Had a first yesterday, reamer broke during chambering.

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by Rustystud, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Rustystud

Rustystud Site $$ Sponsor

I was chambering a 6.5/300 Weatherby with a "bore rider reamer", and no the bore rider did not break, a flute broke at the shoulder for the entire length of the flute. There was 35psi of flush running and the lathe was turning 105 RPMS. The feed was light. Examination of the reamer shows what looks like a preexisting crack. The flutes were incredibly thin. It was the Customer's reamer and he sent it back this a.m. Knowing the reamer maker, he will most likely tell the customer to pound sand vs replacing it as a warranty defect.

2. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Wow! A barrel burner at birth!:mad:

Prose and mac86951 like this.
  3. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

I think he will replace it without any problem . Especially if he knows you were the person who was using it . Larry

4. X Ring Accuracy

X Ring Accuracy Site $$ Sponsor

That's tough. Had one break before. Maker replaced it no questions, worst part was having to wait for the replacement. On inspection of the reamer (for what little I know of metallurgy) looked as if there was a minute crack where it started.

5. ngb1787

ngb1787 Silver $$ Contributor

Can I guess who the reamer maker was?

6. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

I hope this doesn't turn into what it looks like it's turning into.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USA!

7. Keith Kilby

Keith Kilby

Only one I ever had break showed signs of pre-existing cracks...3 flutes at the shoulder/body juncture fell off the instant they started cutting. Reamer was replaced with no fighting, from what I suspect from how a previous post was worded, the same manufacturer....there are positive stories

8. Someoldguy

Someoldguy

Please keep us posted on how this incident turns out.

9. kendog

kendog

I have a JGS 243 finisher that this happened to before I acquired it. Now it is a 5 flute rougher.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  10. skeetlee

skeetlee Lee Gardner Precision Silver $$ Contributor

i had a 30br reamer brake once. i think i was chambering the third barrel i had ever done. im not sure why the flute broke but i would bet it was my fault. ptg replaced the reamer no questions asked. lee

11. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I had a .284 reamer brake off a flute a while ago. It was PTG reamer. They replaced it in a timely manner. This was before they decided to try and take over the world.:D:D:rolleyes:

Paul

www.boltfluting.com

tbeasley and carlsbad like this.
  12. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

I assume the barrel is OK? The shards didn't gouge the chamber in a manner that won't clean up?

13. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

thats what i was wondering.

14. Rustystud

As for a Barrel burner the customer said he had about 500 rounds through the first barrel. As for the second barrel I quit before any damage was done to the chamber. I also have about .750" to go so it should clean up without any problems.

15. Will Henry

Will Henry

Anyone who chambers a lot of barrels and buys a lot of reamers will eventually have one break. Good reamer makers will admit if the reamer is at fault and help with technique where it is not. WH

16. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

OP , did the reamer maker take care of the customer ?

17. Rustystud

The customer sent the reamer back to the Manufacture. The Manufacture did replace the reamer. I finished the chamber with the second reamer without incident.

savagedasher likes this.
  18. Jayson

Jayson

Had the same thing happen last week with a .284. Called the manufacture and they said no prob, a replacement is on the way.