Golden Eagle on a Panda

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by MikeMcCasland, Oct 15, 2019.

1. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Gold $$ Contributor

Gents,

Finishing up a TR build, and I'm probably going to be putting a Golden Eagle on a Panda action (HV barrel). This is the version of the Panda with the picatinny rail system.

What rings and height do I want to save max weight and clear a mirage shield? Based on my calculations, I'm going to be using every bit of 18.2, so trying to save weight where I can.

Stock is an adjustable XIT, so should be able to make most heights work. I don't have the action in hand, otherwise I'd just install my other GE to see.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

I had to go with high mounts but I have a chassis with a tube hand guard I had to clear.
    I would do some measurements and then add 1/4 to 1/2 inch

3. johnnyi

johnnyi Gold $$ Contributor

@Medium rare shoots panda, GE and HV barrels. adding him here. I'm sure he can dial you in...

I think it would be about 1.25" rings

dogdude and MikeMcCasland like this.
  4. MikeMcCasland

Thanks Johnny! I actually switched things up and ordered an NF comp yesterday (I wanted to be able to blame my 570s on POI shift ;)). Same objective though, so really appreciate any insight Medium Rare has.

5. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

I initially had NF High rings but went up to Intermediate High for extra clearance. There is a slight chance your bolt handle will hit the rear eyepiece. If it does, you either go higher ring, or Kelblys will bend the handle to clear.

Heavy Palma barrel in picture.
    20191017_115255.jpg 20191017_115523.jpg

dmoran, johnnyi and MikeMcCasland like this.
  6. johnnyi

golden eagle with NF ultra light rings and top ring bubble level with sunshade and scope caps weigh 2# 3.2 ounces
    golden eagle with vortex precision rings (seekins) with the ultra light bubble level, sunshade and scope caps weighs 2# 4.5 ounces.

VOrtex rings are 1.26" and I have plenty of room over full 1.25" straight barrel. The NF UL rings are right in that same (or close) range of height. Plenty of clearance on straight 1.25 barrels.

dogdude and MikeMcCasland like this.
  7. MikeMcCasland

You're the freaking man; exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Johnny!

johnnyi likes this.
  8. johnnyi

I have a weight challenge on a rifle i'm trying to shoot for a bench rest game. So I have been checking all of my components and things to see what weighs what so I can plan what barrel profile to get for this rifle. I had all of this stuff off and thought to weigh each. I remembered you asking about heights and thought maybe weights were important for you as well. You can subtract another 1 ounce for the aluminum scope covers to get pretty close. but I would plan a little wiggle room so you are not faced with a sale variance between your scale and the match scales that are out there...

My heaviest open rifle was pushing it. I have it now adjusted to 3 ounces under so I can deal with some weight variance.

Also keep in mind if you travel to a match and need rain cover for your rifle, they will ask you to weigh that into your kit as well. so keep those in mind as well.

9. MikeMcCasland

I had no idea the rules were that stringent. I think I'll just put mine under the truck in that case. :D

johnnyi likes this.
  10. johnnyi

if it’s raining. I sit inside my truck with the gun! Make sure it stays out of the weather.

11. Field & Cave

Field & Cave Site $$ Sponsor

Oh crap! Getting serious. Whatcha building for LG Fly Chootin'???

12. johnnyi

yes sir. My light gun is my 6creedmoor tactical rifle. I have bob sled but it still hangs up. So I have to flick it forward into the chamber. I just end up moving it around way to much. It’s super accurate, but moving around in the duck soup we are shooting in doesn’t do me any favors. So I’m changing to a lighter profile barrel for my BRA. My old one has around 2000 rounds so it’s about time anyways. Starting with an F open rifle with 22# limit and tuning the same gun to 17# is more challenging than I thought.

13. sdeal5

sdeal5 Gold $$ Contributor

BRA orrrr Dasher? What’s it gonna be Johnnyi?LOL

14. johnnyi

A 6MM of something ?? ;)

15. Field & Cave

Field & Cave Site $$ Sponsor

Blaze a new trail. Try the 6GT

16. johnnyi

too much trouble to make brass... I dont believe there is any Alpha Brass available. I guess it all got gobbled up.