Hazmat fees

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by muleman69, Jul 3, 2018.

1. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Silver $$ Contributor

Who actually gets the Hazmat fees? Is it the shipping company or just another government tax? OR BOTH? Someone must be getting pretty healthy over these fees as I can not recall the last time I read about an incident cased by powder or primers? Maybe I just missed the news that day?

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

I think those lithium batteries exploding is far more common

spclark and joshb like this.
  3. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

The shipping companies. Hazmat stuff can't be hauled thru tunnels or other "sensitive" areas. The trucks need to be specially marked. The extra fuel and those signs cost money!:rolleyes::eek::eek::confused::mad:

4. muleman69

Are the batts hazmat also?

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Not sure but everytime i ship something they ask about them specifically along with “anything dangerous”

6. muleman69

So are you saying there is a special route for every box of primers? Do they still fly the stuff?

7. muleman69

Thats true,I have been ask the same thing

8. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

FedEx & UPS Haz Mat criteria is for Worldwide shipment/standards as it has to be flown across either pond.

Lower 48 Haz Mat is regulated by DOT & you have 2X the quantities allowed compared to Int'l regulations/standards.

NO Haz Mat is flown on passenger aircraft.
    If you do not declare it.....IGNORANCE is NO excuse.

(There are posters at your local Post Office if you need pictures of what is illegal/Haz Mat items)

9. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

The $27.50 per box hazmat fee goes to the carrier. It is not a tax and the govt. doesn't receive any of the fee. Having been involved in the transportation of hazardous materials I doubt very seriously if the carriers make a profit on hazmat charges.

10. dickn52

dickn52 Silver $$ Contributor

I think the fees cover everything to what, 40 lbs or so? Odd part is you can ship primers and powder in the same box.

11. retired

retired

strange...we you to ship with no additional fees.
    then the anti gun shippers found a way to gouge us.....
    guess what no haz mat fee on truck shipment( as in not ups/fedex).
    just label it correctly.
    if a round has both powder and a primer, why no hazmat fee ?
    PROFIT at the expense of reloaders.
    pretty simple

muleman69 likes this.
  12. tmwinds

I think 40 lbs is about right. Some of the regs don't make sense. This may have changed but a few years ago you couldn't ship primers by mail but you could ship primed cases with no problem.

13. tmwinds

Right, It's all a conspiracy perpetrated by the anti-gun shipping industry. Has nothing to do with the expense involved with the compliance with DOT shipping regulations.:rolleyes:

ED3, Milo 2.0 and group therapy like this.
  14. retired

retired

i think what i said was it was simply a money grab buy anti gun businesses.
    please note that when ups had high theft rates in handgun shipping BY THEIR EMPLOYEES, their fix was to raise the cost of shipping handguns. do not fix the problem, raise the cost to the gun industry....
    at the consumer level...
    you said conspiracy, not me

15. swadiver

swadiver Silver $$ Contributor

Hazmat is flown on dedicated cargo aircraft only. i flew a bunch of it around in my "freight dog" flying days

16. Toejoe12

Toejoe12 Silver $$ Contributor

This post is comical. You should not comment on things you know absolutely NOTHING about. I say that harshly as this comment is no where near accurate! Let me correct this nonsense first and I'll answer the OPs question. UPS charges by weight (and distance for ground shipments) NOT commodity. Handguns can only be shipped via air. By the way thats for both UPS and FedEx! If you shipped a 2lb package with a handgun via UPS you would pay the exact same for it if you shipped a 2lb box of candy! Only difference......handguns (and any serial # firearm part) must be shipped to or coming from a FFL holder. Thats a government requirement, not UPS! They also require an adult signature for obvious reasons. Those are the FACTS. Don't believe it, try UPS's website or just google. Not sure where you came up with your BS on the theft story garbage.

Back to the thread's purpose. UPS and all integrated small package providers operate under 49 CFR Haz mat guidelines. These are government/DOT guidelines....not the carriers. The FAA has other guidelines in addition for air transport. These are mainly for public safety. The Haz Mat fees are set by the carriers for the additional/special handling these packages require. Violation of any of the parameters set in 49 CFR carry huge fines and penalties to the carriers (and any individual who falsely ships Haz Mat unmarked) many haz mat items carry large risk to the carriers when they move them. As an example: lithium batteries was mentioned above. I know of 2 aircraft in the last 10 years that crashed due to fires started by lithium batteries. 1 was a UPS aircraft, the other FedEx. All pilots lost their lives in both. Several flights have made emergency landings due to smoke filling the cockpits from lithium batteries and other haz mat chemicals being transported. The procedures are tight around transporting any hazardous material as should be. On the ground transportation side, all drivers of vehicles have to carry on their person a list of ALL haz mat items loaded in their vehicle in the case of an accident or fire so they can give to the first responders to let them know what they are dealing with to keep everyone safe. This is just an example of 1 procedure for the ground moves. There are many more for the handling inside the facilities. The carriers could spread the cost across all shipments and raise the rates even higher than we pay now or they can charge a fee to shippers that ship haz mat. Dosent mean we have to like it but hopefully that gives you a bit of perspective behind why.

17. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Silver $$ Contributor

if you ship a 55 gal. drum of acetone its hazmat,,100 gal. of fingernail polish remover, acetone,in small bottles,in the back of a Walmart truck,NOT hazmat,,:eek:,,when I get my building sold
    and my new one up we will be checking into the program to ship hazmat,will know exactly how much,,

18. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

WOW,
    You'd best get a CLUE!

19. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Silver $$ Contributor

what did I put in wrong,wrong product,asking:confused::cool:

20. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

Shipping a 55gal drum of acetone-
    As the shipper you are responsible for any spills etc from point of origin to destination.
    The carrier/trucking company has the Haz Mat endorsed Commercial Driver w/ placarded vehicle.

Shipping a 100gal of fingernail polish remover in small bottles in the back of a Wally World truck.
    The carrier WalMart is responsible from point A to point B.
    Haz Mat endorsed Wally World driver or not,Wally has deep pockets & numerous lawyers.

My suggestion for most of the replies in this thread-
    Only ship candies & peanuts to family members.