has anyone here hosted a private land wounded warrior deer hunt

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by chop house, Feb 4, 2019.

1. chop house

chop house

curious as to how well it went, what are the concerns, etc. thinking of possibly hosting on my deer lease next season, very limited, archery, low key event. thoughts? experiences?

300_whisper likes this.
  2. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0

I have friends involved in WW hunts, not from the landowner standpoint, but support(guides-rides-general help).
    When you do good, which sounds like you are about to, even if it does not go as exactly as you would like it to, in the end, you still did good. They appreciate it, you may make friends, I don't see how you can lose.
    Good luck!
    Edit: Today it seems it's rare we can make a difference, you have the chance.

3. 300_whisper

300_whisper Gold $$ Contributor

I have friends who are wounded. Just being around them, I think your biggest consideration is access to the hunting spots. How would you get them there, make sure they are comfortable (like ground blinds), assistance in setting up gear, taking shots, tracking. I think if you found people who would be on the hunt with them, and have some knowledge on their medical needs, then it should be a successful trip.

chop house, Lone Hunter and Milo 2.0 like this.
  4. hammerjack

hammerjack Gold $$ Contributor

hogpatrol and chop house like this.
  5. Mike Casselton

Mike Casselton

Depending on what state you're located in, there may already be programs set up.
    It could be as simple as connecting with the people in your state and volunteering the lands for hunting.
    Where are you located?

chop house and Milo 2.0 like this.
  6. chop house

chop house

thanks for the tips and possible direction, all. i realized we take a lot for granted. i have 3 food plots that (somewhat obviously) have tractor, sxs, atv, and 4wd access, however the possible need to get van access didn't occur to me.

i had already assumed i would be setting up 2 ground blinds at each, to account for am/pm and/or wind. However, i forgot the actual blind site also needs access. and, i knew i would need to enlist 3 guides/aides/trackers i could trust to have the right attitude and temperment.

thanks again.

300_whisper likes this.
  7. dsandfort

dsandfort Silver $$ Contributor

Chop House.
    Don't know where you are or where the hunt might take place. I'm in Colorado and if not too far, I volunteer to do anything you need (except lift heavy things). Spot, track, drive, cook, tell stupid hunting stories, etc. I have a largeish wall tent that could work for a cook/break/BS shack.
    Del

8. Toddmack

Toddmack

I ate supper with a guy in NW KS last week that does something like this for the last few years. It wasn't through WW but was a locally organized through a local organization https://www.nortoncountyhonorhunt.com/.
    In Kansas you can get a disabled tag and hunt from a vehicle, which is the route I believe all these hunts are done. Good thing too, I hate sitting in blinds and in this area it would just make a person insane.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

9. Prose

Prose

Hometown heroes outdoors is getting pretty popular in mn and nd

10. M14AMU

M14AMU

I sent those folks (WW) and email requesting what percentage of a dollar actually went to a Wounded Warrior??

I never got a reply back!!

11. Toddmack

Toddmack

I'm not sure on the WW percentage but with all the TV and radio ads it can't be great. When an organization gets that big, surely there are too many mouths to feed and ads to be bought. No ill will towards them and I may be way off base here, but sometimes a great idea gets too big.

12. Toddmack

Toddmack

If this is strictly about hunting I would think the smaller organizations probably do a better job of getting vets back into hunting. The link i posted earlier in this thread only requires that the disabled vet can get him/herself to and from where the hunt is. It's my understanding that the tags, transportation, meals and processing are all taken care of. I may be wrong, but that's the way I understood it.

13. Mikemci

Mikemci

Last figures I read was that only 10% went to the families, 90% to the organization. Pitiful!!

14. Sniper338

Sniper338

Funny you mention this.

I am huge into hunting... my life dream has been to own a ranch of my own and be able to do wounded warrior hunts and hunts for children with disabilities or life threatening diseases. We currently are living in an RV saving money for a down payment for when we move back closer to family to buy a ranch of our own to do these type hunts, lodge people, manage myself, and live on..