Hart prototype 5 groove?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Raythemanroe, Jul 13, 2017.

1. GerryM

GerryM

sorry about getting back on this Butch I have no idea why they last longer I only know that mine do.
    For some reason the throats don't wear out as fast on the ones I had over the years/ Of course I clean them often and very well.

2. Tim s

Tim s

Nobody's mad RayRay, the conversation was, I thought, about short ange benchrest barrels.

3. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

When I called to speak with them about the new button design I asked if it was a 5r. The reply was eeehhhh... kind of not really. I agree with that. 10 degrees more slope than their conventional. Definitely not what I am used to seeing with other "5r" barrels. It was explained to me that this is the new 5 groove design, nothing was said about different angles on different twists. Actually the whole discussion took place before I even told him the twist I wanted. And the initial question was asked by Ray, a 1k BR shooter. Dont think he cares about 14 twists. I will believe what the man who designed the button told me, that blows my skirt up.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    JBT and Raythemanroe like this.
  4. Alex Wheeler

Thats the inch I cut off the new blank. You should be able to see one of the reasons you want to cut off that last bit of muzzle. The Lapped finish is rough there, as well as the enlargement/out of round you probably would have measured.

5. Alex Wheeler

Aside from all that, I like the looks of the barrel. I will slug it at some point and chamber it in a BRA. Either it will go on my LG or @Toms LG if he wants to try it.

6. g.ross

g.ross

How about a PRS gun to try it on .lol

7. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Put it on yours and get back to shooting. If it's a hummer I'll trade you one night while you sleep!

Tom

8. Alex Wheeler

A prs gun? No way! LOL

9. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Still confused Timmy. All the barrel makers I know use 416R. Sulfur is added for machine ability. Yes, the barrel makers have to adjust to ea lot of steel. Now why do some last longer?

Raythemanroe likes this.
  10. Alex Wheeler

I have been told by a button maker that the button work hardens the surface of the bore and that contributes to life. I dont know how much of that is true or salesmanship. Personally I dont care I want the ones that shoot the best. Cant remember the last time someone bragged about how long their barrel shot average groups for. :)

butchlambert likes this.
  11. butchlambert

Now the big question, What does the "r" in 5r mean. I know 5 is the amount of lands and grooves, what does the r mean. Not canted lands as several mfgs do canted and they are not "r" barrels.

12. Tim s

Tim s

Well you better get out more because several still use straight 416 and for a while several sourced stuff from Germany, Italy, etc that was somewhere between 416 & 416R.

13. butchlambert

Timmy, The source of your info please? Not what your buddy told you at the range.

14. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Russian.

15. Tim s

Tim s

The source of my info is personal experience there BL, both CF and in particular RF barrels, which I personally own, owned, have shot, some of which, I suspect, you never heard of.
    Like I said, even 416R, from different lots, and/or different sources, varies widely.
    I can tell you more Butch, but I'm gonna have to charge you for lessons.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  16. Tim s

Tim s

Ratchet

17. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

The original design (5R - Russian) was slightly modified by Boots Obermeyer, then modified once again by Broughton. Boots Obermeyer was the first to use the design in the U.S. Broughton modified it to use the angle on only the driving side of the lands.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  18. dogdude

dogdude Egan O'Brien Gold $$ Contributor

Ramped

19. butchlambert

Kid, you have a long way to go before giving lessons. I asked a question and you haven't answered it.

Tim s likes this.
  20. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Yes Boots Obermeyer was the one that started the 5R, and I have one on my HG. its 1.45, 36'' and if I ever get another good day, its going to hammer!
    And R does stand for Russian. My god Trump will probably get in trouble over this also. A little funny HaHa

Joe Salt

wholman, msinc and Hoodoo like this.