Great hunt with my son!

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by FryeGuy, Dec 10, 2016.

1. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

I took my 6yr old son hunting this morning with some friends to do a doe drive. He has only hunted once so far this year, and I wanted him to see some deer for once. First two deer by were both nice 8ptrs, which we couldn't shoot since there are no more bucks this year for me on this property. They kept looking down the mountain and behind them. Just assumed it was does or something coming thru. Finally saw movement and they hauled freight, I moved into position to shoot a doe, and this guy steps out. I told him it was a bear, and it finally moved enough to get a shot. So my first ever bear, and my boy was there with me. His excitement was very interesting to take in. Funny thing is he told me we're going to see a bear, he knew it was around. Sure enough an hour later we did. It's not the biggest bear, but I don't care, and I hope I don't have to drag another bear out of that ravine ever again! Used a Sako finnlight in 6.5x55. It was about a 125 yd shot in the woods. The sierra 130hpbt did a great job. Passed thru, and bear went less than 20yds. The crazy death moan was a little freaky, my son got a little bit nervous about it

Attached Files:

WyleWD and 370bc like this.
  2. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

another pic once we got it to a trail. It's amazing how much talking a buck 20yds away will put up with when it's distracted. My son was going crazy seeing it. I couldn't get him quiet to save the world

Attached Files:

WyleWD likes this.
  3. ARW

ARW

Very nice. A hunt both you and your son will always remember.

Congratulations to both of you!

Alan

4. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERSE 15 Silver $$ Contributor

CHERISH THE MOMENTS THAT LAST A LIFE TIMES GREAT JOB !!!!!!!!

5. 370bc

370bc Silver $$ Contributor

Great job Dad! Great Family Times!

6. dedogs

dedogs Gold $$ Contributor

GREAT JOB! The smile on your son's face says it all. dedogs

WyleWD likes this.
  7. Catfish

Catfish

My son got his only deer when he was 8 yrs. old with a 357 mag. revolver. We got his picture in the paper with it. He is now 36 and does`t hunt any more, but it is still one of the fondest memories of both of us. 30 years from now he will not remember much he did at 6 yrs. old, but this will be the big one.

8. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Sure looks like a nice bear to me. Any bear is a good bear. That's my opinion. Did not know VA had bears. You killed a bear while sitting or walking for deer and not on a bear bait. IMO that alone is very exciting. Michigan at one time had over the counter bear tags we could buy and use during deer season if a hunter saw a bear. The season was fairly liberal but also dogs or bait could be used from Sept thru November. It's almost impossible to hunt bears here by any other means than dogs or bait. A chance encounter happens but usually in a park or at night. That bear you harvested is a trophy JUST because you and your son encountered it and harvested it together. Next time, your son will be the trigger man. He's hooked. Bears (black) are very easy to anchor. That death moan is Erie especially to a young boy. It's the tell tale that your bear is down for good and ready to tag. Congratulations on a great hunt.

9. deepwater

deepwater Silver $$ Contributor

Wonderful story, and your son's premonition/wish and reaction with the outcome is charming.

10. Phil

Phil

Great Memories,

Congratulations........

11. savagedasher

savagedasher

Congratulations great memories last for ever
    Nothing is better then those you do with family. Larry

12. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

What a great experience. I'm glad you were rewarded for your time, effort and willingness to take your son!

13. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Great job Dad. A once in a life time ! I hope not.

boogershooter likes this.
  14. boogershooter

boogershooter Silver $$ Contributor

Warms the heart.

15. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

Thanks for all the kind words! Oh he has big plans now. He wants to hang it on the wall like a deer (shoulder mount), then keep the rest of the fur to hang on his wall. He also wants to shoot one of his own, and a deer. I thought about a full mount, but I think with the price I would rather do shoulder mount and buy him another gun & scope!!