Granite/Quartz scale base question

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by nmkid, Sep 25, 2018.

1. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Was wondering how feasible a granite/quartz base would be for an electronic scale.

2. Keith Kilby

Keith Kilby

got a granite surface plate under mine....they're not that expensive. Look on machine tool supply web sites like MSC. They have a huge variety of sizes and prices

Steve morgan likes this.
  3. Bugs

Bugs Gold $$ Contributor

Put a big #12 rubber stopper under each corner of it and that should resolve any vibration issues that you may have (assuming it's on a solid, heavy table to begin with).

nmkid likes this.
  4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Granite surface plates come in a wide range of prices, from reasonable to extremely expensive. The cost is largely based on the size and "flatness" to which the surface is prepared. For the purpose of vibration dampening underneath a balance, the relative flatness isn't as critical. You should be able to find a surface plate based on the dimensions of the feet under your balance that will serve well for under $100. I put several strips of adhesive foam rubber weather stripping on the underside of mine to further dampen vibrations. Here is one example of a relatively inexpensive surface plate that should work just fine:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-x...MIpamNkZnX3QIVQdbACh0AWATTEAkYBSABEgKo6fD_BwE

5. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

Call a countertop company and get a "remnant". I had a finished quartz slab under mine.

fx77, pirate ammo, dickn52 and 3 others like this.
  6. pikespeakgoat

pikespeakgoat Gold $$ Contributor

I have been using a granite surface plate I purchased for next to nothing many years ago. Problem is that it's wayyyyy too heavy to move when needed. When I get rid of it, I'll just get a couple marble tiles to set my scales on.

7. Peebles24

Peebles24

At work in our lab the scale sits on a aluminum box filled 3/4 full with sand and a piece of aluminum on top of the sand. I assume it is for the massive vibration we have in the factory.

fx77 likes this.
  8. nmkid

I started on this, "project" after stores were closed. We'll see tomorrow.

9. dsculley

dsculley

Granite shops have samples. When they no longer carry a particular pattern they don't need the sample. Many will gladly give you the sample.

10. Just Dave

Just Dave Silver $$ Contributor

My local granite countertop supplier said they would cut and finish a small square for about $80.
    I wasn't looking to put that much money into a solid, flat base for my scale, so I went out to a local metal yard, and bought a piece of 5/8" thick soft steel, 16" square, filed/ground off the sharp edges, and sprayed it with vinyl dip paint. Total cost, about $45

11. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

Make sure you ask for a "Remnant". Remnants are leftovers and/or F-up's. They will want to get rid of these! Don't worry about color, this is not a fashion show...

12. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

Yes! We used instruments which were very sensitive to vibration and installed expensive isolation mounts. Funny the engineer in charge reported they could not afford those in school; and cut off a portion of a tennis ball, filled partially with sand, and used on bottom of table legs for damping effectively.

13. xring

xring Silver $$ Contributor

Kid , sorry this does not address your question , but it did jog my memory . Many years ago I had a chance to buy an Optical Bench ( actually two Benches ) which were made of Granite . I thought they would make really great Loading Benches . The upper surfaces were polished flat to 20 microinches / inch . I won't get into what we used them for , but they were about 12 inches thick and about 4 feet by 5 feet ( maybe a foot bigger ) . They were mounted on three points and the feet were 2feet by 2feet thick . They had plenty of steel threaded holes around the top surface to hold our Optics . Anyway , for some reason I can't remember ..... the Company eventually wanted to scrap them . They offered them to me for $40 each ! Can't remember how many thousands they cost . Unfortunately , I could not find anyone to move them and as they weighed over a Ton each ( if I recall correctly ) , my tiny Garage could just not hold them . Sure would have made world class reloading Benches .

fx77 and nmkid like this.
  14. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I would think a granite remnant with polished edges, also have them drill 1/4 holes at the corners for leveling screws

15. JMayo

JMayo

I would think vibrations to not have are machines running close by and bench is on a conventional foundation.
    Not the normal sitting on the bench while I pick up and set down bullet components.
    Don't shake the bench while weighing something applies no matter what it's sitting on.

16. mikeinct

mikeinct

The centers from sink cut outs work very well...Mike in Ct

simo hayha, Robbie610 and JMayo like this.
  17. josh shrum

josh shrum Gold $$ Contributor

I got some granite comparator plates cheap from Grizzly. Added 4 sorbothane feet (amazon, lowest durometer they had) to each plate. My Chargemaster sits on one, my A&D fx120i on the other.

Works very well.

IMG_2327.JPG

Jimmy James and Bc'z like this.
  18. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Gold $$ Contributor

I use a 1" thick piece of plate glass (cost $0) I got from a window place that specializes in commercial windows. Maybe it is 12" x 12" which he cut from some huge broken window. I don't this for a fact but I was told that plate glass is 'floated' when made and therefore flat.
    I am also a big believer in grounds for electronic equipment.

simo hayha, nmkid and mikeinct like this.
  19. nmkid

You got me!! This whole thing is for the big leap to the A&D fx 120i. I don't need one but, why not? Figure on down the line I'll still be able to get some pocket change for it.

20. nmkid

Well dang it. Neighbor came over this morning to borrow a couple of tools. He was installing rotors and pads on all four corners of his truck. So...I forgot all about the granite and I went to help, (get in the way). Finished up and then we went for some lunch. Well, there's always tomorrow! Dang, it's tough being retired!

Peebles24 and rwj like this.