Granite/Quartz scale base question

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by nmkid, Sep 25, 2018.

1. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Well dang it. Neighbor came over this morning to borrow a couple of tools. He was installing rotors and pads on all four corners of his truck. So...I forgot all about the granite and I went to help, (get in the way). Finished up and then we went for some lunch. Well, there's always tomorrow! Dang, it's tough being retired!

Peebles24 and rwj like this.
  2. nmkid

Well, it's been a couple of days(?) since I started this project! Yesterday I was in Lowe's and spotted some ceramic tile 12"x24" for $1.23 each and I remembered my long lost project. So, I got 4 of them and had them cut them to 12"x20" to fit the area where my scale will go. Now, how do I "glue" them together? Liquid nails?

3. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

You may also have them drill 1/4 inch holes at each corner for leveling bolts

SmittyJon likes this.
  4. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

Ok, I hate to sound dumb, but why do you put your scale on a heavy base?

5. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

More better

6. bobinpa

Ok, but I would think it's only as good as what the base is sitting on. If the bench moves, the granite won't help.... Or am I wrong?

dmoran likes this.
  7. Bojo

Bojo

Bobinpa I'm trying to wrap my head around this as well. I know for me air flow in my basement it what I have to watch for. I keep my scale setting on a wooden box I have leveled that sits about 12 "high off of my bench so I do not have to crunch down into bad posture yo read the beam.
    I would think that anti vibration would be more important than super heavy base unless said base had plenty of isolation dampness under it.
    My last name does end in ski though so I am at a slight disadvantage from the start.

Bc'z likes this.
  8. josh shrum

josh shrum Gold $$ Contributor

Bc'z likes this.
  9. sdean

sdean Gold $$ Contributor

Seems like you could put the pads under the scale. My 120 works just fine sitting on the bench.

10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Ferrite rings on the dc side of the power cord. Youre welcome. Put a $10,000 surface plate on a rickety bench and its the same as no plate. Rubber feet under said surface plate is also the same as no plate. Im convinced people read too much. Your scale does need all feet touching the same solid surface, but sitting on formica is the same as putting a 300lb surface plate on top of that formica. Get the ferrite rings, put the cell phone across the room, ditch the old fluorescent lights right above the scale and go get a single marble tile at lowes and youll be set.

Bc'z and foxguy like this.
  11. oldduc

oldduc Silver $$ Contributor

I just put my scales on my granite kitchen countertop which are mounted on heavy cabinets screwed to the floor and I don't have to worry about them.

12. bobinpa

I agree with Dusty. If you put a piece of granite on a bench that moves, all it does is help hold the bench down. A welded steel frame bench bolted to a concrete floor with a piece of granite for a top would be a different story...

Bc'z likes this.
  13. nmkid

All good ideas but, what do I use to "glue" the tiles together??

14. STS

STS Silver $$ Contributor

Elmers :D

15. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Get the right size tile one piece

muleystalker likes this.
  16. muleystalker

muleystalker

Return the tiles and buy one piece of granite or quartz tile from the same store and forget gluing.

Bc'z and dmoran like this.
  17. josh shrum

josh shrum Gold $$ Contributor

I am not sure where the wobbly bench came in.

Prior to putting my scales on granite with sorbothane feet, I could "see" when certain things happened in the house.

For example, I heat by burning wood. Anytime my circulating pump would come on to circulate hot water from the wood boiler, I could "see" those vibrations on my FX120i. Same with someone walking around on a different floor of the house. Hell, even our cat could make that scale move when he is into the catnip.

These are scales that are already on a line conditioner, on a solid bench, no where near aircon or florescents.

Did the granite with sorbothane feet make the scales more accurate? No, it made them easier for me to use. My reasoning was that any vibrations would have to travel through my bench, then through the vibration dampening sorbothane, finally transferring any remaining energy to some very heavy granite blocks. So far that seems to be the case.

Will they fix an already mediocre setup? Unlikely, and I doubt that many of the folk going to this level are working from a mediocre setup.

nmkid, I would suggest pure silicon caulk that you can get at you local hardware store. It should offer some vibration damping of its own, which is what we are after here.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    bobinpa, nmkid and Bc'z like this.
  18. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Silver $$ Contributor

I have a dedicated little side table I got off amazon for my scale. 50# of lead shot in the base of the table and it sits on a concrete floor. My Newton 123 will not level at least according to it's built in bubble level (that sits at a 45 degree angle ???). It has the ferrite choke built into the line. Temperature fluctuations and draft/air movement affects it more than anything else.