Get them started early.

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by johnmventers398, Jan 12, 2019.

1. johnmventers398

johnmventers398

One day I'm sure she will be a better shot than i

Attached Files:

JayHHI6818, Rsadams, swd and 7 others like this.
  2. Zero333

Zero333

That's so cute.

too-cute-puppie.jpg

Snuggie and hogpatrol like this.
  3. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Great pic of a future shooter!! :D:D:cool:

Paul

4. jackson1

jackson1 Silver $$ Contributor

It only gets worse. I am blessed with three grand daughters, two that I provide grampa day care for. They all have a great fascination with my reloading equipment. The eight year old, with my help, loads shot shells. The four year old loves the unpainted blue stock of my BRA. Currently the are both shooting target bows. They both enjoy trips to my gun club watching me shoot trap and skeet. Grampa keeps the Pepsi flowing. Hopefully they will gain a love of shooting from their Grandpa. My secret goal is to make them better shooters, hunters, and fly fisherwomen than the boys around them. As they grow time spent with Grandpa will fade, but the memories last a lifetime. John never forget how lucky yo are.

Snuggie, SSL, hogpatrol and 1 other person like this.
  5. Geno C

Geno C

C5A8E245-802B-4FFE-BBCD-0F3AB2595B3C.jpeg Mine start young, but not that young! Cash loves running the press. He doesn’t care if it’s sizing or seating bullets. His older brother has been loading his own ammo since he was old enough to shoot.

6. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading

I love to see this. It brings back memories of when my son was young and interested in learning about shooting and reloading. (magic moments making memories)
    Please, please, please consider incorporating eye protection into the process from day one.
    Respectfully,
    Paul

Zero333 likes this.
  7. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Paul,
    As you are in the industry, perhaps a post regarding accidents while reloading would be instructive to all?
    Mike

8. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

Great start! All three of my kids (two girls and a boy) started shooting early. All still respect the sport and my second daughter and son (both in their 30s) still shoot targets. My second daughter fell in love with my various .45 ACPs very early and became proficient enough to run off prospective boy friends by refusing to allow them to out shoot her. I told her that if their egos were that fragile they weren't worth the time. She married a great guy with no firearm experience that now loves to shoot.
    The oldest of my granddaughters (10 years old) is starting to ask about shooting. Little difficult since they live halfway across the country in a non-firearms friendly area (Bethesda, Maryland), but summer vacation is coming!
    The other seven grand kids run from 8 years down to one day (born yesterday!) so I have a few years to go!
    Keep up that good work and help preserve our sport.

Zero333 and Snuggie like this.
  9. Snuggie

Snuggie F/TR-F/Open Gold $$ Contributor

Great story! Congrats grandpa ! Again!

10. johnmventers398

johnmventers398

I'm really looking forward to what is to come. Hopefully it is a hobby we will be allowed to share long into the future .
    Thank you for the lovely story. We are both lucky

11. johnmventers398

johnmventers398

Some really lovly Stories . Getting the next generation started young and safely is for sure the way to keep shooting alive.

Here in Scotland we have an annual outing with the local school and take them to the hill for a simulated stalk .we then get the year group to help butcher a beast picked up a few days before .

It's hugley valuable to the students .teaching them about food and how we get it.

Mulligan and Zero333 like this.
  12. savagedasher

savagedasher

All my children and grandchildren and now great grandchildren
    Have been shooting guns and hunting before they were 10
    But none shot a gun with recoil that would reunion them for life
    Recoil and noise is a spoiler

SSL likes this.
  13. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

Good for You! You bring up a very important point. The days of sadists handing a youngster a light single-shot 12-gauge with heavy loads just to laugh uproriosly at their pain is simply medieval. More kids have been turn off from shooting because of such asinine behavior than probably anything else. All the new shooters I have dealt with I started the way I was.: decent pellet rifle, .22LR , .410 shotgun, 20-gauge , 12-gauge, centerfires rifles as appropriate. I never try to get them to hunt with a .410, opting instead for a 20-gauge built on a 12-gauge pattern with light loads. .410 is an excellent round, but those super tight chokes typical on most can discourage a young shooter fast.
    As a side note, and not to start a big turmoil: Never be fooled that 20-gauge shotguns recoil less than 12-gauge. Same weight load at same velocity out of a typical purpose-designed light 20-gauge can actually kick harder than a standard 12-gauge.

johnmventers398 likes this.
  14. Homerange

Homerange

It's worse than that !
    Seen a few blokes bring their teenagers to my range with their kids new hunting rifle and expect them when firing their first centerfire to also sight the scope in too. After a box of ammo belting the poor little bugger around and still not properly sighted in they leave with all ammo shot but it's 'near enough' according to pop. <rolls eyes>
    Even today there's some bugger that always knows best how to introduce their kids to the great sport of shooting and hunting.
    Recoil and shot report are the enemy of the young .....especially at the bench.

And another reason why there isn't more women in the sport. :(

15. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

Actually, I have introduced many women other than my daughter's to shooting. They usually come to the sport without preconceptions or the "I'm a man, I know everything" attitude that so many adult males seem to have. As a result, they are easier to coach. I agree that we need more women enjoying our sport.
    The incidents you reference seem like the same issue. "You're male, get it right. Do it my way, but I'm not going to take the time or effort to reach you the way. " so sad and frustrating for the youngster.
    Bottom line: Your most important job is raising and teaching that child. Nothing trumps that job. Do it right.

16. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

Me and my buddy were up on the hill doing a little plinking yesterday. I'm not gonna sit back and watch you old fogies brag about your youngins with out getting in the game.

This one has three older sisters and a brother that I damn near missed sharing time with. I'm not gonna miss out on her. jd

IMG_2378.jpg

Geno C, Zero333, SSL and 1 other person like this.
  17. savagedasher

savagedasher

I loaded lite 1 oz in a 12 and a automatic on top of that and the barrel was ported.
    Why would someone want to ruen their children is beyond me

SSL likes this.
  18. Boisblancboy

Boisblancboy

98D093CF-21B5-465C-BC94-751E927491F5.jpeg My little guy while I was reloading.

SSL and Zero333 like this.
  19. Zero333

Zero333

Your picture tells a wonderful story. And the Bulldog in this story completes the image like nothing else could.

Also, johnmventers398 picture is the beginning of a story I hope to see updates about.

Geno C likes this.
  20. ebb

ebb

It will happen way sooner than you think.