Head first into precision reloading: spend my money

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by jmcmath, Oct 16, 2019.

1. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Silver $$ Contributor

Because of this my advice is put the money in a college fund for the new edition.
    Buy yourself a RCBS starter kit with rcbs match dies sets and a rcbs charge master, a couple decent measuring tools and a few good books on reloading and go from there.
    It will work well enough for a long time, I have used mine since the early 70's and did not start using custom dies until this past year, funny thing is I did not shoot any better, well maybe not so funny.
    Good luck with what ever way you decide but remember the little one comes first for a long time.

mrjdasr, Bc'z, snert and 2 others like this.
  2. jmcmath

jmcmath

Not to worry, that comes first. I am lucky enough to still be in a position to support a personal hobby.

3. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

My advice to you is to start out with quality essentials only. That is to say buy good stuff but don't buy everything in sight. Get a press, scale, dies, primer seater and start slowly adding to what you have on an as needed basis. A single stage press is the only way to go for precision reloading. If you want, you can get a turret press. Saves you from constantly changing dies but still works like a single stage. An arbor press is great for seating bullets. Never use a powder dropper for accurate reloads. They are OK for repetitious loading such as AR type rifles and casual target shooting. Like you when I decided to start reloading I had an excess of money to spend and bought a lot of things that are now collecting dust. If you find that you need something that is not at hand, shipping today is fast and right to your door. No hassles and no pain. Take your time and get very good at what you are doing.

mjl650, SPJ and jmcmath like this.
  4. jmcmath

jmcmath

thanks, I think I’ll likely be doing a lot like what you say. I just wanted to know the great but attainable equipment up front so I can do it right the first time but also scour for deals to accumulate what I need. I’ve done a lot of trading and upgrading in other hobby’s that cost me more money than buying the upper end but not insane stuff to begin with.

i don’t want to buy stuff I don’t need, but I also don’t want to skimp on something to end up wasting time and end up just buying the better item in the end.

at this point looking like I should start with, older USA rock chucker with a good sizer, a&d, arbor and seater die

dgeesaman and Nick Caprinolo like this.
  5. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

Excellent advice. My wife said it best years ago when she said " you need to concentrate more on your shooting skills than trying to reload your way to first place". She wasn't trying to be smug she was only trying to help me get to where I wanted, plus she is usually right and this time she sure was. I started subscribing to precision shooting from the beginning plus lots of other reloading publications and I can say I've sure spent a lot of money on junk that wasn't cheap that is collecting dust. It's really hard to beat a good USA RockChucker and good dies, I see them fairly cheap as the old guys are crossing over. Kits are the biggest waste of money there is in my opinion. Bad thing of it is you don't know what works or doesn't work until you give it a try, not an inexpensive process.

snert, hpshooter, dgeesaman and 2 others like this.
  6. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Buy a good scale, AD fx 120i, the trickler sold by auto trickler is very nice. Use a cheap thrower to throw under weight charges. Get a K&M arbor press and wilson dies to seat everything. Use your press to size the brass only.

7. jmcmath

jmcmath

Seems to be a pretty good consensus on the basics/where to start. Thanks everyone

8. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

The most important thing you can buy is a mentor, a drink or breakfast.
    Or buy your boat back. :)

9. power55316

power55316 Gold $$ Contributor

get the ad fx120i buy once cry once so you wont have three scales like i do alex w is spot on !!!!

10. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

After a good single stage press, good dies, scale and measuring tools, a way to clean brass, good manuals, invest in micrometer seat dies, and put the rest of your money in bullets and brass. Burn up all your factory barrels learning how to shoot in the wind. then buy good rifles, good barrels, good optics, and start over...building on the foundation you now have.

Iowa Fox and jackson1 like this.
  11. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

Wilson chamber type bullet seater dies

K&M Precision press.

jmcmath likes this.
  12. Killick

Killick Silver $$ Contributor

I presume you will be shooting in competitions. What type? PRS, F-Class, ELR, XTC? Long Range, Mid-Range, Short Range? What type of rifle do you see being your go-to comp boom stick?