ear. A couple years ago it was in there for maybe 10 days since I was leaving for Wyoming and the hearing aid place was closed that day.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  4. Jefferson

Jefferson

some of the noise cancelling earplugs come with a nice smallish black case that folds closed,

no zipper just a mechanism that you push together to open and when released it closes up

cannot remember my make but someone here will know

also wally world has some noise amplification ear wearing devices for 40 to 60 bucks that may work
    then not expensive at the range to use or lose

5. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

What's a good brand of noise canceling earplug? Never hurts to wear them with the muffs.

6. 1911nut

1911nut

7. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

I take mine out when shooting. I can still hear the range commands. I suggest a pair of electronic ear muffs, so you can hear the range commands and still block the gun noise.

I have been wearing hearing aids for 20+ years. The best ones that I have ever had are my current ones from Starkey. They are fully adjustable from my iPhone. You can program them to different loudness, bass & treble, and location ( it gets location from the iPhone.). They have a Crowd setting , so when it is noisy it damps the background noise.

I had a set of MiracleEar aids to wear when I had to have my Starkeys fixed, and while they had an iphone program, they were junk compared to the Starkeys, and I would not recommend them.

I can also say that no matter what the salesman tells you, you will never hear like you did in the past, and wedding receptions and noisy environments will still make it hard to tell what people are saying. That should not stop you from getting aids, they do really help.

Evan, 1shot, snakepit and 1 other person like this.
  8. divingin

divingin

Etymotics? You can order the clamshell case separately (hard plastic, large enough for the plugs and a couple of sets of ear tips if you're good at packing):

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/accessories/cases/er38-65ehp.html

9. Dave Berg

Dave Berg This used to be fun..... Silver $$ Contributor

I take mine out and used a pair of Howard Leight muffs that amplify the sound. About $50 for the low profile model. Makes it easy to hear range commands and if you take them off between relays you don't have to hear all the BS that's always at every match.

As far as the aids go IMHO Costco can't be beat. My current pair cost $1,600 compared to $4,500 or more from any local ENT guy. Made by Rexton. Three year warranty, excellent service, free cleaning and tuning, etc. It's the only reason I belong to Costco and I drive an hour and a half each way. Three trips is all it takes. I honestly believe hearing aids are the biggest ripoff in the "medical" field.

10. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

At the range, take them out, and put them in some kind of case.
    They are to expensive to take a chance on loss or damage.
    I use molded plugs plus muffs. I dont try to hear commands, I just watch what others do and follow suit.
    Even w/the latest and greatest electronic muff and no hearing aids I still couldnt hear well enough for conversation, and shooting w/that combination was too loud. LDS

11. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

Electronic noise dampening head sets will often conflict with hearing aids, so I remove or turn off my hearing aids at the range. Where I tend to shoot the RO has a microphone so hearing is not an issue without my H.A. in or turned on. YMMV.
    Incidentally I just learned about Auditory Processing Disorder, frequently described as an inability to make out speech in a noisy environment or when two or more people are talking at the same time. Hearing aids are of little help in restaurants, concerts, etc, but I do have a hearing loss and APD is sometimes a result of partial hearing loss, so I'm always asking wife and kids to repeat themselves, which is quite annoying to them. :(

12. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Silver $$ Contributor

Most of my loss came from over 20 years of sirens and air horns, first it was just high pitches now it is just about everything. Back ground noise is just a loud hum that is annoying as all hell. I'll try the Costco near me ( 10 min. drive) for the test and if need be the better aids.

13. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

And unfortunately are not covered by many insurance plans. It's medically necessary to have pretty teeth to eat with, but it's not medically necessary to be able to hear I guess.

14. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Take them out. I got an extra case from the audiologist that I keep in my truck and I put my H.A's in it when at the range. I use a good quality 33dB attenuation ear plug under a good muff. My muffs are noise cancelling/amplified and I can hear range commands well enough with both in place. I CANNOT afford to lose any more of my hair cells so I'm not going to take any chances with muffs/plugs alone. in the past 3 exams the Aud.D. found no further hearing loss since I have been employing plugs/muffs.

15. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

I may be in the vast minority but I leave mine in. I just turn them down to the lowest volume level and cover them with non-electronic muffs.
    I got mine in 2011 and still on the same pair. They had to be repaired by Starkey once and, about every two years, I get them professionally serviced and readjusted. New coming up soon and I plan on getting the ones that bluetooth with my phone.
    You never will hear again like the hearing God gave you. Plus, my ears ring so loud sometimes I think I hear my phone ringing.

LarryDScott and RGRobinett like this.
  16. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

To me roast beef sounds like roe speef. Always did tho, but hearing aids likely won't ever fix that. If you hear it wrong now then HAs will let you hear wrong louder.

rardoin likes this.
  17. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

Hearing aids ARE covered by many medical plans. Mine were however, I had a huge deductible that I had to meet so in essence, i paid cash but my deductible was then satisfied. The pair I have now blue tooth to my phone, and are not easily visible to bystanders. You should see the looks I get when I'm on the phone, which is in my shirt pocket. :rolleyes:

One puzzled bystander became totally shocked when I explained that i was beta testing the newest Apple phone that used telepathy instead of a bluetooth or speaker. :eek::p:p:p

riverwolf1 and RGRobinett like this.
  18. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Gold $$ Contributor

Normmatzen, site member, is a wealth of info. He might chime in.

19. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

They weren't covered by the employer plan I had at the time, but that was over 10 years ago now.

20. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I don’t wear aids at the range.

my lose of hearing is work related therefore my aids are covered and free for life, I was even awarded a tidy sum of $ for the lose.
    Last Sunday I didn’t hear the RO he just looked at me kinda odd!
    (Guy was a D..k head)
    Whatever “

Peebles24 and Texas10 like this.