Got a question for you all

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by ARshuter, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ARshuter

ARshuter Silver $$ Contributor

Let's say you bought an item from someone on here. Let's say a scale for say $500. When it arrives you set it up plug it in and it don't work. You notify the seller and get "it worked when it left here, how do I know you didn't have a power surge". How would you go about handling this.
    No damage to the shipping carton and no damage to the exterior of the item.

2. Just Say Moe

Just Say Moe

If it wasn't advertised as "as is" he should take it back. It's not worth ruining his name and reputation over. If it was "damaged in shipment" the insurance he should have paid for will cover it.

Bc'z likes this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Thats tough. You gotta put yourself in his shoes. If you sent out sensitive electronics to an unknown end would you refund the money and be stuck with a scale thats broke if it worked when you mailed it? Its all up to him being honest i guess and losing the money he needed for something else. Electronics esp very sensitive ones is a tough call

hogpatrol likes this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

It does suck for both of you really. Maybe he needed the money to pay bills and if he refunds you he wont have a scale or the money. You, now youre out the money you saved and no scale. Its a bad situation for sure. How much money here?

Ggmac and Bc'z like this.
  5. gunnermhr

gunnermhr

Check the power supply first, A&D scales are reverse polarity. At least mine is. If you tried connecting a standard polarity power supply you could have blown an internal fuse on the scale, which btw is an easy enough fix.

6. ARshuter

Wasn't advertised as is.

7. ARshuter

$500.00

8. Dusty Stevens

Man i sure hate that for both of you.

9. ARshuter

The display works but won't calibrate or zero. Reads -E

10. ARshuter

I could have bought one new for the same price I paid for this.but decided to help a fellow shooter out and we'll you get the rest.

11. 243winxb

243winxb

Are there instruction on how to reset the scale? Try that. Or call the manufacture on monday.

I ship as is, no returns. Some buyers have to take things apart for some reason. Even brand new guns.

msinc likes this.
  12. cheek9075

cheek9075

If it powers up, it's working. -E would mean under load. It can be caused by different reason. 1st, scale out of calibration, 2nd missing something, like the pan causing the scale to go below zero and giving the error, 3rd the load cell was damaged in shipping. The scales that we use to reload with have a stain gage, with capacity being so low, they can easy be damaged in shipping if shipping stops where not set correctly or missing.

It could be a simple calibration that is needed, or a load cell, or a loose wire, etc... lots of things could cause this. Find a local scale company, most will look at the scale and give you a quote on what it would take to fix it. If you cant find a local scale company, send me a message. I will look at it for you, I have worked on scales for 20 years.

13. Rustytigwire

Rustytigwire Gold $$ Contributor

Send it back, tell him to refund. It does not work for you. Not your fault. He should make good. "Power surge" is bs excuse.
    I would refund.

14. Willie

Willie Silver $$ Contributor

May not be your problem, but I had the same problem with an A&D, straight from the dealer. Soooo! I reread the instructions, leveled it and Bingo......

15. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

I'd make an exhaustive effort to ensure I've set it up properly & call the manufacturer & explain its symptoms.
    If determined it needs repair I'd ask the seller to reimburse me for this.
    This Sucks.

Keith

16. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

My vote is do this ^^^^^
    A very generous offer from a fellow forum member to be sure!

Lloyd

17. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Out of warranty?

18. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Did you check the sellers credentials, trade history, and ask questions before purchasing?

19. Just Dave

Just Dave Gold $$ Contributor

Likely the problem, .
    And a very kind offer to solve the problem, if possible.

20. ARshuter

I spent an hour on the phone with a tech, he walked me through various procedures. His decision
    Was load cell