Gun Broker . Com

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by New Gun, Dec 24, 2017.

1. rijndael

rijndael

I had a similar experience with a recent rifle purchase. I wanted a specific SN prefix (Remington), and I search long and hard for it. I finally found one and made the purchase. It turns out the seller has been reusing pictures and I got a current RR prefix. I was less than thrilled but opted not to send it back because of the transfer and shipping fees.

2. Hydenseek

Hydenseek Silver $$ Contributor

I was scammed on gunbroker by a seller who had sold 35 previous items out for 550$ on a leupold scope. After about 4 months of getting the run-around and filling out paperwork etc., I chalked it up to the game.

3. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

True words right there.

4. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

When I tried to register on GB it gave me an error message that my name and address couldn’t be be verified. They wanted me to email a copy of my drivers license and a utility bill. Having already given an uncomfortable amount of personal information, I told them to pound sand.

Has anyone had that experience or am I just special......lol

Howland, hrlincoln and Dgd6mm like this.
  5. perry42

perry42

I have had excellent results with buys from GB and on this site, Call me lucky and satisfied.

perry42

6. 6.5creed

6.5creed Silver $$ Contributor

Same deal here. I tried to re register this weekend and they claim I owe them late fees and a verification fee. Whatever, I'm not paying to play their game.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  7. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

I emailed their customer service and found out that my issue was caused by the security lock that I have on my info at the credit reporting agencies. If I knew they were doing those kind of checks it would have saved us both some trouble because I never would have tried to register with the site.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  8. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

I've had mostly positive experiences when using GB, but...

Be cautious of sellers (even ones who have good feedback) who do not provide pictures of the actual firearm you are bidding on. I got burned that way. I was the winning bidder on a brand new TC Icon being sold by a gun shop. When the gun got to my FFL, it was not the gun that was pictured in the auction. There were obvious handling marks on the stock, the bluing showed some pitting most likely from being handled repeatedly then never wiped down. This thing was pretty beat up and looked used. It certainly wasn't the gun pictured in the auction.

I contacted the seller and he was quite rude and told me "we are like a gun whore house and don't have the time to take pictures of the exact item being sold". I pressed the issue and came to find out that is was his common practice when selling multiple firearms of the same brand and type to pull one from the box and use it for the photos for every auction. This is a very dishonest way to do business, so just be forewarned. In the end, the guy made it right but it took a lot of arm twisting on my part and biting my tongue when speaking to the miserable SOB on the other end of the phone who had the personality of a badger having a bad day.

In the pet peeve department, I always get a kick out of these sellers who advertise the auctions as "no reserve", yet the starting price is the price one would expect to pay for a new gun. Ummm...hello...that is a reserve. Don't even bother to hold an auction if your starting price is the actual price. Just call it "buy it now" and be done with it.

In the old days of GB, there were quite a few true penny auctions but those are more and more rare. Some excellent auctions can still be found but you have to look harder. I'd rather buy here on Accurate Shooter from guys who aren't in the business of being in business.

hogpatrol and New Gun like this.
  9. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Hmmm. They must have started doing that after I registered years ago. But in my opinion running credit checks is a good move, what with all the sophisticated scammers and identity thieves on the Internet. I, too, have placed locks on my accounts at all three credit reporting agencies, and I'm sure it will be a PITA to deal with situations like yours when opening new accounts. But I just discovered through Experian that someone had (before I placed blocks) opened a Sprint account in my name, using a phony "drop box" address, and ran up an $1800 tab which now appears as a collection demerit on my credit report. Experian was very helpful, but now I must file a police report, get a copy, and deal directly with Sprint to resolve the credit dispute.

Bottom line is I'm happy GunBroker is running credit checks on new registrants, but unhappy that they find it necessary, through no fault of their own.
    -

New Gun and joshb like this.
  10. 6.5creed

I emailed them also. Couldn't log in until I paid my "past due verification fee & late charges" but couldn't get anyone to even tell me how much that was. I was told via email to "log in" to get my account caught up. Vicious circle so I said screw it. I know two FFL's that can handle any gun broker business for me I don't need the run around.

Dgd6mm and New Gun like this.
  11. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Man, do you have that right! A half dozen years back I was perusing gunbroker and found a custom 6BR with a low opening bid. I put in the first bid figuring I'd be quickly outbid. WRONG, I was the only bidder! Long story short, that rifle eventually cost me more money than I care to remember.:(

12. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

Back in 2000-01, on a Sat night in a drunken stupor bumped the bids past the reserve on a Rem Euro 11-96, the mother lode of all POS shotguns. Not knowing so, around Wed I finally got an email about contacting seller, whoa, I paid, gave the gun to a high school kid. Did I learn, yes on price bumping, big fat no on the drinking, lol

Just Dave, spife7980, New Gun and 2 others like this.
  13. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Yup!:oops: I bought a couple guns after I had "a little too much". Mine were good ones, tho.:D I quit drinking, anyway. It got too expensive!:eek:

22BRGUY likes this.
  14. New Gun

New Gun Gold $$ Contributor

joshb , Yeah I have been there myself. Powder and Bullets always look cheaper to me after I have a few. Must control myself on Gun Broker.com . I see the majority have had a good experience with the site anything on line I try to be careful.

15. hrlincoln

hrlincoln

No, you're not special:D. Just had the same experience last night when I tried to register:mad:...didn't email them any more info either. Strange thing is, I can log in but I can't do anything...like check my info for mistake/typoo_O.

16. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Signed up years ago and all they needed was a credit card and your address. Requirements have really gotten more onerous.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  17. spitfire_er

spitfire_er Gold $$ Contributor

I signed up several years back and it was a CC and address if I recall. I've bought and sold several larger ticket items on GB and never had a problem. I think my feedback is around 50 or so. I always have been sure to study the photos very well and ask any questions that may be pertinent to the condition of the item. Sounds like they have stepped their security game up since I signed up.

New Gun likes this.
  18. ragsflh

ragsflh Silver $$ Contributor

i have bought several guns on gubbroker.ask questions,see there feedback,etc.there is always a few bad ones that ruin it for all.ebay was that way for years ,now they have got red od most of them

19. 6.5creed

This is basically the reason the claim I owe them late fees on email/address verification.

20. fa38

fa38 Silver $$ Contributor

<<<<<jimmymac
    In the pet peeve department, I always get a kick out of these sellers who advertise the auctions as "no reserve", yet the starting price is the price one would expect to pay for a new gun. Ummm...hello...that is a reserve. Don't even bother to hold an auction if your starting price is the actual price. Just call it "buy it now" and be done with it.>>>>

I was told that GB charges a extra listing fee for listing with a reserve for a gun and does not charge that extra fee for listing when listing a starting price for a gun.

New Gun likes this.