Gun rules for 22 competition?

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Targetbanger, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Targetbanger

Targetbanger

Are there any gun restrictions on a 22lr? I'd hate to spend a lot of money on one and not be able to use if if I wanted to enter a competition.

2. rmist

rmist

It depends on what you want to shoot!!

3. Targetbanger

Targetbanger

I have no idea.. I've seen videos of people shooting precision tagets
    I guess the NRL22 when it comes to my range

4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Well the main thing to watch is probably weight restrictions. Check the rules for any type of comp you may try and make sure it is light enough to enter those types of events. Check barrel lengths as well...

5. ebb

ebb

Pick the type of competition and match the gun to it, not the other way around. They all have different rules, no one gun does it all.

6. Dryfly24

Dryfly24 Silver $$ Contributor

What exactly do you mean by restrictions? Are you talking about match rules? In which case it would depend on the type of match - as was already pointed out. Are you talking about legal restrictions? Which would depend on your local or state laws?

Your question is pretty much impossible to answer without more information about what it is exactly you’re asking...

Toms likes this.
  7. squint-n-squeeze

squint-n-squeeze

Yes - 10lb 2oz for standard class, 8 1/2lb for hunter class. I'm talking about smallbore silhouette, of course. The best and most fun 22lr competition out there! It's shot entirely offhand, and you get the instant gratification of falling steel. It's like a massive carnival game with scope adjustments.

Find out more at http://steelchickens.com/forums/

8. squint-n-squeeze

squint-n-squeeze

Oh and most people like the CZ 452 / 455 / 457 American model for a starter rifle, and I hear the Tikka T1x is good too. If you don't mind splashing out, the Anschutz 1712 is really nice with a factory 2-stage trigger. It's hard to get much better than that. All these can be used for any other 22 competition that might come up, as well.

9. Dryfly24

Dryfly24 Silver $$ Contributor

Not necessarily. Rules for local matches vary wildly. Some will allow almost anything and others go strictly by whatever rules they make up to suit their own needs. It depends on the match.

Topstrap likes this.
  10. Targetbanger

Targetbanger

Thanks, this is the kind of information I was interested in reading about.

11. kzin

kzin

Take a look at international smallbore 3-position rifles and high end benchrest rifles.

The restrictions in other disciplines and classes are so you don't have to pay for and haul them around.
    Usually weight limits, stock type and adjustability, iron sights only or scope power limitations, trigger weight and whatever else keeps the rifles more practical ,standard and affordable.
    Also limits on peripheral equipment like rests and coats.

Among the most restrictive would be CMP Sporter Rifle and New York SporteRifle which is a regional discipline based on NRA light rifle offhand.

Targetbanger likes this.
  12. Hoser

Hoser

The NRL has a site with a rulebook. https://nrl22.org

Essentially, your Vudoo is good to go.

Targetbanger likes this.
  13. Sundown

Sundown Gold $$ Contributor

Contact "MrsShootingThing" This site for info

14. Bigdaddy405

Bigdaddy405

Nrl22 has an open class, skies the limit. few guys got over $7000 into rifle & scope.

15. Rem72043722

Rem72043722

As mentioned, check out "Mrs Shooting Thing" on RFC. She runs(along with her husband) an organization known as ABRA. Originally for semi auto 10/22 style rifles, but now includes two classes for bolt rifles. Check out the organization and rules at ABRA.guru.com. Great fun with the semi-auto rifles and good competition. Best advice given was for you to select a type of competition and make your purchase according to the discipline guidelines.

USMCDOC likes this.
  16. USMCDOC

USMCDOC

your link is incorrect

abra.guru