Glass bedding a Weatherby MK V

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Ironworker, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Ironworker

Ironworker

I have a Weatherby Accumark in 338-378 WBY Mag. What type of bedding compound would be best in this beast ?

2. cahunter805

cahunter805

Devcon is what I prefer to bed rifles with.

BR7.62 likes this.
  3. Preacher

Preacher Gold $$ Contributor

Deacon works very well, but shrinks more than Gray Marine Tex, for whatever thats worth...

4. Billy 30-06

Billy 30-06

Be sure to bed the first 2" of the barrel. With the front action screw being in the recoil lug this will help with torquing the stock. This is a flaw in the Mark V action.
    Billy

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

6. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

The Weatherby I had was glass bedded at the factory. Is this no longer the case?

Ironworker likes this.
  7. Ironworker

Ironworker

That's interesting ,I'll check .

8. K22

K22

You should not have to bed or mess with a Mark V bedding system. If you're having group issues I'd exhaust all other possibilities before messing with the Mark V's bedding and stock.

P.S. The most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned is a Mark V Super varmint master. This rifle, out of the box, with tailored reloads shot sub 1/4 moa groups all day. Fellow shooters I know have had the same results with other Mark V's.

9. Ironworker

Ironworker

Its a 338-378 and the problem was ,the recoil stretched and shook the standard Leupold rings up where they cam into the base. Scope wiggled like jello . I'm now awaiting shipment of Steel rail with a recoil lug in it .