H4895 in 223?

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by MildBill, Jun 27, 2012.

1. MildBill

MildBill

Being still very new to metallic reloading I hope not to offend anyone with what may appear to be silly questions.

I have been reloading my 223 using benchmark and 8208xbr.

I have observed that these two powders appear to leave quite a bit less carbon residue in the barrel, based on the color of the patches, when I clean the gun compared to whatever Black Hills and Ultramax put in their re-manufactured stuff, which shoots quite good for me.

I am looking into trying H4895 in my 223 as well and was curious as to what people have found residue and performance wise with it compared to benchmark and 8208xbr.

I am mainly shooting 50 grain bullets, also have some 55's, 60's and some 53 grain v-max I am looking to try.

Thanks!!!

2. fredhorace77

fredhorace77 Site $$ Contributor

H4895 is an awesome powder as the ones u r using already. One thing i learned over 20yrs. of reloading...if u find a powder that is shooting good groups and getting good velocity and cleans easily dont burn ur barrel out looking for something you've already found. Load it up and go hunting

3. Scotsman1

Scotsman1 Site $$ Contributor

4895's are good powders, but as the other fella said, you're shooting good stuff now.
    It is inevitable that we all (shooters) constantly search for something new, but one finally has to just "dance with who brung ya".

P.S. If carbon and fowling are an issue for you, there is a new powder out by Hodgden called CFE223.
    From what I'm told, it's the cleanest by far.

Cheers,
    Scotsman1

4. MildBill

MildBill

thanks for the replies.

I am not looking for anything cleaner than benchmark or 8208xbr, just not really looking for something really dirty.

5. moorepower

moorepower Site $$ Contributor

H4895 is my first choice for the heavier bullets.

6. Bradley Walker

Bradley Walker

It appears that H4895 and X8208 are very, very similar.

7. mr45man

mr45man Site $$ Contributor

Yes but 8208 measures a lot better

8. Bradley Walker

Bradley Walker

Oh yes, it's good stuff. Looks like H322.

9. jhord

jhord Site $$ Contributor

If you are happy with Benchmark and/or 8208 there's not much reason to try anything else. BM is by far the cleanest burning powder I've tried in the .223, bolt or black rifle. I have messed around with CFE223 and it appears to be just as clean burning, and with the anti-copper fouling properties, also has great potential. Tentatively my plan is to switch my AR over to CFE223 after Camp Perry. (from RL15, which is filthy)

10. wapiti25

wapiti25 Site $$ Contributor

I use IMR 4895 in a bolt 223 with 55gr bullets but it is dirty. I use it because I have good supply that i bought in the late 80's, I have tried Bencmark and would use it if I had to go buy new powder. My load is 27 gr with the Wolf/Tula primer. This is above the published load so work up to it in your gun. It also is a fire formed case, neck sized and it is full but shoots very good at 300yds.

11. MildBill

MildBill

after a little hands on investigation I am sticking with benchmark

12. robbor

robbor

I see that 4895 produces high velocities with heavy bullets, im wondering if it will also do well with normal 50gr bullets and longer barrels? im planning on a 28" 222 rem and i have 5 lbs of powder laying around

13. K22

K22

If you like to experiment then try it. The 223 works well with a wide variety of powders and in my experience is quite easy to reload.

I've used Benchmark and it works quite well especially with 50 grain bullets. It's the "best accuracy load" stated in the Nosler Manual for 50 grain bullets. I use it in my shorter barrel 223's (22" and under).

If you're like me, once I get something that works, I stick with it. I really don't enjoy testing loads - I know some guys love it and more power to them. I'd rather be hunting groundhogs or coyotes or practicing shooting off my sticks honing my shooting skills. (I hate shooting off the bench - I can't take in the field with me :mad:)

H4895 is a proven performer in the 223 as well as H335, H322, and IMR 4895.

I currently use Varget in my longer barrel varmint rifles (24" and above) because it works quite well in all of them and is clean burner and seems to be somewhat temperature tolerant. I get very consistant results with Varget.

However I don't think you can go wrong with either Benchmark or H4895.

14. nastynatesfish

nastynatesfish A day which we will live in infamy Site $$ Contributor

Try some Ramshot TAC