Hazmat fees

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by muleman69, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Trophied

Trophied Gold $$ Contributor

A retailer that is charging a Hazmat fee has no obligation to remit any of such fee to any government agency. It is only intended to cover their cost of compliance and recording keeping (yes, that IS required in some instances), and the amount they charge is entirely up to them. I worked for a supply company that even waived any Hazmat fees to some of their bigger customers, and that is entirely legal. There is no requirement by government to collect any Hazmat fee in any amount. That's why sometimes there are retailers that will offer reduced Hazmat fees such a Ballistic Products and their $9.99 special they run at times.

tmwinds likes this.
  2. shortgrass

shortgrass

Seems like many are sure they're being ripped-off. Maybe check it out first before going nuts over it. You've got a 'puter at your finger tips!

tmwinds likes this.
  3. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

have you ever seen a hazmat plackard on a walmart truck,,

4. retired

retired

you have no clue..no past experience. your statements are based on TODAY, not how it used to be before we got screwed by the 2 companies.

1) handguns use to ship like everything else..not EXPENSIVE 2 day air. NOT a federal requirement. COMPANY requirement to make more money on individuals. (ffl seldom ship this way as other options are available to them)

2)there is no requirement that only ffl's can ship guns! pure bs, nor is the rule "any serial numbered part" it is the receiver only . an individual can ship any gun to himself, to a gunsmith for repair or to the manufacturer.
    3) the theft "story" is what UPS put out as their reason for requiring expensive air vs ground handgun shipping, which i am guessing happened before you were born.

there is no reason to go on. your OPINIONS are not based on facts that might be older than you.

5. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

Must be a TexASS reply-
    Wally's World uses contract carrier's, not dumb phuck employees to make deliveries between stores for various reasons.

Go to your local US Post Office & take a picture of the poster behind the counter with your SMART device so when asked if the contents in the package is
    FRAGILE
    LIQUID
    HAZARDOUS
    PERISHABLE
    then you won't have to stand there with the dumb founded look of a confused puppy dog.

Then read & comprehend
    The CODE of FEDERAL REGULATIONS to be totally educated.

Taildrag15X likes this.
  6. Toejoe12

Toejoe12 Silver $$ Contributor

You must take pride in seeing how many ignore lists you can get on. After reading your response to mine I looked at other posts you've made. You have nothing to offer this forum other than conflict and mis-information over and over again. Congratulations on being retired but know you are well out of touch with reality. Believe what you will. Chalk up one more ignore......congrats, you have to be leading the pack! By the way I worked for UPS from 1978 - 2003 was in Atlanta out of their corporate headquarters for my last 5 years and helped negotiate a few contracts worked directly with the DOT and FAA on a special assignment on Capital Hill in 1994. Don't tell me I have no past experience on the subject, it highlights your ignorance even more!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Mark W, LVLAaron, SS427 and 8 others like this.
  7. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

As you've read-
    Post count trumps experience on the internet.

Comrade Terry and Toejoe12 like this.
  8. retired

retired

lol nothing like supporting those you worked for, even when your facts are wrong.
    your past experience and what you posted are NOT CORRECT.
    IT IS NO WONDER WE HAVE ISSUES SHIPPING GUNS WITH CARRIERS.
    i worked for the post office...
    you should see the volume of hunting rifles we ship PERSON TO PERSON every year.
    just one more fact you got WRONG.

9. Toejoe12

Well you did it illegally unless they were borrowing it!

Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to aFederal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may thenreceive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov andhttp://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

10. retired

retired

you can ship a gun to YOURSELF.
    IT IS NOT A TRANSFER.....from me to me ,100% legal. ask any traveling hunter, or game guide.
    another simple english error on your part

again you have no clue, you only "know" what you have been told.
    you are WRONG AGAIN.
    attacking me is the first sign you know you are wrong. you cannot prove your point, so
    you change the subject and attack the poster.

11. Toejoe12

One more comment before you're the first in my ignore list.

As I sit here laughing at the thought of the USPS Executives realizing a former employee just accused them of consistently creating felonies on an open internet forum. It really doesn't get any better than that. They say ignorance is bliss. I hope so in your case.

12. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

I think or hope we are losing something in the translation. You can actually ship a rifle to the manufacturer and have it returned without going through the FFL process. BUT it has to be going to the original manufacturer. I have sent rifles to Savage Arms for work and they have returned them, and those do indeed cross State lines. Ya'll may be saying the same thing in different contexts.

retired and pirate ammo like this.
  13. walker2713

walker2713 Gold $$ Contributor

Graf's only charges a $10 hazmat fee....

14. walker2713

walker2713 Gold $$ Contributor

I'm not up for an argument on this beautiful patriotic holiday, but I remember very well in the 90's when UPS regularly shipped handgun via ground. When they changed it, it wasn't because it was the law, it was because of theft by whoever.

retired likes this.
  15. Toejoe12

Savage Arms and all MFG of firearms carry FFLs so what you are doing is fine. Actually what he is saying is the exception, shipping to someone to borrow to hunt (or yourself to hunt would fall under that portion) He is conveniently over looking portions of my comments to cover his tracks.

It is lawful to ship within the state the firearm was purchased without a FFL in some states, however no serious business does this as it is a huge risk if the person they are shipping to has a felony or a reason not to own a firearm. This "should" get highlighted through the FFL process which is why most businesses still ship to FFL holders with in the same state.

16. Toejoe12

Yes......it was actually the mid to late 80s. UPS didn't start moving air until 1985 which was only marked by blue and red stickers....no barcode. The first barcodes came with next day air then 2nd day. The 1Z barcodes came in 89 which is when the change to air only for firearms came, not for theft but for the ability to track scans instantly. Ground tracking did not come until several years later along with the Brady bill, remember that one under Clinton. That put a lot more emphasis on firearms and there was no reason to reverse course on shipments with in the general public. All decisions by big companies are not made with a cynical thought in mind to get more money out of consumers as many like to believe. This is why I replied in the first place to off set that sentiment as I DO have insight to this discussion.

walker2713 and Comrade Terry like this.
  17. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

Toejoe12, as you have witnessed, when conversing with "retired", common sense and knowledge has no standing with him. I read his post for entertainment purposes only.

SS427, Toejoe12, GAnderson and 4 others like this.
  18. Comrade Terry

Comrade Terry Gold $$ Contributor

Kinda like FGuffey's posts. Those are weird, too.

Toejoe12, GAnderson and pirate ammo like this.
  19. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

You guys may have history with him, but he's right this time. A lot of things get done, and then accepted and then crap happens and people wonder why. Know the rules first, then you can work within the rules safely. I spent a lot of years enforcing rules like these, and trust me...there isn't a single judge willing to hear anyone say 'I didn't know'. Don't like a rule or a law, get it changed. Until then do it right and stay safe.

20. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

I am fully informed on the CFR,I have probably transported more explosives than you could ever imagine,and I'm not talking about oil,fuel or acetone,,I'm talking about things that
    go really BOOM,,the only comment I was saying was packaging makes a difference.now if I have upset you that much,go suck a LEMON,,:rolleyes:

dickn52 likes this.