Having a Resizing Die made

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by MGYSGT, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

Need a bushing type, full length resizing die made. Have reached out to CH4D. Are there any others that make them. RCBS is out of the special order die making business. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

2. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

Hornady, Whidden, and Jones.

3. Comrade Terry

Comrade Terry Gold $$ Contributor

+1 on Whidden.

4. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

+2

Comrade Terry likes this.
  5. gotcha

gotcha

Harrel's = 416 stainless and accepts Wilson and Redding bushings. They too do nice work at NICE price.

dogdude likes this.
  6. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

WTC (Warner Tool Company). The Crown Jewel of sizing dies.

Steelnecktie likes this.
  7. Longtrain

Longtrain

I'm sure all the makers can do the job, but FWIW, Whidden made me a 223AI die which is perfect for my needs. I just got another Whidden for my 6BR, again perfect.

8. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

WarnerTool is the crown royal. I have one in PPC, but it will not fit you conventional press and they are $598. None can touch the quality of them.

JRS and nmkid like this.
  9. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Whidden is in the process right now of building one for my "20" TCM Wildcat.:D
    I like their V Blocks enough that I though I'd give them a try.;)

10. PatMiles

PatMiles Silver $$ Contributor

I'm going to have Whidden make a custom sizer. Bushing or non-bushing for the neck portion. I've read that the non-bushing dies yield the best concentricity results. I am skim turning the necks after using a Porter neck sizing mandrel die first on new brass.

NorCalMikie likes this.
  11. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Silver $$ Contributor

I was planning to make another post about how pleased I am with my custom Whidden die set but I'll start here
    I shoot short range BR 6ppc and have used a Harrell sizing die and a Wilson sweater that I made with my reamer. I've never been able to get less than .0015 run out on a loaded round checked with a 21st century tool
    I sent unsized cases and a loaded round to Whidden and I'm very pleased for $275 or there about I have a sizer that sizes the base like I wanted non bushing and a seater that is producing about .0007 of run out on a loaded round.
    I am happy happy with my Whidden

12. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

There may be another option. In the past, for calibers where a source of fired brass existed, we have bought ordinary, one piece FL dies, sized the fired brass with no expander, and measured the sized case. Using that information a tight neck reamer was designed and case neck thickness determined. Clearance of the loaded round in the chamber were controlled with the specifications of the reamer. It worked very well. Both cases and loaded ammo were very straight. For example, Hornady's least expensive 6PPC FL die is one piece. It has a neck ID of .258. With a case sized in that die, bullet dimensions, the desired neck tension (difference in diameters) and round to chamber neck and body clearances, designing a reamer is easy. Another thing to remember is that very slight neck expansion seems to do little damage to concentricity, so you can play with neck tension a little that way.

joshb and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  13. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I've heard of the Warner dies but have never seen one, that I'm aware of.

For years now, I've made a practice of spec'ing my reamers around off the shelf Redding Type S full length bushing dies. I've made a few dies and spent time working in that trade, years ago. I simply find having the reamer ground to work well with a specific die just makes a lot of sense, so long as it doesn't mean that I have to compromise critical chamber dimensions...namely, the relationship between the chamber and virgin brass. But, brass is just like a woman...it's only virgin for one pop. As long as the chamber isn't too big, to the point of causing significant growth in the web and primer pocket areas, I don't see what all the rage is in regard to custom dies for sizing rifle brass. Most of the necessity is due to custom chambers that are, IMHO, too small. I think this is an area where we have outhought ourselves, frankly, as I've never seen anything but problems come from a chamber that is too small...hence the need for custom sized sizing dies, for example.

My general requirements for a sizing die for PPC/BR cases is to produce a straight case with the resultant brass to be sized to approximately .0015" smaller at the shoulder and .0005-.0006" smaller at the base, than my fired brass. This seems to be very near the "industry standard" for custom dies as well.

That said, I have to ask...What makes a sizing die worth $600?

14. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

"That said, I have to ask...What makes a sizing die worth $600?"

Having JRS give such a glowing endorsement? Just Sayin'.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  15. JRS

What makes a custom rifle action worth $1300.00, or more? Or a GT-2 RS worth $294,000.00? Engineering, craftsmanship, quality of components and fit & finish.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    mikea5232 likes this.
  16. Eddie Harren

"What makes a custom rifle action worth $1300.00, or more? Or a GT-2 RS worth $294,000.00?"

That's easy. Your glowing endorsement. What else could it be?

Comrade Terry likes this.
  17. ireload2

ireload2

Not really. There is not that much engineering. There is a lack of economies of scale with limited production items.
    You are not able to smear the engineering costs over a large number of production units.
    A lot of people talk about manufacturing without considering the volume. Build just one of your hot shot cars and it might cost $250 million in engineering costs alone to build that one car. Build 2 million of them and they will get much much cheaper when the $250 million in engineering costs is divided by 2 million units. That leaves your engineering costs that you are bragging about to be $125 per car.

18. JRS

Engineering is only part of the cost.

www.6mmbr.com/warnerdie.html

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  19. Eddie Harren

I'm afraid you are wasting your time debating this with a highly trained engineer like JRS.

'Freak likes this.
  20. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor