Glass for New Match Rifle Rules

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by watercam, Nov 12, 2019.

1. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Knowing full well what a can of worms I am opening, what scopes are folks using for sling Match Rifle these days? I am at the point where irons are getting harder to see regardless of lenses (total of 3). Weight is a huge factor for me so Nightforce-weight glass is out. Only need 20X at the top end. Definitely want a 30mm tube, 50mm objective or less. Leupold? Sightron? Other? Under $1000 if possible.
    Thanks in advance!
    (No, I am not switching to F-Anything yet)

GSS likes this.
  2. m1jeff

m1jeff

3. gme

gme Site $$ Sponsor

Mike, if you're shooing prone a fixed power scope will work fine, if you're talking about XTC a variable is a better choice, mainly because varying the power helps with getting eye relief right in the different positions set-ups

JLT likes this.
  4. watercam

Wish I could shoot XTC. No off-hand or sitting for this spine of mine.
    Thanks Gary, I do have the good old Weaver T24 on my .223 Mid-range gun. Having a hard time keeping my older Leupold 6.5-20x40 scopes running smoothly. Just wondering if I am missing out on any better options that I can afford.
    As an aside you are making A LOT of Oregon shooters VERY happy! One gal ordered a chrome (?) one in the hopes she can blind the competition;).

gme likes this.
  5. bored184

bored184 Silver $$ Contributor

I've got a Sightron SIII 8-32 x 50 I use on my prone guns when I do shoot scope. I like it but I have no experience with other scopes. I was on a pretty strict budget and the Sightron fit the bill nicely.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    waltkrafft and SPJ like this.
  6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Do you have a link to the "new Match Rifle rule" that allows higher than 4.5X mag? Not stirring the pot, just hadn't heard about it yet. Thanks.

7. r bose

r bose

8. kzin

kzin

I think 'new' in the OP means a couple years ago when match rifle went from irons to optics

https://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

3.2 Any rifle
    3.3 NRA Match Rifle
    both say 'any sights' or 'no restriction'

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

I see, thanks. Apparently, service rifle is still limited to 4.5X, but Match or Any are not limited with respect to maximum magnif

10. waltkrafft

waltkrafft Gold $$ Contributor

I have several 8-25 loopies and a couple of 8-32 Sightrons. I think they are pretty much equal. The extra power is nice on those days when conditions let you use it. For xtc go second focal plane. I like a dot but can make a crosshair work. I think the new loopies are over priced. For that money I would go Nightforce or spurge for a March.

11. watercam

Thanks for the replies folks. Seems I am on the right track (every pun intended).

12. wkdickinson

wkdickinson Gold $$ Contributor

I competed XTC seriously for a long time (master), but 20 years ago. I have since tried to get back into it, but age has taken its toll. However, I am kind of playing at F-class and recently purchased a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 for a rebarrelled M70 match rifle and I am impressed. I also have a Vortex GE and a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 and I think the Sightron compares very well. Given your $1K budget, I doubt you could do much better.

13. Park ranger

Park ranger

I like my March for sling shooting. The clicks work. I was using a sightron and it was ok, but that model had 7.5 moa to a rev. Harder to keep track in my head. Get 1/4 moa if you can, 1/8th is too fine for sling shooting.

1shot likes this.
  14. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Gonna have to shrink those targets

15. watercam

:)
    Not with MY hold...:)

16. 1shot

1shot

I have 4 prone rifles. A 10-60 March sits on my primary 1K rifle. A 12-42 NF on the backup. Both of my 600 yd. rifles wear 8-32 NF scopes. All are 1/4 moa adjustment and have tracked reliably for years.

Lloyd

17. watercam

Sounds like you are an F-class shooter as I am still a slinger. Need lighter weight options but thanks!

18. Matthew Schwartzkopf

Matthew Schwartzkopf Silver $$ Contributor

I just started shooting sling. (convert from F Class) Decided a few weeks ago to take my irons off and put on a scope for a day. Put on a Weaver T36. Worked great.

19. watercam

Welcome to the Fraternity! Nice to have you. How is the T36 at 600?

20. 1lnbrdg

1lnbrdg