Handguns 95% Effective ln Bear Attacks

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by sw282, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Laurie

Laurie

................ and I'm a 100% through and through certified coward! Get me to walk into the middle of a herd of hundreds of elephants and shoot the biggest, meanest, fiercest male with huge tusks, then as it falls do it again, and again, and again to others before the herd panics and stampedes (possibly over me)? Not for all the tea in China as my mother used to say.

284winner likes this.
  2. Laurie

Laurie

I think all these widely traveling wealthy guys of that era were 7X57 fans. And quite right too! (I own two South American military 7X57 Mausers, amazing rifles and cartridge, always been one of my favourites.)

284winner likes this.
  3. Park ranger

Park ranger

Funny, I’ve shot black bears with rubber slugs. One even had cubs with her. She gather cubs an ran out of the campground. Black bears and grizzlies are two very different things. Really, a 9 would be fine in Black Bear county because they will scare off easily. However, I’ll admit I prefer walking the dog with the 45 colt loaded with 325 grain hard cast at 1100 fps.

Laurie likes this.
  4. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

They seem to be happening more and more. Every year this happens, usually multiple times local to me. I cant remember the last time I read that the bear was shot and killed stopping the bear. The bear always seems to win. There was one a few years ago that a guy was able to get off one shot from his 300 weatherby. He hit the bear in the face, but didnt even have time to cycle the bolt before the bear took his face off. The bear later died and the guy was air flighted to Wa. I never heard if he lived. Thats the only one I remember being shot. Usually the guy doesnt have time to get his gun or its tossed away and he cant get to it.
    http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases...mFJxb5rjzSFxNUByM-Vr-8LYWJu2eZ7DHWbQjmy3mQFX8

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  5. Bocephus

Bocephus

Worth a few minutes:
    https://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=A6jki&m=fz7go2MoceYcSkU&b=NUPuUqgLYxgSMafyZMhP1g

6. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

I don’t walk around in bear territory for the same reason I don’t swim in the ocean. I prefer to be on TOP of the food chain, not just IN it.

100% effective

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    284winner and Laurie like this.
  7. cmillard

cmillard

Ha. I will roam in the mountains before I will roam the streets of Chicago. To be honest, when I go out west, I worry more about mountain lions than bear.

284winner likes this.
  8. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

Not a bear fan...Chicago or otherwise.

284winner likes this.
  9. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

If you ever encounter a Lion in Chicago, it'll be a Detroit Lion and they are no threat either. Especially not to the Chicago Bears.

10. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I’m pretty sure that Bear is gonna be coming from behind you or from the up wind side, you better be Damn fast thinkin & shootin cause the SOB is on you quick like food.

284winner likes this.
  11. sw282

sw282

Lead spray is the ONLY bear spray

284winner and cmillard like this.