Good day for coyotes

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by 5spd, Oct 9, 2017.

1. 5spd

5spd

Removed 3 off a larger ranch today.
    1st 3 sets were quiet, even though I would have put $$ on at least 1 coyote at each place.
    4th set the mangy female comes trotting into the call & sticks her nose on it then turns around and thwaap, neck shot. That happened so very fast as she popped up perfectly down wind and should of busted me when I saw her at 40 feet passing me like I was a nobody!
    The other 2 are of the same female at a different location.
    Called for 17 min, wrapped it up & bunched my stuff up to stand and a pair just pop over a down wind rise looking right at me....OH Pooo.
    Call is off, remote in pocket and I'm froze as they try to figure me out.
    They turn heads and I sit & get sticks back up, freeze as they see me & turn sideways so I get the rifle in the sticks as they start to come torwards me & drop over the hill crest. I slowly get the remote out and flip the call on a preset sound and the female is 60 yards facing me so I drop her and figure the male is gone. Nope he hears the call and pops up over the crest and I let a round into it, see it run then crash into the ground.
    I collect my goods, drag the female to an open spot and go to get the male.
    WHAT....nothing but a 4' long crash spot on the ground where he went down. "No way" I think. it has to be piled up right here.
    Nope, no where to be found. I track it and find 4 other spots it crashed into the ground on going down a drainage. I spent 45 min tracking to no avail and am bummed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

Good read as usual. Thanks for posting.

3. Barlow

Barlow Silver $$ Contributor

Congrats! Looks like a bad day for some coyotes. I saw one this morning at 400 yards for 2 seconds, and 30 minutes later he barked at me from the brush at about 125 yards. I'll get him next week. Barlow

pacificman likes this.
  4. pacificman

pacificman

Dude ...don't be bummed...you are blessed to nail the ones you got! :p:D Think of it as if the coyote is
    still alive you might see him another day and if he's dead than all the better...:D:D One more dang critter
    that won't be eating all the quail and destroying duck and goose eggs...:D

Gene66 likes this.
  5. 5spd

5spd

Made a quick run today when a local ranch called to say she saw a big coyote trying to get one of her sheep.
    I have removed 8 other coyotes off it since Sept.
    He was big & heavy at 38 lbs, mouth called him in with sheep cries in a drainage.
    Thwaap, down it goes. 6x45, 55g varmageddon at 104 yards.
    Sometimes I forget that mouth calling works wonders. I just took a single reed turkey diaphragm which I use for howling, whines all sorts of sounds, rifle, binos and went for it.
    [​IMG]

Toby Bradshaw, rebel and thekriebles like this.
  6. 6.5creed

6.5creed Silver $$ Contributor

Nice. Saw several coyotes and shot 2 while antelope hunting the last two weekends. Every time I took off on foot I bumped at least 2 in a mile to a mile and a half.