Gun vice stand idea

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by martini1, Apr 14, 2019 at 4:54 PM.

1. martini1

martini1

Ok i have very limited space and need a few ideas on a stand to old my gun vice when cleaning. I plan on just using a Tipton best gun vice bolted to a plank of wood ( i do not have space on my workbench to clean my rifles). Now for the stand i was wondering what i could use that would be compact and easy to fold up.

Anyone ever use a Rockwell jaw horse or Rockwell jawStand? the Jawstand is the smaller of the two and it would work out better if it was sturdy (i have never seen one in person).

thoughts?

2. K22

K22

Perhaps this might work on your limited space work bench - I clamp the rifle barrel to a conventional work bench vice* using two pieces of wood between the jaws of the vice to prevent damaging the barrel. This takes up no room on the bench and provides an extremely secure method to hold the rifle while cleaning it - been using this system for almost 50 years.

*vice is mounted on top of the bench at one end like most work bench vices.

jbarnwell likes this.
  3. Dos XX

Dos XX Bystanders Should Also Wear Safety Goggles Gold $$ Contributor

4. terrace

terrace Silver $$ Contributor

Might double as a portable shooting bench too

Mark W likes this.
  5. Mikemontminy

Mikemontminy

E9D58623-7589-4E1F-8D0B-52C17473A1A7.jpeg If you have a vice on your bench perhaps you could do something like this. Mounted a piece of angle to the bottom of my homemade gun cradle. Doesn’t Tate up bench space and very secure.

Daddymac, joshb and SPJ like this.
  6. ebb

ebb

A customer has a jaw horse they are tough, you will not even come close to hurting one cleaning rifles.

7. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

If you have a front rest for the range, or even a bipod, they will work with a rear bag, pretty stable but not locked down by any means. I usually clean rifles at the range on the bench, using a BE front rest and the rear bag so I won't have to clean off my work bench.